[Classes] Hero Spec names

In the Deep Dive panel Ion mentioned welcoming any feedback regarding names and if they felt like they fit or if some are lame. So I figure having a thread to discuss these would be good.

I’ll put my personal thoughts below with what I like, don’t like and suggestions that come to mind or from tier sets of the past. I encourage everyone to do likewise!

Death Knight: Deathbringer and Rider of the Apocalypse are metal and fitting for death knight. San’layn feels too niche since it has traditionally been about undead blood elves. I would suggest Gravewarden.

Demon Hunter: Fel-scarred works. Aldrachi Reaver not so much. The Aldrachi are an extinct race that we never actually get to see, while it was alright for an artifact weapon to bear their name I think it would be inappropriate for a hero spec to have it. My suggestions would be Felreaper or Felflame Dancer.

Druid: I like all of the names here and think they all fit really well!

Evoker: Likewise I like the names.

Hunter: Sentinel and Dark Ranger I assume will focus on their Warcraft 3 selves and focus on the talents related to those so without knowing the tree itself I think they fit. For Beast Mastery and Survival mix I don’t think Pack Leader is the best, I honestly think this is where Beast Master would be perfect since Rexxar is a bit of a mix too but since that name is too close to Beast Mastery then Pack Leader is a close second.

Mage: Sunfury and Frostfire sound cool. Spellslinger sounds a bit weak. Maybe Netherwind?

Monk: I like Master of Harmony. Shado-pan is kind of odd since they are compromised of all classes as shown in their quests like the Omnia group with casters. Conduit of the Celestials I like what it is going for but it is a big long. I would suggest in their place would be Stormdancer and Celestial Apostle or Celestial Adherent.

Paladin: I like Templar. Lightsmith seems odd and Herald of the Sun just as much so I am not sure what that name is supposed to represent for which spec. For prot/holy mix I think something related to Tyr would be fitting with Tyr’s Deliverance and Eye of Tyr abilities so maybe something like Adherent of Tyr or Silverhand Defender. For Holy and Retribution I think something like Lightbringer would work well.

Priest: It is a bit hard to tell which is Oracle and Archon but honestly with the overlap of holy and shadow I’m not sure what to suggest. Maybe Holy/Disc hero spec could be Inquisitor?

Rogue: Good spec names.

Shaman: Farseer, Stormbringer and Totemic are all good.

Warlock: I like Soul Harvester and Diabolist. Hellcaller doesn’t feel quite right, I can’t put my finger on it. My suggestions would be Malefic or Shadowflame Adept. Also while I like Diabolist the name Corruptor would also work.

Warrior: Colossus and Mountain thane are cool and fitting. Slayer seems weak for warrior and is also the demon hunter class title from Legion. My suggestions would be: Gladiator, Juggernaut, Battlelord, Warbringer.

4 Likes

Overall I’m happy with a lot of the titles for the Hero Specs, though I do wish some were maybe looked at again or reconsidered prior to release. Not going to comment on all of them because while I do have several of each class, I only use them for mount farming and only play a handful at endgame presently or in previous expansions.

Agree with you about San’layn. While I absolutely LOVE the San’layn and wish we had more lore/quests with them in the future, it does feel incredibly Blood-Elf-specific to me. If it stays that title, it’s the obvious choice for my BE DK alt, lol.

I feel like I’m indifferent to Soul Harvester but not at all fond of either Diabolist or Hellcaller. Neither feel “iconic” or part of the warlock lore that’s been given to use in the games. What about Necrolyte? I like your suggetions of Corruptor and Shadowflame Adept! The titles chosen for Warlock just don’t call to me or feel like they “fit” like the Shaman, Druid, Paladin, and DK titles do.

100% agree! I love them all. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I thought about creating a topic on this subject but I’m going to take advantage of it to share the feeling that the brazilian WoWt community had in those first days.

All Specs List

Many players express skepticism and concern about how these talents will be implemented, fearing that they may be too restrictive or not game-changing enough. Some comments mention the importance of changing the visuals of class skills to make Hero Talents more impactful.

Other players hope that Hero Talents will bring more customization and diversity to classes, allowing for new ways to play. Some suggest more appropriate thematic names for the specializations while others want the talents to be more focused on changing the gameplay or aesthetics of the class.

Some players express concerns about the game’s overall direction and mechanics, such as the persistence of “borrowed power” and a lack of gameplay innovation. There’s also hope that Hero Talents can allow for unique and interesting builds rather than just being another layer of generic passives.

In short, players are eager to see how Hero Talents will be implemented in practice, with a range of expectations and concerns, and the hope that they can add depth and diversity to the game.

Forums WoW Brazil

I would like one of these three specializations to work more on the use of spears or spear and shield. The game is very centered on the “trinity” of sword, axe and mace weapons for hand-to-hand combat.

I believe that one of the factors that does not encourage the use of spears by players is the posture with which the characters wield this type of weapon.

I think the stance and combat animations using the spears could undergo a rework in the future.

I would like one of these three specializations to work more on manipulating the elements in the monk’s combat like in Dungeons and Dragons. The big problem is that the shaman enhancement already exists in the game.

I would like to see a priest more aligned like an inquisitor or zealot and who would be the first priest to be able to use heavy armor (plate) in combat. Anduin is a good example of a priest who wears heavy armor but is not a paladin.

Totemic = Spec 100% Buff

There could be the option of a shaman tank using the powers of the earth. In Classic, it was possible to perform this function but similar to the protection paladin, both did not have an ability to provoke monsters. The game team could explore this possibility and would be the first group to use mail-type armor to be a tank.

I would like to see wizards using more elements in the game. In Warcraft 2 it was possible to use electricity but in the MMO version the wizard/mage is very limited.

I was sad not to find the names necromancer or necrolite. Death knights with the unholy specialization have the most mid-range (30 meters) abilities of any melee class. It would be a good opportunity to develop the staff-using death knight class in Warcraft 2.

2 Likes

The only one so far I didnt like was Shado Pan. So many different names that I think could of been better.