Classic Beta is up on the Blizzard CDN

Was coming to post this.

It definitely appears to be a legitimate build identifier.

Open Beta for Vanilla was 2 weeks and ended 3 days before launch. Beta just means “not live yet”.

1 Like

Yep you are right. It is listed right under the “Current” Blizzard games. They would not have a game called CLASSIC WOW BETA if there was no beta.

2 Likes

Depends on whether this will be as long as a beta for a brand-new game. I’m thinking it will not have to be. I could be very wrong, of course.

This is the important detail from that page.

I hope they only take 3 days to process feedback, but dont forget alpha+ friends and family testing began in 2002.

A 3-month beta would put us right at July 16th…

15 Likes

Vanilla WoW at release was also bug-riddled and had tons of problems.

In all more recent games, Blizzard has run with a longer public beta. I suspect they will use the current system of betas as it works better rather than than the system they had in place 15 years ago.

Just because this is a rework of a 15-year-old game doesn’t mean Blizzard is going to use the QA system from 15-years ago.

In other words… expect the beta to last around 4 months after it goes live.

so the dream of FRESH in classic is real

2 Likes

2002? I guess its been running long enough then :wink:

They won’t be beta testing the content, just that the content was applied correctly.

1 Like

Damn, this lines up all too well.

2 Likes

The closed beta ran for 6 months, and the Alpha was almost a year. The Vanilla beta cycle was as long as any other product.

Now, lets see who gets an invite.

1 Like

I don’t think it will take that long. This is not a brand new product, but a remake of an older product. The beta cycle should be less.

1 Like

WOW-28377patch1.13.0_Retail was uploaded in Novemeber - That’s the Blizzcon one.

There hasn’t been a patch build uploaded to the CDN for WoW Classic Beta yet though.

Its difficult to determine how long the beta period will last. Just because this isn’t a ‘new’ game doesn’t mitigate the fact the game is running on a new engine, and has a plethora of other error prone variables.

And it hit wowhead. Is it time to laugh at the forum posters who claimed that it would be impossible for them to have a beta?

5 Likes

Nowadays, Blizzard’s policy seems to be to run with a longer public beta.

Just because Classic is a rework of a 15-year-old game doesn’t mean they are going to use the QA system they had in place 15 years ago.

I expect a 4+ month public beta since that seems to be standard for all recent Blizzard games.

Do they tend to wipe characters once beta is over?

Being posted in wowhead already.
I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t expect a beta, the “demo” was an alpha with a different name.

4 Likes