"Class fantasy" is super important, and why people loved Legion

Ironically to the person above claiming Rogues have no class fantasy, this is kind of exactly what the Rogue Class Hall in Legion was like. A meeting of all of the top rogues coming together under Dalaran.

Players were having a stroke at the idea of being 4 artifact levels behind going into Emerald Nightmare.

I think this is a big part of it. WoD got hung out to dry to make all that class specific content.

A quick 10 quest chain for each class is 130 quests, which is about 1.5 zones worth or more.

Class halls plus the mounts were each about 100 quests total. That is 1200 quests (no evokers yet) JUST in class specific content, which is more than most entire expansions.

Then zone quests, the illidan/naaru chain, profession quests, etc. it was immense.

When WoD turned out to be such a flop, they pulled out all the stop to make Legion great. Unfortunately, people who quit the game in anger over really bad development decisions don’t come back immediately. The game population stabilized because of Legion, but they decided it wasn’t worth the investment to try to make new expansions so deep. They apparently moved ahead with a plan to figure out what was the bare minimum they had to do to keep the most addicted players playing and go with that. That’s what we’ve had since.

Aside from questlines (which didn’t have to be exactly class specific, if you think about it), there wasn’t much besides a class hall and a artifact.

Classes are pretty unique today, I don’t know what you are talking about. In fact, all of them seem to function way better than back in Legion.

This sounds a lot like nostalgia. Looking to the past and thinking it was amazing or better.

I’m not saying Legion was bad, by the way.

1 Like

I blame what happened to WoD on BLizz doing what they are doing now with the 3 up coming expansions.

WoD was supposed to be the start of expansions coming out faster but unlike TWW, Mid and TLT they had a smaller development team in comparison and didn’t have the live game team like they do today to keep more stuff coming .

By the time they got to 6.1 they were too focused on Legion that they basically were like screw it in regards to WoD (imo of course).

I loved class halls and their own unique stories.

It would be kind of neat if they did a race version. Instead of representing the horde or alliance, we get with our specific racial capital/area and leaders and undertake a specific quest line to further our races story within the overall main campaign. To show how every race is contributing to the war effort and to better themselves and show they are still relevant to the story.

1 Like

To me that has been every legendary post WoD.

If it was a random drop from say a raid that worked for only certain classes or if it was one you had to do all these quests to build up like the FL staff, the rogue daggers and even the cloak from MoP or ring from WoD to me those types felt legendary

Tell me about it .

I’ve been doing Cata classic lately (No I’m not a classic only player just waiting for new retail like next expansion ) and I am getting to remember how fun R Surv was before Blizz destroyed it and made it melee.

It’s not the same as MM like people say it was . I don’t feel as squishy as I do now as a MM. I have more mobility so much better for kiting . My damage on that toon is more about dot damage where as on a mm it is more hard hitting damage from range.

My argument at the time in regards to people going but it is the same as MM was and still is .

Me :Why
Them : because the yuse arrows and ammo like MM
Me: Ok in that case why do we need 3 rogue melee specs or 3 range lock or mage specs . All rogues stabby stabby so make one range . All locks and mages use spells so make a spec from each of those melee.
Them but that’s different
Me : Why ?
Them: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

Edit: I am not asking for the removal of MSurv at this point just pointing out how enjoyable Rsurv was and hopefully maybe a 4th spec will be added to bring that kind of play back or maybe it will evolve from the hero talents.

2 Likes

Problem is Black arrow was useless in Legion .

Every abilty they promised giving those who played Rsurv that didn’t want to switch to melee that were going to be put into the mm talents were in name only and played nothing like they did when Rsurv was its own spec.

MM was not perfect in Legion in fact there were so many threads about how not perfect MM was . MM didn’t get good honestly until patches 7.2.5 and 7.3 .

In fact a lot of classes /specs didn’t get good until that time .

People seem to have rose colored glasses on when it comes to Legion because of what the expansion was about and how good it was at the end but forget how the start wasn’t that great.

3 Likes

i dont remember legion being bad at the start, because i was too busy enjoying all the various story content for a year+/- oh and collecting my artifact tints

1 Like

Yes, things like SI:7 work because it is faction and race aligned, not class aligned. Subordinating all of these organizations to an international assassin’s guild deprives them of any chance they have to actually shine.

It’s also worth noting it was pulled out of nowhere, and described as, and I quote: “The slayers of kings, the downfall of empires, the unseen blades that write the true history of this world.”

What kings has The Uncrowned sanctioned hits on? What Empires have they brought down? What impact did they have prior to the Third Invasion of the Burning Legion (Because they were said to have existed prior to that)?

This is the problem with “Class Fantasy.” These actual organizations get watered down into some homogenized slop that really works out for nobody, or only a few select race/class combos.

Same problem that Tauren Paladins (An’she worshipping Druids, canonically), have hanging around Knights of the Silver Hand.

2 Likes

They did it in SoD. The Paladin quest chain is like 9/10 for me so far.

It’s just Ion and his Retail mentality stopping us from seeing it in Retail.

legion was the last expansion made before ion became the director.

1 Like

Legion, like MOP, benefits enormously from being sandwiched between two God awful expansions.

Just like MOP came after the dumpster fire that was Cataclysm, and was followed up with one of the worst expansions ever in WoD, Legion was tucked in between WoD and another awful contender in BfA.

There were some good things about Legion. Suramar remains the single best zone in the game, and finally delivered on the “Full City as a Zone” bit that we were promised back in the Zul’drak teaser.

But, for the most part, it was bad & class design was one of its worst aspects.

Can I have Legion remix please?

I’m more of an Alt Andy these days and would love to replay the artifact stories and order hall as current content and not get yoinked to the latest expansion or deal with broken Chromie Time.

1 Like

it was the best expansion and the last i liked

and its the best for me because of all the class content.

coming from swtor it was the bees knees. wow needs more class focused content

Awesome lore awesome dungeons awesome fantasy awesome amount of content awesome new M+ feature…

My dude you are capping hard.

1 Like

all they did was raid log and mage tower so they dont know much about what they are talking about

Don’t think it’s an “Ion” thing considering out of the 9 retail expansions exactly 1 has a class fantasy focus, and it was the first one he was working on as transitioning to game director.

I still think it’s a resource issue with 13 classes, making any time spent on a class specific quest chain be x13 effort compared to a singular chain.

Which is also probably why every single other expansions except legion (8 of 9) stayed away from it.

They’ve tried to have a bit of deviation, but on a much smaller scale. BFA had faction stories and chains, so x2 instead of x12 (no evokers then).

SL had covenant campaigns, so x4 instead of x12.