⭐ Classic is Definitely not Vanilla

They can’t un-nerf it anyway if the data for the earlier versions doesn’t exist anymore. Not without doing exactly what pservers do and guesstimating everything, which is arguably worse than just giving us straight 1.12 stats, etc.

I’m saying even if they DID have that data, they wouldn’t put pre-nerf C’Thun back into the game.

And I’m not disagreeing.

I was speaking generally.

I agree. If that is the case, they definatly as an example have to look at the effect of battle shout in terms of tanking.

No they don’t.

Classic is a museum, not a live game. “Warts and all,” remember?

I can clarify my response above; Blizzard may look at BS and change it to an earlier state - if that solves the problem. If the change means something completely new, not ever known to Vanillas patch history, then I say leave it be.

If we were to implement new, unknown to Vanillas patch history, changes then we have entered the path of the “slippery slope” argument.

More input!

The original un-nerfed Vanilla settings, will deliver upon the points below. Worth mentioning is that the points below have proven to be crucial for a MMORPG to be successfull, if WoW Classic still have that ambition that is.

• An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding.
  • A requirement that classes have identities. No single player should be able to do everything on their own.
  • An expectation that with greater risk will come greater reward.
  • A belief that meaningful character progression will always involve a player increasing in both power and prestige.
  • A mindset that some degree of downtime should be part of a game, ensuring players have time to form important social bonds.
  • A belief that an immersive world requires intelligent inhabitants.
  • A sincere commitment to creating a world where a focus on cooperative play will attract those seeking a challenge.
  • A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared - and earned.
  • An agreement that player levels should be both meaningful and memorable.

Feedback?

3 Likes

You could have just bumped this thread on the character you created this thread with, instead of pretending to be another person supporting you.

Even if that would be the case, what did you add to the topic by typing that comment?

Stay OT or don’t post at all in my opinion. I feel that this thread hit alot of the important points that I personally believe will benefit the game!

It is the case. I make sure to call out manipulative behavior when I see it. Carry on with the conversation you were having with yourself.

Pantheon tenets, good stuff :sunglasses:

You guys thoughts on that?

Sounds like Classic isn’t for you.

Pantheon will fail like every MMO McQuaid has done since EQ.

There tenets are in the right place but the game won’t pull half the subscriber base they think and they will close in ~2 years of launch. If they ever get to launch. They even in beta yet?

Brad McQuaid has made only 2 MMOs. One being the grandfather of all MMOs that literally inspired everything that made Vanilla WoW successful and was so good the entire Dev team that made Vanilla came from guilds in Everquest.

The other MMO was Vanguard, it sold 1 million units, but far too many bugs, FAR too high system requirements locking many people out from a semi enjoyable experience. It was however a great game that got rave reviews, it was primarily tech errors that ruined it forever and Brad doing some shady things on the side.

So hes 50%. You can’t act like the guy has put out 10 MMOs and all but one failed when making a claim like you are its disingenuous my guy or maybe you have no idea what you are talking about. Pantheon looks great atm and is honestly all old school MMO fans have to hold onto. So far it looks about 50/50 on how successful it may or may not be, but it has hands down the best actual MMORPG ideas ive heard about. I hope it succeeds. The days of single player MMORPGs for people who seem to actually hate MMOs/Socializing and also hate RPGs needs to be left far, far behind. Otherwise I see this genre forever spiralling.

4 Likes

He’s working on an mmo that is already taking pledges from customers. His 2nd mmo did the same then had to have Sony step in for more cash. Pantheon will follow the same route. They will run out of cash during development in will step someone to publish (EA or SOE) and it will fail.

Name one other mmo that took pledges for in game incentives and did well.

And EQ isn’t the grandfather of all MMO’s.

Edit: and don’t take what I’m saying the wrong way. I would love to be proven wrong I just won’t be proven wrong. Any MMO that relies on crowdsourcing funds won’t make it. If you follow mmo’s You should know that by now. Same old story.

yReally there are is only one way to make things more challenging without it being a simple gear check, or some type of puzzle or strat that is damnably easy once figured out.

That is by increasing the rng - in boss behavior, and in the scale of impact of boss abilities. If Patcherk suddenly makes someone the bomb, and the radius of the blast is double, you have a challenge. It has to be fairly unpredictable, which herein would translate as a whole lot of possible outcomes - more than a group can prepare for.

Otherwise its either gear check or mechanics, and neither remains challenging for long.

Random spawns would be cool too, in conjunction with shorter timers.

The point is, while earlier versions were more fun, due to being harder, they gradually will seem as easy as 1.12. Its a ‘museum piece’, so regardless of where you start it, it will get easy.

Better off finding enjoyment in the game from something other than difficulty.

Hmmm, you could even code in a random difficulty level every x hours. So maybe DM is, overall, 10% harder, from 12 to 12 one day, and you don’t know it. Toss in a few boss level random pats and spawns, random boss behavior, one or two random boss affects, shifting respawn timers, and shifting patrol patterns, and you have a perpetually fun dungeon.

edit: throw in random stats on ALL loot, and the game would be great.

2 Likes

*Cool dad.

Ultima Online is the Granddaddy of MMOs. And DAOC is the uncle who wants to wrestle all the time.

4 Likes

Muds are at the top of the mmo tree.

1 Like

Yes but even if we are talking just MMO’s aside from MUD’s. EQ still isn’t the granddaddy.

1 Like

This could be interesting for a Classic+ option perhaps.

My purpose with the thread though is to create an understanding to why it is important for the Classic experience to create the game according to the guidelines in my initial post. Which again do not go against the #nochanges statement.

3 Likes