Classic Druid

So I am aware by multiple online personalities that druid is not a great payoff for end game but is it at least fun and do they have utilities that are considered useful to a raid/BG environment? Is Mark of the Wild good for a raid buff? Do they get rebirth? Is leveling a good experience?

Also I’m aware that I’ll probably play heals and I’m actually fine with that, I’ve never really been any other role other than DPS in retail WoW and it would be a good chance to change that.

Edit: Thanks for the responses, I feel more comfortable rolling a druid knowing what they bring to the table, cheers especially to Ghannagh and Zonkabonk your input was really great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Everybody likes to make fun of druid for the Jack of all master of none meme, but when you look into it the druid is easily one of the better classes in the game though not for high dps or high heals, their true value is something you can’t see on a meter. Druids have amazing utility and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise, whether it’s using cat form for stealth to pick your fights and get the drop in wpvp, jumping into bear form to hold a dungeon fight together if the tank dies, casting innervate on healers to let them go berserk without fear of mana usage, hibernating and rooting important enemies, or of course throwing out those raid saving battle rezes druids bring way more to the table than most classes can ever dream of doing. Sure you won’t be the BEST damage or healer, but that doesn’t matter because wow is a community based game where you play off the strengths and weaknesses of your allies, and a druid does that better than most.

40 Likes

Druids are fun for leveling and BG’s since you can actually taker advantage of their versatility there. Unfortunately you can’t really do that in group based content so you’ll be stuck healing there.

6 Likes

The one thing that I don’t like about druids

If youre running a 5man and theyre healing and one of your party members die during the pull, that person has to run all the way back since druids cant just rez you like a paly, priest, or shaman can.

2 Likes

Arguably the best buff in the game, best escape artist, offers close range and distant gameplay, can fulfill 4 roles in a group setting, offers great control, desired in all tiers of content, decurse and poison removal, and breaks rogues with faerie fire.

Be thankful you even have a healer. Besides, you should only die if some one is being stupid anyways and at that point it’s likely you were all wiping anyway. Are you going to curse you didn’t have a warlock at that point?

3 Likes

Healing at end game? With proper gear and knowledge every guild will want you. Mostly because healing is a rare thing in classic as the vast majority of the realm is always DPS players.

Balance even with the best gear possible, the best consumables, and the best skill you will always be mediocre the same goes for feral. However, on farm content the vast majority of people wont a damn if they have one balance or feral. However you wont main raid as it unless that guild isnt overly concerned with fast progression.

1 Like

As an old vanilla druid raider I can say they are very fun to play. And when it comes to the class itself there simply are no other class with the flexibility of a druid.

Sure as others have pointed out when it comes to numbers it ain’t best at anything really. But then again as others have also pointed out it’s not about numbers either, it’s about all the stuff druids bring into the group/raid.
It has innervate and a combat ress totally unique things nobody else can do just to name a few.
It has NS + HT oh crap heal which is likely the biggest instant heal in the game. If you are full resto it also has swiftmend as an “oh crap” heal.

Like all classes it does have min maxed “optimal” specs but as far as I am concerned it has the largest amount of different viable specs to play around with.

I would like to play Druid, but lack of feral weapons and mana problems with balance have put me off it.

2 Likes

I think people try druid but end up going with another class due to some of the difficulty the class faces. Aka its not an easy class to play. Mage on the other hand is very easy to play and I think that appeals to a lot of people.

If you have time and dedication you will have a great time with it. Ultimately just play something you enjoy!

Sounds like you already know all you need to about classic druid.
edit- remember to buy plenty of acorns at the reagent vendor.

2 Likes

The issue with druids is that yes it’s harder to play but you also get significnatly less returns for even putting in that effort.

3 Likes

Druids are amazing even in the end game. Don’t let people tell you otherwise. Remember people do see a player with a reputation instead of just a druid. So if someone told you druid sucks late game maybe no one wanted them because they weren’t as good as they thought they were. Maybe they already had enough druids for their raids.

Gift/mark of the wild is great for raids. It increases stats and very importantly resistances.

Rebirth is invaluable for raiding. You can rez a healer or that one dpser who was unlucky snd got feared into fire (magmadar). Its going to be a wipe but you rez a healer so people don’t have to run back saving valuable raid time.

Leveling can suck. Feral dps is the best route for leveling. I leveled resto once. It took a while but I got there. It’s easy to get dungeons as a healer.

I love druids. They are tons of fun to play.

2 Likes

While most raids won’t take a lot of druids, they are very desirable for raiding. MotW/GotW is one of the best buffs in the game, only really rivaled by Kings.
Rebirth is the only rez druids get (a blessing and a curse).

Levelling the first 10 levels in absolutely mind numbingly, claw your eyes out horrible. Once you get bear form it becomes so much better and then later when you get cat form it becomes one of the best, quickest, easiest levelling experiences in the game.

