Classic approach to retail means dumbing down the game

Somehow people seem very confused how WoW evolved with its approach to gear. The gear is far easier now but the fights are light years more complicated then Classic.

I think people are in for a massive shock when they realize after you finally get passed the gear check just how simplistic the raids were in Classic. I mean the Youtube video guides are there guys.

Modern WoW took an approach that gear should not be a factor in entering a raid…i.e go see Gear Score in Wrath. This MMO dramatically changed after TBC and especially into Cata.

After TBC the dev team took an approach that gear should not be the driving factor which is how we got Wrath. Gear used to in some peoples mind equal skill but that is not even remotely accurate.

It meant you got lucky drops and had atleast 15 competent people in a raid out of 40. Also you hit the lottery and rolled a class that let you dps, tank or heal as you were more often then not pigeonholed into a role in a raid.

Blizzards failure in retail has been the carrot. After you made gear not the driving factor for raiding it was not replaced with another system. It was assumed that complicated fights would be very rewarding but removing that grind for gear turned a lot of older players off.

Going by what I see in Classic hype train at the moment old people prefer far more simple fights but harder to obtain gear. I think that is why people like Asmongold like Classic. He is a pretty trash raider who is very often carried by people who are far better at WoW then he is.

My best guess to solve the current issue with WoW and this impossible standard Classic players are setting is to let the obvious play out. Let even the WORST BFA player get to end and realize just how stupid easy Classic fights are next to something in BFA.

That is all you can do. Once people realize how simple and slow Classic is I think there will be more appreciation that people are actually asked to be accountable in BFA.

Just one mans 2 cents.

6 Likes

Thanks, I guess I wont play Classic now.

1 Like

Or…

Raids could stay the same difficulty as exists in BFA, but remove the ridiculous slot machine gimmick of TF.

14 Likes

I can’t wait for classic so people will have to actually earn gear instead of heroic ilvl welfare being thrown at you for playing memory and shooting crabs.

16 Likes

I am happy to see Titanforge go burn in hell.

I do not want to see the gear wall come back up in favor of more simple raids. Earn gear in Classic is get lucky out of 40 people with 2 or 3 drops in a raid.

Oh boy so much better then BFA rng lol

1 Like

I like more simple 40 man raids because it means raids are more accessible and there’s more people to play them with. It’s harder for people to be elitist about raids when they need more warm bodies and it’s not that difficult to learn the mechanics anyway.

4 Likes

Personally, what I miss most are attunements and a gated PvE content progression:

Do A before B before C etc etc,

But that’s the Classic player in me talking…

3 Likes

Yeahhhh you see there is reality and then there is this magical world where you think this ever happened.

I expect many to enjoy Classic leveling but lose interest in the game when they see that the end game was the weakest aspect of Vanilla.

That doesn’t excuse BfA’s terrible gearing system though.

7 Likes

Everyone I know who played in Vanilla said that outside of the few high end guilds, most guilds were just about needing to fill with more warm bodies, because you need 40 people. There were a lot more people raiding with their friends and family in Vanilla because every guild had spots to fill.

I have argued for bringing back a form of attunements for quite some time. Lock Siege of Boralus behind the quest in BFA was some odd attempt at this.

Bringing back no flight nearly caused riots and mass unsubs so people say they want Classic stuff in retail but then lose their minds.

Again we won’t know until Classic is released. This will be my response until it is live. I hope 8.2 will do well I’ve seen some responses saying they might return to WoW for this. It would be nice for Blizzard to gain some subs back.

4 Likes

Seriously. I don’t know how many times I’ve had people tell me “you won’t enjoy Classic, it takes longer to kill things, you die a lot, the mana regen sucks, etc. People are going to hate it”.

I’m in the beta, all of those things are true, and yet I’m enjoying it infinitely more than BfA. And for the record I never played Vanilla, so it’s not a nostalgia thing, either. It’s just genuinely a better game, I never want to go back to current WoW unless they ever make changes to make it better, because there is no reason to now that I have Classic and I actually enjoy playing WoW again.

12 Likes

Now imagine they just keep updating Classic with the original spirit of the game in mind. You wont ever need to return to Retail.

Time will tell, we might look back and see this as the pivotal moment Blizzard realized what they were doing and corrected it.

Or we’ll get a few fun years of Classic before it gets stale.

6 Likes

“Those people”, you mean. LOL.

No. They have been making changes to the game to attempt to revert back to “classic ideals” since wod, when they first tried to remove flight. Highly unpopular changes to the game that are responsible for most of the playerbase leaving since then can arguably be attributed to this attempt to go back and “fix” the game to return it to where it would be now if it hadn’t taken a wrong turn in BC and started catering to casuals, rather than turning it hardcore.

1 Like

You enjoy Classic until end game then reality sets in of how bad the gold sinks are, how little choice you actually have and just how futile certain classes are.

People are enjoying Classic Beta for the same reason people enjoy twinking. You have the illusion of choice and noone is screaming at you about how trash your build is.

At end game when Warriors are one shotting people, rogue are chain stunning you to death and Mages are lol kiting you that is when the hate will come.

5 Likes

Wait till personal loot is put in to “Classic.”

Then those people should try twinking in Classic. Thats where you’ll find me! 49 bracketeers beware!

I played classic when it wasn’t classic. Yes, it was fun…but it was also about the only game like it …so a lot of it is pure nostalgia. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at how bare bones it is. I have no intention of playing it again. I hope it does well, because I don’t want them to lose money, That could only hurt all their games .Actually, I am waiting for the next expansion in hope they’ve learned some things from the colossal failure this one turned out to be. In the meantime I am enjoying exploring other games.

1 Like

Here’s the thing, people keep repeatedly telling me that the difficulty and annoyances are going to make me hate the game, and so far it’s done the complete opposite. It’s made me enjoy the game more.

So I kind of find that hard to believe, but we’ll see, I guess.

I have no plans for PVP.

4 Likes