Classic Era PVP System Changes

I’d love to see the PVP changes encourage more low-level brackets to be active in Era. Currently only AV and 60s pop but there are definitely enough people online for lower brackets.

Some suggestions:

• Remove decay below R8/9 (personally, I think shoulders, mount + epic gear should still be hard to obtain, but removing decay will encourage players to PVP at lower levels because progress won’t be lost)
  • Bring back the L58 PVP sets
  • Lower the rep requirements for lower level blue gear (e.g. make WSG L18 and L28 weapons available at friendly and L38 and L48 weapons available at honored instead of all levels at revered).
  • Change sub-60 epic rep gear to blue versions with lower rep requirements (L40 epic WSG bracers appealed to such a small minority of twinks it really makes no sense to have them in-game, especially since twinks are non-existent in Era).
  • Make blue versions of the epic gear available to lower level toons at reduced rep (e.g. Revered).
  • Daily BG quest for all brackets
  • Increase AV difficulty (too easy with Naxx-geared players and AV only was the PVP meta in SoM due to high honor relative to other BGs)
  • Increase honor and rep to non-AV BGs to increase participation
  • Bring back City Protector title
  • Always show highest rank achieved
  • Cap group queues at 5, but see below
  • Full 10/15 man premades only fight other full premades but for increased more rep and maybe double tokens?
  • I don’t mind the jumps in WSG. The top of tunnel is annoying, but not game-breaking. But I think the holes in the fences should be fixed and prevent players from running through them. It’s a fence for a reason–to make players go around it. So, it my view it’s a class and consumable exploit.

Added new ideas in italics.

1 Like

Lvl 58 lvl sets won’t encourage pre 60 pvp. they could I guess scale down the 60 set in a lvl 20-40 increment but I still don’t see anyone doing that. Low brackets will never be as popular as 60 no matter what you do

Honestly I think Blizz should bring back the 58 sets and hold off on releasing the 60 sets until BWL or the War Effort. They are way too OP for PVE to release with MC, the 2-piece set bonus being BiS for a lot of classes until AQ40. That contributed to people just afk farming honor instead of running dungeons.

I can’t recall exactly when, but the 60 set was released with the epic PVP gear upgrade, BWL I think.

City Protecter title? They need to put that one in.

As long as they don’t touch the rank11 epic mount at level 59 flex

The only set that’s “op” is warrior. Nobody else is wearing sets. Only weapons

There are two ways to really encourage low level PvP.

The first and most obvious is to massively increase player population. I never had an issue getting any games to pop back in 2019 because we just had such a sheer volume of players in the game. Era, while it is growing rapidly, is no where near that level of population. Blizzard would need to promote Era more or we would need more community outreach to grab disgruntled WOTLK players to come try Era.

The second way to encourage low level PVP is to add experience to BG’s. Sadly, we can use WOTLK Classic as proof as to what happens if you do that. You just end up with bot infested trash heaps.

I think going for the first strategy is optimal. Get more people in the game, and BG’s will pop.

Level Cap PVP changes / updates.

Yeah those 1.11 sets are OP as hell, they’re comparable to BWL loot. Thing is tho, getting them is cake easy, but most raiders are not going to take the time to get them, so that being so is not such a big deal.

They could just leave them in as is, and then also add in the OG blue sets as lower rank enlisted gear that unlocks at like Ranks 2, 3, 4 or something like that.

Also they should add in some PVP blue weapons, rings, belt / bracers that match the sets.

Additionally I would like to see some mechanical changes to how the ranking system works.

Perhaps RBG’s could be added for prestige titles? Make this the way to get titles?
Limit RBG to 3 players per group tops but its rated play like rando BG’s that promotes team play with friends and strangers; this will 100% encourage participation of the Rated PVP system because it will never be all full premades.

As for Rando BG’s leave them as is unless people want to limit group size to 3 or something like that.

Full premade can be a thing, but would require coordination in a Tournament style thing that could crop up every month with some special prestige titles awarded. This could form in the way that WarGames are done.

Blizzard could even add the Twin Peaks map from retail, and some alternative form of AB but a much bigger verison would be nice so that it punishes Zerging harshly. AB could have a “Random” start regardless of faction so that Horde may start at Trollbane instead or Alliance at Defilers so that its fair in terms of map distribution; because the Iron Triangle has that name for a very good reason.

Regarding Low level PVP

For low level PVP to take place there needs to be some kind of reward structure, some kind of incentive for that to take place. PVP can be very fun from around level 29+, but south of that its just who’s got the best gear on their Hunter / Rogue / Priest / Mage.

Warrior blue PvP set vs. warrior dungeon 2 set (upgraded valor) de-bunked:

Boots - significantly worse than heroism.
Gloves - significantly worse than heroism.
Chest - worse than heroism.
Legs - comparable to heroism.
Shoulders - Better than heroism!
Helm - Better than heroism! But less offensive stats than Lionheart.

Only the shoulders/helm are actually good items. If you had access to both sets, and no raid gear, you would wear the helm/shoulders from the PvP set and then 6 pieces of heroism in your other slots.

TLDR: The blue PvP set isn’t as amazing as this thread would like you to believe.

Tho lets compare ease of access .

Dungeon set 2 is actually kinda hard to get because you have to farm those dungeons forever to get the drops in the first place to upgrade them.

Getting the entire blue set of pvp gear requires rank 10 which will take several weeks and depending on the brackets on your server not a small amount of effort

2 Likes

Rank 10 is not easy to get. It will take more in-game hours to get rank 10 than to finish your D2 set, unless you get exceptionally unlucky with Valor set drops.

2 Likes

This is absolutely correct.

1 Like

Yea rank 10 is actually an annoying amount of work for blue gear that’ll get replaced by raid gear relatively quickly. The epic sets may not be bis stat wise forever but they move the better set bonuses to two pieces for you can play around with the different pieces but that set is also unbelievably annoying to get

2 Likes

I found it very easy to get Rank 10, heck I typicall get R11 just so I can get the cheap mount,.

Then you would find the Heroism set even easier to get!

You can look up this character I’m typing on right now (Axewipe on Barman Shanker or Jom Gabbar). You can see me wearing both the R10 helm and the Heroism chest.

Even in SoM, with the doubled ranking speed, I still put in far less hours to get the entire dungeon 2 set than I did for rank 10.

1 Like

Even if you’re the sweatiest pumper and get the highest bracket from the very start it still takes like 5 weeks to get the entire set blue set. Most people aren’t getting rank 11 it’s just too much of a time investment for the majority to get.

1 Like

I guess depends on your ability to get into PVP groups or to form them. I typically form them and ranking as a result goes very fast and easy.

I always stop at R11 because knowing my self that if I go R12 I will ultimately push for 14… and its that 13 to 14 push that’s actually painful.

2 Likes

Even in premades getting hundreds of thousands of honor a week takes hours and hours of time. You can clear scholomance in like 30 minutes or spend twenty hours a week in arathi for two months.

1 Like

When it comes to PVE drops… my luck is really bad when I run so… yeah… I eliminate that.