Classes Aren't Fun

Because, you know, playing your class involves much much more than being great at it in end game content. It’s how you experience the world. If they had a class that just mashed one button for top DPS it’d be “good” judged relative to other classes, even though it’d be completely unfun to play. If your pet spec is topping the charts it can still be unfun to play unless all you care about is the W. I think you missed the point. Relative metrics have zero to do with this conversation, it’s more about how they feel subjectively, which is mostly bad. Certain specs being objectively weak only compounds the problem.

9 Likes

This

Almost all class are terrible to play, almost the same with different color names. I remember back in WoLK that ppl complaining about arcane mage that top dps with 3 spells, my friend did a macro and smash a single button to top dps ICC. But he complains alot because was so boring playing like this.

And today all classes are equal in a matter of way

4 Likes

I’d disagree here. Not saying you’re wrong but from my experience both WotLK and MoP has more class complexity to it than cata. WoD definitely had stronger class design mechanically over legion and BFA and given how WoD was as an expac that’s saying a lot.

3 Likes

How about they at least hit 310 ilvl first?

I agree and to me it’s exactly that. It’s not only classes are simplistic now but they “feel” slow. You are waiting on GCD or something to just come off general cool down while you auto attack and yawning. Auto attack isn’t fun.

7 Likes

All I am doing thus expansion is unlocking achievements or leveling up my alts .

1 Like

I am having the exact same experience with the priest I just capped. It is awesome and I like the character, but playing it is a torturous experience. I am really struggling to enjoy it after all that time I spent leveling. I am glad and also saddened to hear someone else is having the same experience.

2 Likes

Can’t speak for other classes/specs, and I am not discounting their opinions.

But I personally love Ele Sham right now, better than how it ended in Legion.

1 Like

Seeing as my priest is disappointing me, shaman is the next class to try. I think having a melee spec for open world will fix my issues with priest while still letting me have a fun caster spec and heal.
To the OP’s post, I think there are very fun classes still out there, if you ignore the hype. In fact, I find myself loving certain specs most people say they hate. Ret paladin has been the most fun so far, for exactly the reasons everyone else hates them: it’s direct and strong without being overly complicated, allowing me to react to the situation instead of having to find the right ability. The downtime on the spec also gives me breather moments where I can assess what is going on and what I need to do next. It’s a shame I hate they are so slow and Holy is so stressful to play.
Overall, I completely agree with the fact that classes are just builder-spenders now, but I find that at least there is some variety in how that us utilized. I am thinking that if people stopped, asked what they want in a spec, and then chose, they could find something that would make them mostly happy.

I feel you, Aurael. I’ve played every class in BFA at this point yet I main a Druid because the class is versatile - I can play any role at any given time for whatever reason. But even as a Druid I’ve found game play sort of flat and it’s as you say - the class is the lens through which WOW is experienced; if you’ve got a dull lens the experience can be dull.

To go from Legion class game play to BFA hurts my soul and I feel a lot of my fellow players feel the same way. It seems to me that there’s a curse the game developers have; they want to reinvent each class and specialization with each expansion and it really hurts the game more than it helps. If only they can make changes until a specialization feels great then move forward with it…

For instance, Blood DK was amazing early on in BFA (still is amazing) and most other tanks felt bad. Instead of upgrading those that under perform they downgrade what’s powerful which, in my opinion, is the opposite of what should happen in WOW.

1 Like

With over 30 specs in the game there’s no 100% simple answer to class/spec complexity, but MoP is when the talent trees were revamped, so that’s the biggest change in that general direction.

I can tell you as someone who had mage as a main since late vanilla, MoP was body blow.

Certainly some classes or specs had simply been neglected prior to MoP, and they saw substantial improvements in more recent years. But overall, class complexity peaked in Cataclysm, and has been sliding ever since.

I have and I haven’t noticed a large enough change in those I have pushed ilvl on to give me reason to grind more on boring specs. From what I’ve experienced, if it isn’t fun at levels 1-120 and from ilvl 210 to 300 - that’s unlikely to change with a higher gearscore.

Unless 310 item level is giving them access to new abilities, I really don’t see how that’s going to change anything other than maybe feeling a little more boss. :wink:

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth

1 Like

Very well said, Erdrune. Your rational approach and detached observations bring value to a forum where such qualities are often lacking! I hope you stick around for a bit here and I hope you can find enjoyment in your pally.

3 Likes

I think the classes I play are very fun (Monk and Warrior)

If I try a class and don’t enjoy it I move on to the next class. To each their own I guess.

Also, my monk has 7 abilities that I use in my standard single target rotation not counting cooldowns which adds 3 more for 10 total. WW monks do not feel pruned and I hope that they don’t add more.

Did they even add new abilities this expansion? I remember getting new stuff to try out with every expansion. The classes for this one looked like stripped down versions of last.

They made most of the artifact weapon abilities into talents, but other than that I can’t think of any new abilities.

The GCD change on top of neutering specs really killed it for me

Now I have a 4 button rotation AND a miserable wait time between actions.

1 Like

yeah passives or passives that proc, is that what your talking about?

1 Like