Classic characters in the forums

Please restrict classic characters to the classic section of the forums. It’s very annoying to have players come and use their low lvl classic alts to troll on the forums. There is zero reason for these alts to be actively posting in the retail PvP / arena sections.

You’re posting on a character that hasn’t even logged in since 9.0 came out and you’re complaining about “classic alts”?

6 Likes

Sorry, the devs and people in charge don’t come here for player feedback.

Also…

You can try ignoring them and not respond to them.

4 Likes

Funny, the classic people have been saying the same thing since last August

1 Like

If you wish to see something like that done, Rethumtv, it would be best to post your feedback in the appropriate forum so our Devs can see. The General Discussion forum is usually the default if there isn’t a specific category, though WoW Classic General Discussion would be best here.

That said, it seems highly unlikely that such a restriction would be put in place. The posting character isn’t relevant to the person’s opinion, be it a WoW Classic character or not, high or lower level, etc… What matters is the content of their post.

If that content is trolling, it should be reported as such.

Ike, I’m deleting your posts, which is too bad since the statements there are good, but the character you are posting on simply is not appropriate. Seriously, you might consider going through your character list, before a Game Master is forced to review them.

3 Likes

Ive logged on to this character multiple times since 9.0. Forums are just buggy.

Thank you. I was a bit confused where the suggestion forum went, and where to post a suggestion outside of the in-game ticket. I’ll move this topic to there. Please feel free to close this one :+1:

2 Likes

Try resetting your password, it should force the system to update

2 Likes

I fail to see the distinction between them trolling the forums on a low level classic alt and trolling the forums on a low level retail alt created just for posting.

1 Like

Achievements are searchable on a retail character. IE a person claiming “I have high end knowledge, you should listen to me because I’m correct” can be fact checked. This is not possible on a classic character. Think of it like showing up to a job interview without a resume.

A lot of people are on the arena forums for help and insight, classic characters come in there to spread misinformation that is harmful to the community.

You can spread misinformation on a retail toon as well, as folks like to use throwaway toons or the like as well. Trying to stop folks from using a given char isn’t going to change that.

4 Likes

Like I said, you can fact check achievements of any character tied to a retail account regardless of it being an alt. So a person claiming to be Glad/R1 but doesn’t have that frame of experience can be refuted. Especially because a lot of people in there attempt to use this fact to prove their points, but can’t back it up.

If you want to equate it to PvE, I would highly suggest taking the relevant advice from a player with Mythic raid achievements over a player who only runs LFR. The mythic raider is obviously going to have the better frame of reference to talk about those fights.

I understand many of you probably rarely visit the arena forums, but classic alts have been extremely toxic lately.

It cuts both ways, unfortunately. I’ve seen plenty on both sides of the fence. However, I also believe that anything taken from the forums should be taken with a large grain of salt. No matter which forum - less so this one that is the most heavily moderated one - there are plenty of trolls and those who enjoy spreading misinformation. There is some level of due diligence no matter who is offering advice or this or that. It sucks that one has to be so mindful of what they’re ‘listening’ to, but such is the way of hiding behind a screen.

Plus too? You know how you pointed out how wonky it is that the forums didn’t update you having logged in since X time? It’s across the board, so no one can really prove who is speaking from experience and who is blowing smoke.

I just needed to logout and log back in. It updated my level just fine, honestly I just didn’t notice I was locked at lvl 120 still.

I guess the bigger problem is that forum moderation wouldn’t need to be so heavy if the report function worked better. There’s a few specific people the arena community has been reporting for trolling, intentionally griefing players to incite anger, and yet they don’t seem to get temp banned.

A few things:

You’ll not get told if a person get action as their posting toon won’t show anything like “Banned” or the like. More to the point, it’s between Blizzard and the player.

Just because you feel someone is trolling doesn’t mean the staff whom looked into doesn’t agree with it. More to the point, they only remove posts that broke the rules, not because of their posting toon.

2 Likes

They’ve been GM reviewed already. Should I resubmit them all again? I don’t mind switching to a different character for posting. I switch those all the time anyway. Just don’t want to get some kind of in-game spanking when I though I’d already gotten a clearance by way of a self-report. So would another self-report be ok?

Pretty easy to tell someone hasn’t gotten a “forum vacation” when they continue to post everyday trolling. It’s not just a “me” thing, the person in question has been reported by numerous people and still hasn’t been follow up on.

Self-reported and was deemed acceptable.

That is one of the problems with your “put in a ticket for everything” approach. You provided a list of 19 names, the majority of which most people would understand are entirely fine. Midway through the list was this name, and because of that it was likely missed.

To be clear, a Game Master cannot provide blanket protection, or “clearance” for names that you may have selected. They can miss things, as in this case, or make a mistake. It also doesn’t account for the evolution of language.

No, you should submit the ones that seem questionable. Names like Lampshade and Doorjam wouldn’t be an issue and you should know that based on your history here.

7 Likes

It depends what you mean by trolling, Rethumtv. It’s a fairly nebulous category that covered a great many sins, and some minor irritants. In many cases our moderation team removes the posts, depending on the severity involved.

Please continue to report you believe to be violating our Code of Conduct. I know it can seem like nothing happens but it does make an impact.

2 Likes

I previously had the same concern, but I understand that one GM saying a name is okay today doesn’t protect that name from being actioned by another GM in the future. I should know, because that is exactly what happened to me.

Disclaimer: Technically off-topic