Classic Druid

Needed reagent for your half hour rez.

I agree with you on a raid basis outside of healing. I think for general playing they get pretty good returns, especially PVP.

This needs to be a sticky.

Little bit off topic question maybe

Don’t locks have soul stone in vanilla? Can it be cast in combat or no?

Yes they do. It can be cast in combat. It also has a 30 min CD I believe. Most often though the SS will already be on a healer before an encounter starts.

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate the clarity

My Vanilla Drood memory is extremely vivid and has always made me want to explore the class more.

I had just gotten to rank 10 in the honor grind, had some good gear, had a good weapon on my hunter, thought I was pretty cool. I had obviously fought Droods before, but that was mostly in a group content of the BG’s I was grinding.

Anyways, I see this lone Drood guarding the mine in AB, not even stealthed. Cool, I’ll go blast him. Open up with aimed shot, he wakes up and charges me, I go into wing clip mode, and then he proceeds to put on a powershifting clinic that blew my mind. For those movie fans out there, I was like Jack Burton at the airport in Big Trouble in Little China, confused and astonished and looking stupid. I got completely demolished. I had no idea Droods could fight like that and I never fought another who was on that level until much later in TBC.

Ever since then I have remembered the potential ceiling that Droods have when played at a really high level and I am eager to explore that playstyle myself in Classic.

So for those who are wondering about rolling Drood, as others have said there is a VAST difference between those who click the right buttons at the right times and those who are able to really push the class to its full potential. Night and day, honestly.

3 Likes

HINT: Old school Boomkins are better off DPS wise wearing a combination of cloth for stats (INT) and their usual leather for survivability

This. I absolutely blow people up in pvp it’s pretty unfair. I have macros for cool down abuse and all my forms are key bound to specific buttons on my mouse. As a Druid main since forever, I have to admit that there are those that role play the class heavily and just do what they’re told. And then there are some, like Shedo, who drop my jaw. Really a massive spectrum for this class in terms of zero to hero.

It’s not a great payoff in the short term, either.

When I asked myself “what class should I play in Classic?” the answer was Shaman, of course. The answer is always Shaman.

Unfortunately, the guild I was rolling with wanted to play Alliance. So instead, I decided to be a masochistic and pick what would surely be the slowest, most miserable character to level up, so that I could have an excruciatingly terrible time and complain a lot.

Restoration Druid.

I had a lot of fun leveling my druid. Tanking on him was fine, too. I grew tired of needing to shapeshift all the time, however. You can basically skin and loot while in cat or bear form
 Forget about interacting or with anything or using any of your “utility” abilities in any way while in animal form, however. Another rub was raid-buffs in feral gear. I could cast 2 greater gifts, then I’d have to drink. Buffing a raid as the only druid meant drinking 4 times.

Ultimately, I’ll keep my druid, and I’ll work on his gear from time to time. I’m switching back to ret pally for a main though.

No it isnt.

There are plenty of healers. All of the meme specs eventually figure out after being 60 long enough that there isnt a place for them to dps and switch to healing or re-roll.

1 Like

Precisely. IK some folk really want them beautiful “big numbers” and “leet deeps”, that they tend to disregard the Support role which is what I feel a Druid is :cocktail:

I’ve played druid for over 15 years, and was recently before classic came out tanking on Northdale. I’ve tanked every raid boss in vanilla as a Dire Bear. I’ve tanked Every boss in MC/Ony as a bear so far. Druids didn’t get a fair shake in vanilla and weren’t reworked to be able to tank well at all until patch 1.9. Innvervate used to be the last talent in the resto tree and Dire bear had half the armor it did post 1.9. With us being on the 1.12.1 Drums of war talents and class progression we’re seeing Druid tanks excell. When a druid has 8k hp and 12k armor not flasked Crits and crushing blows arent a problem. A druid using a Manual crowd pummler with 30% crit and spam mauling can’t be caught on threat. Flasked with 9k hp and over 12k armor is making every raid boss a joke.
GL with your Druid if you decide to roll one. Raid tanking on one is rewarding!

4 Likes

Still holds true in BWL.

3 Likes

I really enjoy 5-man healing with my now-60 Resto Druid, but raiding not so much. Druid slower cast heals & our HoTs are sniped by Paladins & Priests non-stop in raid group setups, so if you aren’t solo-healing designated targets in the raid then you might as well be doing DPS instead to be useful. On the bright side, as the only Resto/caster Druid in my guild, all the Druid tier/caster leather drops are just given directly to me if I want/need them (got 4/8 pieces of Cenarion in MC on my first Classic raid this last week or so).

Druids (among other class/specs) really don’t start to shine for the larger scope of the game until TBC.

You weren’t a very good hunter back then, unfortunately. Hunters are basically immune to dying to druids with the toolbox they have, and no amount of powershifting is gonna change that. I’ll give you a hint though: scattershot.

Everyone and their mother has a Druid alt or main. Fun class, but no raid ever takes more than 2.

Seems kinda lame that in order to them to be competitive in dps they have to continually farm the Manual Crowd Pummeler. No other class has to do this 

1 Like

No. To be competitive, they only have do better than the people they’re competing with. Stop thinking you have to be one of the top DPS ranked druids in the world and suddenly that requirement goes away.

2 Likes