Classic Difficulty, Real Talk

Okay. I played WoW since the beginning.
Was in a world first guild. Whatever.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game and how difficult it was.

The whole point of playing classic was to enjoy the nostalgia of those cherished moments in my life.

Now, making our way into AQ and destroying Sartura with 15 people dead, obliterating Fankriss in under one minute, and killing huhuran with ease and watching the twin emps fall in under four minutes, i begin to wonder… Why the hell am I playing classic at all?

C’thun was NEVER a four minute boss. I loved that fight so much for the complexity at such an early stage in the game’s evolution over the years, coupled with the necessary flawless coordination over roughly 10 minutes of a fight.

I am incredibly worried for my naxxramas experience to be similar, as it was necessary to farm enough gear to match the gear check to combat patchwerk.

If we’re playing classic to experience Wow as it once was in all of it’s glory, why are we met with nerfed content, including access to talents before they were available in the timeline of the game?
Are we all subject to false advertisement? If so, where’s the class action lawsuit to get our money back, because I feel short changed, and to me, this is fraud.

I’m literally considering playing other games now, or going to help rebuild wildstar and playing on the upcoming private server.

Please… weigh in on this. I need to know if i’m alone on this or not.

17 Likes

Whoever says Naxx will take more than one day for a top-tier guild to clear is beyond naive. Naxx has the reputation of being impossible for your average gamer to the point of being almost mythical. Every top-tier guild will want the reputation of being the first to clear it.

Personally, I think the naked/all hybrid class clears are much more impressive but everyone is different.

2 Likes

Shrug, play without world buffs if you want to do the content as it was designed to be done.

A 99th percentile speed kill of C’thun with no world buffs is 7 minutes. 50th percentile is 11:13 so 50% of C’thun kills without world buffs were longer than 11 minutes.

You’re ruining your own game if you go get rallying cry, spirit of zandalar, dire maul, songflower, dmf etc for raids. The raids are blatantly not tuned for them.

Now, making our way into AQ and destroying Sartura with 15 people dead, obliterating Fankriss in under one minute, and killing huhuran with ease and watching the twin emps fall in under four minutes, i begin to wonder… Why the hell am I playing classic at all?

You know I just looked up your logs and your only Twin Emperors kill is 12 minutes 38 seconds. I also notice you guys wiped a bit on Ouro and gave up?

18 Likes

Yes, if you are playing classic for challenge, you are 100% playing the wrong game.

6 Likes

The why is a question only your muscles can answer. If you are starved for self achievement, ressurecting wildstar is much larger than saying you beat a boss thats already been done. Otherwise you should go work out and strive for some self improvement.

Most people super under performed back in the day. The content was designed to be a challenge for them. Patchwork was said to be a hard dps check at 300 now you’re laughed at for doing that much.

to be fair, back in the day the dps check was much higher than 300 because you’d go oom long before the actual enrage of the fight.

Hell, that’s probably still true. People geared for mp5 and longer fights back then.

1 Like

Most people super under performed back in the day. The content was designed to be a challenge for them. Patchwork was said to be a hard dps check at 300 now you’re laughed at for doing that much.

I think that’s a myth. Patchwerk was hard for healer mana and tank gear.

Loatheb is what I recall people being worried about the DPS for. The requirement is around ~700 per dps. You do get a buff but also lose 24 seconds to bandaging and a bunch more time to running around after the spores.

Without world buffs there’s no class that comes close to 700 dps at 90th percentile on Fankriss the Unyielding for example. The highest is warrior at 581 on warcraftlogs.

Classic hasn’t been as easy for me as a lot of people say it is. I can’t comment on AQ because the gates aren’t open on my server and they most likely won’t be open for a few more weeks. However, from my personal experience, raiding with three different guilds throughout the duration of classic, the content hasn’t been easy when it’s first released at any stage. We struggled with MC at the very beginning of classic, eventually we got geared and practiced and by November or December we were blowing through it. When BWL came out, we wiped on Razorgore and Vael, and hit a brick wall at Firemaw. It took us over a month to actually down nef. But, that too we got on farm and now we blow through the whole place in an hour. I imagine it will be similar in AQ. I don’t expect to clear it the first week, whenever that may be…our war effort mats are sitting at around 50%…

4 Likes

Get on a classic plus hard mode server push. It be nice to tune the raids up a bit.

