Classic Countdown Thread

I’m puuuuumped! Can’t wait to go back to terrible graphics and cheesy storylines.

2 Likes

The hype just keeps growing!! :sob:

Several months ago I made an Iron Man character on Wyrmrest just to help sate the hunger. I got her to around level 23 before moving onto other interests, but I had a ton of close calls with death. Definitely recommend trying out the challenge if you just can’t wait any longer for some of that Classic experience.

1 Like

I wasn’t initially excited when they first announced it, and I cancelled my WoW sub because I was just kind of bored. My friend convinced me to try out FFXIV which has been fun. But I miss Azeroth now, I keep comparing FF to WoW haha. And now that the release is a week away I am feeling some excitement, I think I will re-sub and create my undead priest again in Classic, it will be fun to actually be scared of dying haha. When I first started FF I died a couple times from simply not paying attention to my health bar at all because I am so used to current WoW being so easy.

I wasn’t excited for classic at all. While vanilla WoW was amazing and groundbreaking in 2004, Blizz has made a ton of improvements and QoL changes that I really enjoy. But earlier today, I was contacted by a guildie who was my favorite person I’ve ever played an MMO with. She apparently has been looking for me since about 2014 with no luck but managed to find me via the reconnecting thread on the Grobbulus Discord. We haven’t played WoW together in almost a decade, but our old guild is getting back together for Classic so now I’m rolling a toon on Classic for sure.

I resubbed for it, that should tell you enough! Now I just have to decide between Rogue and Mage

I’m really torn. I want to dive head first into Classic and live there because retail’s gameplay just doesn’t grab me. But I’ve made a new RP character over the last few months that I’m enjoying so much. Haven’t enjoyed a character this much since Cole back in Wrath. So I don’t wanna give that up…but it’s gonna be tough because I get to wholeheartedly support my Queen again without being a bloody zealot (lemme tell you, zealotry is tiring work).

Also…for anyone that was a regular at the Gallow’s End in the Wrath days…I get my fireplace back. I can’t tell you how pumped I am for that.

5 Likes

I never was, but Brill has a special place in my heart. I remember it well. It was earlyish 2010. A friend of mine who played WoW was running around Tiristfal on his troll shaman for some reason, and me, being a Warcraft 3 player who couldn’t afford WoW was like :open_mouth: LORDAERON! And I asked him if I could explore. He let me derp around on his troll, having no idea what I was doing.

And so I followed the roads, not knowing that the world map was a thing… and the first town I came across was Brill! I explored the place and I thought it was so awesome that, instead of the undead living in blight-infested ziggurats like in Warcraft 3, they occupied human buildings, and had a human aesthetic.

Brill was my first encounter with WoW. And by the time I could afford the sub, it was Cata, and it wasn’t as special anymore. While the Forsaken architecture looks neat, it just didn’t feel like the same vibe. But I still remember exploring that tavern, and that town hall, and they reminded me so much of the human buildings in Warcraft 3 that I just thought it was the coolest thing, and I’m so excited to RP there for the first time in Classic!

7 Likes

Sarestha, you genuinely warmed my heart there. I’ve really been off Forsaken for some time now, and Classic made me feel like there was a second chance. Forsaken really meant something to me as a teenager. Like…no matter the odds, no matter how much power the ‘enemy’ had…as long as you had the will you could always throw off the shackles.

It’s like sixteen years after the Frozen Throne, but Sylvanas and the story of her Forsaken fifteen years ago still very much resonate with me. I used to have such passion for this game, and did more than be a sarcastic twit prattling on.

Okay, yep, swinging fully on board the hype train. Toot toot, I suppose.

7 Likes

We’re going back to a time when the Forsaken weren’t just outright evil villains. I mean, they were always evil, but in Vanilla it was pragmatism, a people who had lost everything but still managed to build a home for themselves and any likeminded individuals who wished to join them.

That’s why I started as a Forsaken. That and they told me I’d get to kick Scarlets off of my lawn.

1 Like

I’m glad! Well, the story of Lordaeron resonated with me from the beginning. Warcraft 3 is what got me into this game, and particularly the story of the fall of Lordaeron… I found it to be such a deep and impactful tragedy. So when the Forsaken arose, I found the idea to be fascinating, even BEFORE I RPed. Admittedly I’ve always viewed (and subsequently RPed) Forsaken in a somewhat unorthodox manner. I always entertained the philosophy of “Not all free-willed Lordaeronian humans whose only crime was to die, would immediately turn evil.” Sarestha was ultimately the manifestation of that idea. But I genuinely think they’re my favourite race. For all they are, for all they’ve become, they want to fight for a place in the world. Because at their core, they’re just victims of a great evil. And I love that post-apocalyptic narrative.

Sarestha was alive during Classic though, so my Horde main will be a warlock named Richard Thondroril - a former Dalaran mage, turned Warlock after seeing the power of Archimonde firsthand (and being killed by it.) So I guess I’ll be RPing a more traditional Forsaken there; Richard only really cares about getting powerful enough not to die again, and getting vengeance on those pesky demons and Scourge by throwing some of their own medicine at them. :smirk:

I’m actually looking forward to this too. At this point in history, Sylvanas could legitimately be seen as a heroic figure. All she’s really done is free her people’s will, get them a home, and forge an alliance to ensure their safety. I kinda like the idea of seeing her like that again, rather than the self-preservation-obsessed maniac she’s become.

2 Likes

I’m super excited about the potential a brand-new RP server will bring and for bringing back the Sundered Skull Clan. I have no illusions that the first few weeks aren’t going to be a huge mess, but being able to immerse myself in a story that hasn’t been retconned to death and shallowness is a huge draw. Not having to deal with all of the AU mess and Sylvanas vs. Saurfang fighting is going to be wonderful. I’m tired of all the nastiness those stories have brought to retail RP.

1 Like

Good morning, Buccaneers and Globs! Six days left!

3 Likes
1 Like

Dang. Yall got paid money for giving ears?

3 Likes

Very excited, from both a player and game preservation perspective.

The RPG elements like leveling weapon skills will be a bit of a chore but that’s what target dummies are for!

The only issue is that I have friends rolling on Glob and Buccaneers so I’m not sure which server I’m going to level on first.

I remember leveling unnamed on my priest and then demanding other healers in my guild duel me unarmed and slapping the heck outta them. That was a good laugh also it was very tedious to do but worth it.

1 Like

Oh, target dummies actually give you levels in weapon skills? I always wondered what they were good for.

1 Like

Flip a coin!

https://justflipacoin.com/

Heads - Buccs
Tails - Globz

1 Like

Looks like it’ll be Globz then!

If I remember correctly they do give skill up to a certain level, but I could be wrong and you can max it out on them.

1 Like

im am 100% playing classic for some oldschool proper forsaken without like 4 expansions of baggage holding them down

2 Likes