Classic is getting very toxic...and it's dangerous

Pvp has always been toxic as hell. This is why I avoid pvp servers and pvp in general

10 Likes

No, this is what happens when youtube and twitch “stars” go on a rampage turning the community into zombies. Maelstrom was not a spell cleave only server, neither was Emerald Dream. People invited whoever for pretty much anything sub 60 and that’s just not the case with classic. Retail taint has crept in. So again retail wow hurts the brand.

20 Likes

It’s humanity. And toxic behavior is depending upon the person’s opinion and perception. Instead of realizing this people scream that anyone who disagrees with them or jokes about things they are passionate about is toxic. The word toxic is overused and misused.

9 Likes

You’re saying playing a good class is not min/maxing? but then you say they chose those classes because they are demonstrably better than most…that’s min/maxing.

You’re solution to everything is form my own groups? I already do that, I prefer it, but like I said, this is a problem I see affecting other people, not just myself.

regardless…

I’m not telling people how to enjoy the game, I’m just stating that Vanilla was about community above all else. Vanilla is not a game to measure your skill, retail has more technical raids, pvp, m+, basically everything.

My point is, if you bring a modern gamer mentality into Classic (gotta rush and clear all content asap), the game will eat itself into oblivion. Content is easy and slim, the community makes or breaks this game and if people want Blizzard to move forward with it, people need to keep playing it.

2 Likes

It’s felt pretty normal to me, but it could just be my server.

It’s the people that soured, not the game.

6 Likes

Agreed.

I’ve been playing a LOT and I haven’t seen any toxicity like he describes.

4 Likes

I’m on Herod and mostly friendly groups. Occasional troll/jerk, but that’s rare. Most just get the quest/dungeon done, say goodbye, and leave the group. Sometimes you get someone to add to your friends list.

Main issue is the server queues. If I’m disconnected I’m done for the night.

2 Likes

I rolled a mage because I enjoy ranged DPS and have a frost mage on Retail. I don’t even watch streamers. /shrug

As for your concerns, gaming today has attracted a very competitive and often cutthroat crowd, and those people (not I) are all about min/maxing. You can recreate the Vanilla environment in Classic, but modern gamers simply are who they are. I haven’t experienced the awful behavior described, but that might be due to me mostly questing in the open world instead of pugging dungeons.

4 Likes

I’m on Kirtonos and general chat channels are full of children bullying each other with locker room talk. That wasn’t how it was on Stormreaver in 2004, people were just talking about the quests and the game itself. The community is a lot more toxic than it was when I originally played the game, I find myself using ignore constantly whereas I don’t think I ignored a single player in 2004.

11 Likes

I noticed once I hit level 50 that the atmosphere changed drastically compared to how it was from 1-40. No more buff sharing Fly bys, not so much as a ty for saving people from certain doom, and in most cases people will leave you to die before landing a hand.

It’s shaping up to be an outright miserable experience for everyone at 60 who doesnt already have friends to play with.

9 Likes

Meh, I remember plenty of idle chatter in Vanilla. Experience varies. Also you cannot recreate 2004. That’s a bubble long burst.

2 Likes

I think much of it has to do with your level and class Vaindil. It was not so bad pre 30. Post 30 the leveling fatigue really kicks in for folks.

Dungeon groups specifically become exclusive to warriors, mages, priests, and warlocks unless you make your own group.

2 Likes

Wrong. In Vanilla the goal was to be toxic against the other faction which was ok, not to be toxic your own allied faction which kinda started in latter BC when arena gear became much better than other PvP gear.

Exactly. There is such a drastic shift in mentality once you are through the first 30-40 levels, it becomes a different game community wise, it’s really hard for folks to understand until they reach it.

Literally everything you said has happened, no fly by buffs, have to BEG mages for water multiple times in groups, save people in pvp and pve in the world and they don’t say a word, and people will watch you die to take the mob, or they will ninja tag mobs you were clearly about to hit. Just a few of the many examples that are difficult to articulate into a feeling of unease that did not really exist in vanilla.

5 Likes

I would imagine this is server-dependent or something. I’ve run SM the last 3 times, and we’ve just grabbed what we can and go. Nobody is spamming for AoE farms or anything.

As a mage and priest, it would be pretty easy to get into an AoE farm group, but they’ve all just been traditional groups and we’re cool w/ that.

2 Likes

I just saw an lfg message from a group saying ” lf1m dps need melee”. They were asking for 4 or 5 minutes.

Not everyone is the way you think.

Being someone who has played with your guild back in vanilla, I remember you.

I am currently on the Benediction server for classic, alliance side. Come look up our guild .

The benediction server isnt focused on spellcleave or min/maxing from what ive seen. So far, I’ve noticed the vast majority of the people are all just having fun and playing random crap they want to, and seeing if it works.

But, including your post, I’ve heard its just not fun on other servers…and the game isnt the issue, its the new generation of people who literally ONLY follow what streamers say…

Its very toxic indeed.

4 Likes

I really wish I could post images on this forum to show you the global LFG and trade chat on Stalagg right now lol.

1 Like

No, it’s not.

You don’t know what min/maxing is.

To everything? No. To the two points where that was my answer? Yes.

Neither of those problems will exist if you’re the one in charge of who is invited to the groups and why someone is kicked.

Don’t want to do AoE cleave groups? Form your own group and invite a bunch of CC heavy single target classes.

Don’t want people to be kicked for “not being amazing?” Form your own group and don’t kick people for not being amazing.

Not everyone views those things as problems. If you don’t like it, form your own groups, but you can’t dictate to others how they play.

If you don’t like what you see happening… too bad.

You contradicted yourself in the same sentence. Impressive.

You’re sitting here telling people that vanilla was all about community. That is you telling people what the game is about and what they should enjoy about it.

Not everyone cares about community; not everyone puts community above other aspects.

Not really. The game is sufficiently entertaining outside of raid content, and the way gearing works, even powering through content is going to take people a long while to “finish.”

3 Likes