Where are all these people who are “World Firsts” people coming from? I feel like I read this so much when someone introduces themselves.

4 Likes

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/herod/sponger

12 minutes and 38 seconds is not under four minutes.

Oh, you got to it already.

3 Likes

If you go to his guild’s schedule, they actually seem to have done Ouro and C’Thun in roughly 2 hours with 6 wipes.

Not sure why OP is complaining here; sounds like he had a regular progression-like experience.

Nobody’s saying this content is hard, but it’d probably make more sense for this thread to come from someone who absolutely rolled AQ40 the first time in…

Naxx should be fairly difficult for most average/casual guilds. The private server players will absolutely crush it in one night, but the rest of us will probably take a few weeks to get it on farm.

1 Like

okay. My logs mean nothing.

First of all, my guild’s twin emps kill was a failsafe win, and im in total disbelief that we fought it the way we did. No ranged dps, only focused on killing bugs. And I was a back up shadow resist gear warlock , incase one of ours died.

dont even get me started on that.

The pug AQ40 i did had a much easier time than one of my guild’s progression… so the justification is invalid.

I’m also talking about the actual facts of groups who know at least half of what to do with a little experience behind them… not the average idiot, either.

But we all know this. Every private server guild is probably going to clear this within an hour or two of the gates opening.

The content is still decently difficult for most casual players and Naxx will be the same.

I play in a casual guild, and it’s going to be fun progressing. The players that are practiced and know everything inside/out are going to roll it; it’s 15 year old content, there’s no way to juice the difficulty.

I can complain about my guild’s inability to perform on my level, but I don’t because I respect them. Please don’t bull bait me into making this about my guilds.

Yes it is frustrating to me that we can’t clear what I consider easy content, but it’s not my place to speak out about it.

This isn’t about me. I would have rather had wiped on the nerfed bosses that should have been harder than have progressed like this.

Okay, so what do you want? If you want them to buff the content to be more difficult, well you should have been here 2 years ago asking for that. If you want them to go back to patch 1.9 or 1.10 talents and classes, that won’t change a dang thing.

When I played in vanilla I was in a guild that couldn’t hit the check for more than a few weeks. My guild and many like it stacked more healers than is considered typical now to make up for errors. The further you got from naxx and AQ guilds the worse the situation was. It’s not just world buffs letting guilds breeze through content.

He’s literally thinking about playing other games guys. Literally

3 Likes

To answer one of your questions, If you want my opinion after looking through a lot of private server progression and having done the content in the ancient days:

Most guilds shouldn’t have too much trouble getting 10/15 Naxxramas. DPS won’t go up too much from BWL gear to Ahn’qiraj gear but boss HP from Ahn’qiraj to Naxxramas is usually up 50-100%. Razuvious is a pushover but you’ll probably find most early Naxxramas bosses similar to Twin Emperors in difficulty level.

Gothik the Harvester was considered a serious wall a long time ago and it’ll likely still cause some wipes from the amount of CC required.

Loatheb will be no problem with world buffs, could see problems without them.

Four Horsemen is still a reasonable coordination check that’s a lot more difficult than anything in Ahn’qiraj. Guilds that have already practiced it on private servers will kill it right away of course.

Sapphiron should get bludgeoned down with world buffs easily enough if you craft a passable amount of the epic frost resist.

Kel’Thuzad is the boss I always saw the most wipes on on private servers. Salad Bakers who have a 45 minute Ahn’qiraj clear on classic, a 19 minute BWL clear and a 3 minute C’thun kill wiped for 5 hours on Kel’Thuzad the first time they did it on private servers. I imagine you’ll find it a fun challenge.