Classic Era: Please Nerf Boosting

Looking forward to the PvP updates coming soon to Classic Era servers!

Since we’re already making changes that were not part of 2019 Classic… Why not also nerf player boosting? Just port over the SoM changes and problem solved.

For those unaware: in SoM, being grouped with a much higher level (i.e. a level 60 in SM or Maraudon) would cause mobs to give virtually no xp. This completely killed paid boosting and forced people to level via quests and level-appropriate dungeon groups.

7 Likes

No thanks. I like being able to help my guildies with their dungeons. If people are charging each other for it on your realm then try fostering a more helpful community. Maradon is also a bad example since that place has plenty to offer a level 60 toon: NR gear/shrooms/Blackstone Ring/Dagger of Eternal Darkness.

yeah there’s really no reason not to patch era with the anti-boosting SoM changes

but but no changeeeesssssssss

that went out the window when they added muh chronoboon :expressionless:

4 Likes

This does not prevent that :slight_smile: You can still help them get gear and finish quests. Just no more runs for xp.

LFG chat on every populated realm is 90% boost spam.

Again, this doesn’t stop you from helping people for gear or even quests. It just stops dungeon spamming for xp with a higher level in the group.

5 Likes

No it needlessly penalizes players in dungeons. If your realm is overrun by boosters abusing that system then its a community problem. Look inward for the solution, don’t inconvenience the people that are getting help legitimately.

2 Likes

lol hyperbole
I’ll grant it may be high on the PVP West (Whitemane et al) cluster but that’s not even close to the situation on PVE East (Mankrik et al).

It’s never legitimate to run dungeons over and over and over and over and over with a higher level player in your group. It’s always cheese.

Legitimately getting help would be things like going after a specific piece of gear… or help doing a particular quest… neither of which would be penalized.

Just made a character on Mankrik Alliance to test this. Took 30 seconds before I saw someone selling Stockades boost. And this is a “medium” server so it’s hardly populated.

2 Likes

lol one whole advert
wow 90% of lfg chat
just take the L hyperbole boi

Like I said, if your community is abusing dungeons then focus on changing that exploitative culture without affecting those who are genuinely getting help through that instance.

1 Like

So you admit it’s abuse to run dungeons repeatedly with a higher level in your group…

If they are charging for it, certainly.

sometimes changing the game can help change the culture. why should we not do that? do you think you have some right to dungeon boost? you do not :expressionless:

The issue is that not all realms observe this behavior yet OP wants to systematically affect all of them with his proposed change.

Even if you’re not charging for it, it’s still abuse to do it repeatedly. You’re taking a character out of the world. The open world is what makes classic what it is - might as well just play retail if you want a dungeon leveling experience!

What qualifies as ‘repeatedly’ ? More than once ever? Twice a week?

you know exactly what he means. it doesn’t need a precise mathematical definition :expressionless:

It absolutely does if its going to be impacting my realm.

says who :expressionless:
truth is, they ban dungeon boosting, you just go on playing as normal. it won’t affect you in any way. unless you actually engage in that abuse?

The people getting boosted were never going to group with you anyway.

That’s a blatant lie. The guildmates I help could be penalized for the bad behavior on OP’s realm. That’s why an accurate parameter for detecting abuse must be established. I’m currently not affected at all by boosting as things are. WHY should I promote something that has the potential to damage my realm’s experience?