There’s been a lot of posts and discussion on the state of the TBCC servers (server balance, dying servers, mega servers), but I’ve yet to hear any creative solutions to the problem. Most posts amount to a reiteration of old solutions (free transfers, locks, restrictions, etc), or just a frustrated “blizzard fix this!”, or (worst of all) a nihilistic leaning into the problem as if it was inevitable.
This is my attempt to lay out a creative (but realistic) solution to the problem that is plaguing TBCC, but also affects (or has the potential to affect) any classic version of the game where server communities (factions) are valued and supported (vanilla, TBC, wrath, etc).
- “Natural” forces in the game and player community drive players to condense into a few “chosen” servers destabilizing servers, destroying communities, and isolating players in the process. Blizzard supports mechanisms that aggravate this (transfers, layers, FvF BGs, etc)
- Reverse this trend and balance servers, while maintaining benefits that led players to aggregate in the first place (i.e. active communities).
“Classic Community Competition”
- An un-normalized friendly in-game competition with other members of your faction on your server.
The CCC adds no new content, but rather adds incentives for players to actively engage in existing content. The competition should connect players to each other and to their faction and server. The smaller servers have an advantage, enough advantage to possibly entice others to migrate away from over-crowded servers.
My Forum Competition for you:
The nature of the competition and the nature of the rewards is tricky, but a fun thing to brainstorm. My task for forum posters is to propose your own competition idea, and the one with the most hearts “wins”. I’ll try not to give too many guidelines, but here are ones I thought were obvious:
- The competition should be challenging, but not over burdensome (a hard balance to strike)
- The existing meta of raids and gearing should generally stay the same. The competition should support the existing meta, not change it.
- The less complex development involved the better. Use existing wow classic paradigms like item drops and HKs, rather than introduce entirely new systems.