Classic looks

I stand corrected. I actually thought you were referring to another gaming franchise that also had a game abbreviated RS that got rehauled as OSRS

I disagree. I have friends who play on servers that shall not be named, and they tell me there is a significant number of young people who never played pre-expac (or TBC), and enjoy the heck out of it.

There is a market out there for a game that plays like pre-expansion WOW played. I think there are probably more kids open to casual gaming experiences ( like Fortnite) than deeper investment games like Classic WOW
but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Updated visuals would go a long way to pull and retain those folks, once they’ve become invested in the game play and community. I also think updated graphics would go a long way to pull in current retail players, who are looking for a more meaningful WOW experience.

My hope is that there is a way to allow players to switch between models / animations. While I’d much prefer to use the new ones, I realize my preferences are subjective and everyone is entitled to their own. Making both styles available through a video setting change would serve everyone, and wouldn’t impact game play.

He now considers them completely different games by his own words, yet he still wants the original Vanilla graphics to be in BfA. That’s a double standard, it’s unconstrained hypocrisy.

If he was not a hypocrite, he would be saying “I want them to completely remove all the original Vanilla graphics from BfA, as they are completely different games now; they should have completely different graphics.”

The model toggle worked fine throughout WoD until they launched the Legion pre-patch that contained new animations.

If the new animations aren’t possible, I’d gladly settle for just the new models. There are moding communities for the illicit and illegal pservers that have made this work.

Yes some “kids” will play Classic; however they will be the minority. But as for adding the option to choose b/w old and new, the main problem is that its more work for the devs(which means the release date would be pushed). Not to mention the extreme headache it would be for the animations in particular. The time it would take would be better spent on the game or even a sooner release date. While you may be okay with w8ing, others will not if it means only adding graphic options.

Why do I want it to look like it did in 2004? Because that’s what Classic is. Why do people want to raid like it was Vanilla? Why do people want Vanilla talent trees, Vanilla dungeons, Vanilla quests, etc, etc. The look of the game is as important as any other aspect. And you don’t upgrade art. It’s part of the game’s identity. It’s indicative of the time in which it was made.

To say, ‘Oh, we need to make it look like a 2019 game’ is harmful to Classic’s success. You’re taking away from authenticity. You’re eliminating the draw of the project. What makes it stand out and differentiate from Current WoW. Those differences are strengths, not weaknesses. The devs need to rely on what sets the games apart, not try to make them more similar.

In addition to what was just said; that same development time needed to do modern models would be better spent getting the game done 100% accurately.

If the game was done and the project had a delayed release, that dev time would be better spent working on a different project all together than modern models.

Different projects could be TBC or a Classic inspired optional expansion game.

I agree with this. I don’t want many changes, but graphic enhancements would be great IMO. At least add a slider and let people choose if they want the old style vs the new style.

The old water was just hideous lol

1 Like

It would be nice if there was at least an API option to toggle on the new models for players/creatures/druid forms/etc., if nothing else. That way people who don’t want the updated graphics don’t even have to deal with the option, but people who’d like the less horribly blocky look can use scripts or an addon to switch to new models, rather than the only option being to break ToS and manually substitute the models.

Not sure I agree with you 100% on your police work there, Lou.

Police work?

Translation from Fargo Minnesota-nice: I disagree with you.

Uhm
 ok?

1 Like

other players deciding how my character’s appearance will be rendered in game (beyond resolution/shadows) is a bad idea.

mmorpgs are a shared common experience. each individual player can fine tune the visual experience of others (as regards their own character), ONLY, by modifying the class/race/visible armor of their character, as provided by the developers.

there are limitations of what you can and cannot do to other player’s choices in this regard: et.al, increasing/decreasing how many pixels are rendered, for example, but not having textures where other players appear naked or animate differently for you then for others, etc.

the moment someone else (besides devs) can change the choices i have made for my character, it’s no longer a shared common experience, rather its you deciding how my character will appear to you, when its not the choice i made for my character. we arent sharing a common experience at that point. i’d go so far as to say, that it would remove the rpg part from the mmo part.

2 Likes

I can turn your blueish Void Elf into a red one by adjusting my monitors colors.

1 Like

that’s something the devs cant control when providing a shared common experience. you can also see my character on a huge screen or a teeny tiny one, changing her size but its at least still in ratio to the environment (everything changes with it as it is a shared common environment).

the new gnome female run animation looks like a toddler running, vs. the vanilla version that looks like a small adult running. if i prefer the character to run like a small adult, i dont want you being able to render it like a toddler. it has social impact. like i dont want some purveyor of children hitting on me cause they assume my toddler like character indicates i’m a child. i want the short to be short, not diaper wearing.

They don’t even do this in BFA, I doubt they would do this in Classic for the exact same reasons.

Classic graphics > retail.

No.

Well, they are starting from the modern client, which I’d assume includes all the modern art assets. I do know they hired people to work on developing pre-expansion graphics so if there is any dev time spent anywhere, it’s on recreating the old stuff.

That said, I’d take the option to make available modern graphics at a later date if it meant pushing back launch to have it ready at the start.