Classic looks

Just imagine yourself trying out WoW Classic for the first time in your life in 2019 and you are greeted with the character selection screen from 2004. Cmon guys, google out some WoW Vanilla images… I agree with you generally. It all boils down to the gameplay, but the old 1.12.1 is so horribly outdated, the models are so unforgivably ugly that the first box simply doesnt tick… Gameplay comes later. The car has to look good, then drive well… Its literally rough cardboard cut outs…

1 Like

Thats the marketing team talking, very similar to when game companies say: “The most ambitious game we have ever made!” Dont forget, WoW had over 11 million players at its peak, blizz would be more than happy to have even half of that back, ie the “veterans.” Moreover if Activision Blizzard really believed that it was also for the “new young generation of players” they would have referred to it in the earnings call as a major release. More than likely its just a done and dusted project, not their answer to something like battle royal games.

They will do what they will do. These are only my two cents. I want the game to be hard and challenging as it was back in the day, NO changes in that respect. But I would like it to greet us in its full modern glory!!! Be as it may. Thank you works team for ressing this jewel, in any form!!!

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

I don’t care for the new models, especially their facial features.
Most of the new combat animations are just ok, nothing earth shattering that I can’t live without.
The running animations on the majority of races are too bouncy and very distracting. I’d hate to see that for 40 levels!
I could live with the older models getting a bit of smoothing out, maybe make them appear more 3D but that’s about it.

I understand that everyone has their opinions and that some people really love the new art (I am one of them; I think the new art is incredible in context). But I’m sorry, this statement (the part that I bolded and italicized) is just objectively untrue with the exception of some of the critter models.

The irony is that minecraft is (as vanilla was) successful IN SPITE of the graphics not being too polished. Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>fancy graphics.

I imagine OP’s “teenage kid’s” heads would explode if she suggested they play chess, or worse; checkers.

7 Likes

Oh, and…

I don’t have to google the images, I’ve played recently on a computer with decent cpu/gpu capabilities to be able to turn everything up to Ultra. Googling screenshots taken in 2005/2006 will almost never get you very good quality.

I could actually care less what the menu looks like so long as it’s decently intuitive and I can understand what’s going on without the need for a shop manual.

Dead serious, this is the major problem with a great number of UI’s in a countless number of programs and webpages.

This is actually something BLIZZARD does very well, their UI’s are typically decent, although I would point out that their modern web page and customer service components are far less than intuitive, and I do feel this is done intentionally to reduce the number of people who would like to use the customer service.

Given that they’re obviously moving over to AI with nearly everything… Who cares if the customer support channels are getting blitzkrieg’d by customers with questions.

You dont need a decent computer to run Vanilla on ultra. The crap one with integrated Gpu would run it on ultra without a sweat. I may have exaggerated a bit when I said 1.12.1 is like Minecraft, but it is not far off either. I play Vanilla on a 2k monitor and if you zoom in on a toon or Npc it looks awful… Even the environment is pretty shabby compared to retail… Take a look at a tree in Elwyn forest, for example… What I am saying, if it is impossible to bring it to retail quailty, than at least bring it to MOP quality with a toggle. MOP got a lot of visuals updated, both the environment and models. What is good about char. models in MOP was that they were the old models, but in their latest iteration… They obviously increased the polygon number over the years and polished and streamlined the movement… I was looking at some Demo videos and I was under the impression that the models were from the MOP, which is great, and I wouldn’t touch it… They brought the toggle for the environment, I hope they will sort the rest out and give us a classic WoW not a Vanilla WoW… Some people are already crying and asking why pay for a 14 year old game… Well, if they do it properly, it will be a new game… Like I said, touch NOTHING but the visuals. Those who want it to look like 1.12.1 can move the slider to 1.

So? Are we asking for changes?

1 Like

NO CHANGES. These are only visuals to make the game look better. Those die hard Vanilla fanatics could move the slider to 1. It should give them low textures, 2d faces, no shadows, minimum view distance, no ground clutter etc…

1 Like

So u still haven’t replied, but did u look at the max settings on demo?

1 Like

So you are asking for changes.

You play the same graphics as they was in vanilla.

5 Likes

Yep, but mainly the environment comparisson… They added new water, shadows, and ground clutter, which is nice… Let them update the models looks and movment to their latest itration before the remake in WoD and I am satisfied :slight_smile:

Since I tackled movement… have you noticed how bad underwater movement was back in Vanilla? You had to hit the jump key every second to get you moving upwards… kind of lame…

For the old models in their latest iteration you tube All Race Character Models - MISTS OF PANDARIA BETA FOOTAGE and take a look at Vanilla races. They are old models, but the latest version. The difference in looks and movement when compared to 1.12.1 is obvious… They added higher textures, polished movement etc so I hope they will use these…:ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

I still have no idea why people think models from a different game should be put into Vanilla. That thought would never even occur to me. It has no basis in reality.

Because this is not Vanilla but Classic. What I don’t get, and what has no basis in reality for me is why people want the game to look like it did in 2004? All the legacy projects are making efforts to update visuals, and here you have them readily available. In spite of that some of you want the downgrade.If it’s only for the nostalgia, it will wear off quickly and people will just laugh at how ugly it is… Luckily, judging by what I have seen and heard so far, Blizz are more likely to offer a visually refreshed version, and allow you die hard no changes whatsoever dudes the slider to be moved to min. distance, no shadows, no clutter and 2D low resolutions… I just wish them to keep moving in the right direction :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, you are wanting updated graphics? Might as well go all in. Let’s add LFR, Dungeon Finder, Transmogs, Cash Shop, etc…

The graphics in the demo were updated, there was lots of grass shrubs in Barrens and all kinds of clutter in the ground. Also I think everything was a bit more HD than in 1.12 client. You have the option to disable the upgraded graphics. I think the way the demo looked was well balanced the graphics are just a little improved to make me even more excited, but not enough to make me think I’m looking at a different game.

When I watched a stream of Classic demo the graphic update wasn’t as clear as playing the demo myself.

That’s a quote from Mogar on the old forums. It never gets old laughing at the double standard.