Raid-wise heals are more popular but feral tank is also very useful for fights that don’t deal with crushing blows. Druids have higher stam and threat early game so they can be better for low damage and spell damage fights. They’re also great for 5-mans as a tank. Feral DPS can also work but it takes a lot of effort to do very well.
One of the benefits with druids is you can spec multiple ways and still perform most roles with some ability with gear changes or even just as an emergency spot. The build you choose can also affect how you play. Deep resto would mix HoTs and HT, deep balance will play as just a crit heavy HT spammer.

There will still be a demand for druids due to innovate, rebirth, and mark of the wild. That was the thing about vanilla that was nice. Even if your DPS/Heals sucked, you could still be useful in some form.

As a paladin, priests healed much better, but I had the blessings, and divine shield was useful for fights where the boss had an AoE CC (can DS out of it to heal the tank).

sumtimes peeps say 2 me HAY HOW 2 PLAY DURID IDK LOL! SO NOW, u CAN PLAY DURID by only rred this!

1. ITS EZ, u can only haf 2 reed teh

ALAMOES COMPLEET DURID INSTURCKSHUN

OK LISSEN Almo noes about sum durid things sinse the baginning. Maybe B4 durids was week & stuff but now Durids is very storng.

1. OK, Sum durids is bare

2. Tehm whos bare durids, can B 4 tank:

ONLY DURID DONT HAF SUM PEEPS IN THE HEAD AND A GUNZ LOL!

1. Man, sum bare druids can maek sum peeps poop in feer bc/ tehms so storng.

2. Bare druids is not so good at uh moonfare spam but its OK b/c a bare durid haf many armors &

when a thing hits durid, maybe thing gets borken hand LOL!

1. Bare durids is 4 funs when u can charje & stun & haf sum armors lol.

OK LISSEN Also durid haf uh seel form.

1. Seel is can fite, but is kind week.
  2. Seel for swim, is fast & dont breeth
  3. When seel is gone for fish, is nobody will catch.
  4. Seel is can teech frends how is swim

ALSO I FORGETS

Durid has can run fast form is TRAVEL FORM

1. looks liek cheetuh
  2. dont cheet or u get bann LOL! JK!!
  3. Cheetuh can run fast and him is can run away frum trubul.

AND ASLO

SUM DURIDS IS MOON KIN

1. Them 1s is look all funny liek maybe form MOON! LOL!
  2. mostly uh moonkin is 4 a spam moonfare
  3. them haf sum good armors & fite storng.

DURIDS IS VEERY FAST AND STORNG IN PVP CAN CAST ROOT 4 MAKE PEEPS STOP WHEN MOVE!!

bc Peeps can always ask if cat druid can B GOOD FOR FITE OR WHAT MAYBE?

U NO CAT DURIDS IS VERY STORNG! SUM PEEPS DUNNO Y SO HEAR IS LIST

1. OK now sum durid is cat

2. Cat durid, tehm dosent heel.

3. Cat uis for fite

4. Cat durid dosent talk about fite

5. when cat durid is FITE do not ask for HEEL and NINIRVATE!

and CAT DURIDS is no spam moonfare! Sum cat durids dosent no wut is uh moonfare!

DURIDS IS MUST ALWAYZ HALP EECH OTHER:
sumtimes a new durid is need sum halp and advise frum a good durid so u shuld alway halp unother

Even I lernd all this form DURID SCKOLL who has wut uh famus teecher there who is knows all this:

DRUIDTEECHER
DURIDS IS HARD, & BUT STRONG

SUM PEEPLE THINK DURIDS IS CANT BE BARE AND CAN ONLY HEEL AND THEM DOSENT

NO THEY IS ALWAYS CAN SAY:

BUT ONLY DONT LISSEN TO THEM.

Durids is storng for bare or cat or seel or whatver and u dosent haf 2 heel if u dont liek heel

*********DURIDS IS 4 haf FUN TIME WIT FRENS every1 is like a fun time durid!!

18 Likes

Playing druid is fun as hell for the vast majority of the game. 100% of the game if you are OK not being optimal in a raid as DPS.

3 Likes

What are they used for?

Acorns I think were the reagent for rebirth.

3 Likes

A lot of the players that I remember from Vanilla as ‘wow they were really good’ were druids.

Definitely way overrepresented in the ‘that was awesome’ list than their actual population would indicate.

(We had a pair of druids who always world PVP’d together defending Horde outposts. I think they were both HoTW feral, so whichever one got focused would be a bear and the other one would be a cat at any given time, with the cast popping out to heal as necessary. They regularly took on five or six Alliance and won with stealth, CC, healing, and tankiness.)

1 Like

To be fair, class wasn’t the only choice at character creation. Despite that, the Druid population was definitely higher than the ratio of race/class would indicate.