"Classic" excitement explained from an older gamer's perspective

They did

Still had it in WoTLK as well, just was way worse

But viper sting isn’t really a satisfying win condition, rather win with every other tool in my classes disposal tbh.

Good choice of words there pal

really good choice of words there buddy:grinning:

1 Like

keys later

:grinning:

I don’t understand people like you. If you don’t like it, then fine. Don’t play it. But you don’t need to come here and trash talk those of us that are really enjoying it.

So currently i’m leveling a Mage and a Druid. Mage has been going OOM every other pull. When I pull more than one mob, I need to kite while getting enough distance to cast again. I just got frost nova, so that helps, but it doesn’t help with my mana issue. I need to be smart with my polymorphs(which only last 20 seconds) and my character placement even while leveling. I die a lot, and there has been a lot of trial and error when completing quests, especially with Murloc quests.

Druid is a caster starting out, period. You unlock Bear form at lvl 10, and cat form at level 20. Again, the usualy OOM issues, but they can be a little more tanky because of Mark of the Wild so i’m not having to kite as much, but I still need to on the occasional pull. Once I hit lvl 10, i’ll play my class more like I would a warrior because of bear form, and i’ll need to for 10 levels, which is several hours of play time.

For most classes (except hunters, hence the term huntard in classic) you actually need to learn to play your class. I’ve died dozens of times re-adjusting to my class. It isn’t point and click, mash a few buttons and you’re level 100. Every quest, every pull, you need to play on your classes strengths and weaknesses or you will die.

For some of us, like yourself, you may know and understand your class very well and already know these things. I rolled Mage and Druid because in classic I had neither. So I feel like i’m actually learning my class, and not leveling to 120 then reading about it later.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I didn’t really consider how it would be for new players and the absolute skillfloor for classes, though I also think mana being an issue is more part of just the very very slow grindy and tedious part of the game rather than making it hard.

I like it, as weird as it sounds. Makes my character feel more down to earth. I’m just a level 1 mage fresh off the farm, and it feels like it. I’m not the savior of azeroth, some mightly commander than can destroy kings and queens and sometimes gods. I’m just a dude trying his best. I miss this part of the game, where I wasn’t some god tier level person in a world surrounded by weaklings. I cast a few spells and i’m pooped, need to take a break and take a sip of water. In many quests, i can’t even solo the objectives unless I severely outlevel them. But groups for them are easy to find, because neither can anyone else.

I’d say the more tedious and grindy parts are killing 100 boars in Westfall just to find a few livers.

I get that for a lot of people, all of this sounds boring, and to each there own. If someone wants to keep playing BFA, more power to them. Won’t effect me. And a lot of people think that it’s just a nostalgia trip that will fade, and for some that may be true. But for me it’s the opposite. I’ve been playing BFA for nostalgia, and in Classic I feel like i’m home.

1 Like

Many of us started playing wow because it was an rpg game. Wow has continually done away with rpg elements and we are left with just a watered down mmo that we’ve invested too much time in to actually quit.

Classic is part of the wow we use to love. Its wow yet it has that rpg feel to it that we all miss.

4 Likes

I actually played during vanilla and still remember the name of the first horde player to gank me (Orc War name Beast) out at STV. This time around I want to get my son to play with me (he is 15 and guess what he is into?).

I loved community and enemies we made. If we can manage to get half that back, sh!t I would call that an accomplishment. In retail I can’t name you the last person I queue up with for arenas or instances. Community died many moons ago.

2 Likes

I remember my old Horde nemesis, a mage named Blinker? I think. Would always find him in battlegrounds and always had a good time playing against him. Last I heard he had gotten engaged and was moving in with his fiance! But that was 10 years ago.

Something doesn’t add up here you say you have a “Great schedule - super conducive to gaming” but in your post your a “Gamer Dad”. Not trying to lecture anyone on their parenting style but children make it impossible to have a schedule that permits as many hours as it sounds like you are sinking into gaming.

How you figure? young kids are usually in bed by 7pm or 8pm the latest. 8pm - 12am or 1am depending on the time you have to get up. That worked for me and of cause longer on weekends. Even now, I am usually online by 7pm and don’t get off till 12am.

2 Likes

i’m a weekend warrior dad.

my children don’t live with me full time.

during the holdidays, summer etc i only play from work.

when i dont have the kiddos i play from home when the wifey is working.

i learned a long time ago never to mix business with pleasure.

i have played/raided with many people where i could hear screaming kids/wives the the background.

always made me very uncomfortable.

i try not to judge them but its hard not too.

half my playtime if not more is from work so as i said im very lucky.

1 Like

To each their own I guess I have a pretty demanding job that requires my brain being at peak performance so I need to be well rested. I do get a few hours in after they go to bed but almost never on weekends - I don’t stay up any later after all kids don’t sleep in and I try to spend every moment I can with them.

I’m bored as no tomorrow at work right now. This forum is the only thing that keeps me sane.

2 Likes

I haven’t even wanted to log into Retail since getting Beta, and if you knew me you’d know I was a huge Classic naysayer.

Classic has a real RPG style, you legit feel like you’re progressing with every single piece of gear or level. Idr the last time I was excited about getting a green or blue drop, the classes in vanilla also are the same for each spec at the core but they specialize in certain aspects within the class. What I mean is, it’s not like retail where there’s 36 miniature classes, but 9 classes that have exactly what you’d think a specialization would mean, specialized in an area of the class.

Bring back resilience, bring back vendors for PvP, bring back WoTLK’s arena system, make guilds and servers matter again, get some core class design with specializations going rather than 36 mini classes with very little depth.

2 Likes

I hope they are learning a lot from Classic for the next expansion. I honestly want nothing but the best for Ion and don’t want to see anyone fired, but I just don’t see this game going in a good direction as long as he is in charge. Hopefully I’m wrong and he is open to learning from his predecessors.

3 Likes

Im a little confused here OP…you first say that you go against people that say Classic is all about nostalgia and report that nostalgia is not what you are looking for…Only to have your whole post literally be the exact definition of nostalgia…

Here is the definition in case you dont know…

“a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.”

your whole post is about you wanting to re-live your experience with community and reputation and knowing each other…that is exactly what your nostalgia is…

I am almost certain, you will not experience those feelings again because times have changed, people have changed…just because the game is the same, doesnt mean those positive experiences will be par for the course. Remember people have had 12 years to play new versions of wow…you will just get people who are used to current wow…playing classic…with the same attitudes.

They wont magically turn into community loving, reputation conscious wow classic nerds.

You may not be understanding of the design of classic. It forces community and reputation. You can’t progress without it.

nostalgia is fond remembrance from ones’ past.

specifically, remembrance of a past feeling that cannot be recaptured. or relived again.

the reason this is almost universally true is because you cannot go back in time and exactly replicate that place or environment or time in your life.

the “classic” version of wow is an exception to this notion that “you can’t go back”.

the framework of the game back then lends itself to all the things so many of us long for in WoW.

a sense of adventure
a sense of community
a sense of place
a sense of losing yourself in the experiences

if u never played classic its impossible to articulate it in a way you will understand.

but for us old dudes its very real and we all know what eachother means when we speak of it.

it doesnt need explination as it does for you.

2 Likes