Classic looks

Hi guys, I just made a lvl 10 warrior so that I could express my view here on the US foru, in hope somebody important might stumble upon this. I care about the Classic very much. I am from Serbia and I play on EU realms :slight_smile: I want to express my thoughts regarding the looks of the game. While I am of the opinion that nothing should be changed game-play wise, I think that the visuals need to be updated to at least MOP quality, preferably BFA. The 1.12.1 is too old, severely outdated, almost Minecraft-like. Vanilla is very fresh in my mind, so when I compare it to retail, it’s night and day… Playing some retail made me think: "My God, what a jewel this would be if all things stayed as they were, all but the graphics. In retail, the grass blades move as I walk, water looks awesome, character models’ moves are streamlined and flowing. My Vanilla female warrior, in contrast, moves jerkingly, looks kind of like a housewife and runs stiffly as if she’s got a stick up her bottom.
Working with young people as a secondary school teacher I know what they think. I showed my students a Vanilla client and they liked it immensely… But would they play it? Well, no1 Why, I asked them. They said it looked too old, two dimensional and as one girl said, “the toon looks like a cardboard cut-out…”
When the game came out 17 CRT monitors with 1024X768 resolution were standard, so things were small, imperfections hidden…
I sincerely hope you will not butcher what you worked so hard over the years to improve… I understand the no-changes attitude, and am all for it… But this would have nothing to do with game-play difficulty, and can be made a client based option only… I hope you do something about this. Veterans like muself will play Classic, uprated graphics or not, but new, young generation of players WILL NOT, rest assured. If graphics isn’t improved to today’s standards, they will only get as far as the character selection screen… In the end, i wish to thank you for bringing my game back, in any form, with all my heart!!! keep moving forward…

7 Likes

With the 7.3.X client they are using to restore the game with. There have been some noticable differences in terms of quality of the textures. I suggest you go look at some of the demo footage on Youtube. It looks a lot cleaner than it did in 2006.

Give me old models or give me death.

Last week i reinstalled bfa to see what was up. I didn’t resub. I made a level one character and couldn’t get past level 3. The models are terribad imo. I love the old school models better. Newer is not always better. Tbh if they had updated models I’d probably not play. I just hate them that much.

5 Likes

I’d love if we had client side modding graphics and textures. In Vanilla and BC you could mod them. I didn’t hear of anyone getting banned for them, but I think they changed the mechanic of it in Season 2 TBC arena because you could also mod your character model somehow to be able to cheat.

If we had client side modded textures though, the game could be future proofed, and with unpaid modders doing the work, it’d cost Blizzard nothing. If Blizzard did want to regulate which textures could go up, then they could make a separate Blizzard membership sub that allowed only the ones they allowed to be used. That way they could protect brand identity to some degree, like Thrall shouldn’t be modded into a Jedi Knight or something. Blizzard could set the limits. But Blizzard shouldn’t sell the skins, it messes up eventually like Bethesda has found themselves in. They could offer advertising to patreons of modder artists or other similar web sites that feature donations or direct sales of artwork. But the modded textures should be no cost, just a cost to allow any modded text to be used.

U mean everyone looks like a walking fat panda ?

3 Likes

I like the Pandas.

1 Like

Booooo pandas! Boooooooo!

3 Likes

I like the updated graphics, and I agree with the OP. Releasing a game with 15+ year old graphics is a bad idea… I played the demo and loved the visuals.

1 Like

Smells like a Saqe/Whiskee thread

5 Likes

I don’t care about graphics

The reason I played OSRS instead of the new RS is because of the old graphics. The reason I play Pokémon Emerald or Platinum is because of the old graphics as opposed to White or X.

Old graphics are often a lot nicer and a lot less DOPAMINE INDUCINGGGG

I have a 4:3 Monitor just to play classic wow when it comes out.

That’s how dedicated I am.

2 Likes

Give me old models and animation why in the flying fudge do the new animations make my tauren bounce around and flail his arms around like a rtard. Give me flat footed running.

4 Likes

Even if the game looked like bfa “kids” wouldnt play it cuz its too slow and grindy…if your argument was true, kids would be playing Total War games not Fortnite. Classic isnt meant to bring a new audience, its for the ppl that left years ago.

7 Likes

I disagree. As they said at the Classic panel at Blizzcon. It is for the old players, as well as the new young generation of players, in their words… Do you really think Blizzard will do this solely to please us, veterans? of course not. I also disagree with the poster who said that the kids wouldn’t play it because it is too grindy… Grindy or not, it takes skill from lvl 1. Hell, it takes skill to tank an heal Deadmines… Everybody likes a challenge, the old and the young… In retail there is NO chellenge at all from 1-120. The kids will love Classic thus, but will have serious difficulty overcoming the outdatedness of the original game… I work with young people, and have two teenage kids at home… I know how they think… They like to be kept on their toes, but they are all about looks as well… Visual appeal is the first thing to tick off… And they cant be from 2004! What I find really sad is that all other gaming legacy projects actually put in a lot of work to update visuals. Here, people push for the reverse process, where the updated visuals are readily available…

1 Like

Not every kid is a gamer tho. There is a big difference between a gamer and those who enjoy the occasional video game.

Gamers really care about the game play while the other can be easily turned off or attracted by graphics.

That’s why certain games regardless of their graphics are super popular while others with vastly superior graphics may flop completely even after massive investment into the game by the developer.

It 100% comes down to game play for the gamer. Some gamers preference simple graphics because there are actual performance gains to be had because of simplistic graphics.

2 Likes

Gotta say I don’t care about the graphics either way. But, top notch pun name, Platewinslet.

Have u even seen anny of the Demo footage?

Probably not…

Lol client models, more specifically their animations, are so horrible.

2 Likes