Class design is why people are leaving

In a Online RPG an overkill of choices is better than little or no choices, seems the current designers are more into making it a MOBA rather than the MMORPG it started as.

**but to re-cover the thread I agree 100% Class design is the #1 reason for people leaving *not the only, (I quit in WOD after they nerfed SV hard and didn’t play legion at all due to making it Melee, only came back in BFA due to a friend dragging me back and he left already due to the bad class design, and I took off my reoccurring sub, it paid up till March, I’ve not found anything that plays as good as my SV hunter played between LK-MOP (dabbled with locks and BM when wow first came out up to BC).

2 Likes

I came back after being gone for basically 3 1/2 expansions and discovered my class went from the defacto (but not necessarily always best) tank to being nearly the worst and the GCD made it feel horrible to play.

I’m leveling a monk now and windwalker has a really, really boring rotation. In my head I’d be mixing all these cool moves but as it turns out I basically alternate two skills for 80% of the fight.

The continued pruning kinda sucks the life out of everything.

5 Likes

Class design is the nail in the coffin for me. The game itself has always been some sort of grind. But I get so bored to tears on my classes that I log in, stand for a minute, then log out because I just remembered how boring it would be to play x class. So I try another one, I feel the same way.

Something I noticed in the beginning of legion was class design here too. It was clearly coated by artifact weapons, but every single dps I played had some sort of builder>spender play style. It became incredibly boring, when the weapons were taken away and I saw it coming from before legion even started. I asked myself, “how are we gonna feel when all this insane power and all these flavors are stripped away in the next expansion?” I was already concerned with the longevity of such design and I didn’t even know this was blizzards permanent plan moving forward.

They’re making very basic, bare bones class templates, so they can easily add temporary augmentations that are easier to balance per expansion.

Not only this, but coupled with the systematic time gating that has become so obvious, because of how on-rails the game has become, that people’s illusions are being shattered now.

I started in cataclysm, and despite not having weapon skills, I still felt like there were a lot of rpg elements that I could aim for. Sure, hit, expertise, dodge, parry, resilience may have seemed tedious, but it gave us gear points to strive for. It made us look at certain content and say, “this is where I need to get my next piece.” not only this, but gemming, enchanting, and tier sets added to the complexity of the game, despite the tediousness of it all. At one point in this game, we were able to systematically set a path for ourselves and grind how we wanted.

There’s so many other things that could be said, but ultimately the game has transformed into something that I no longer recognize. And for that reason, I’m out.

6 Likes

The problem with poor class design is that it effects the rest of the game. If you don’t enjoy turning your rotation on your class then blizzard can create the best content ever, but it wont matter because I don’t enjoy my classes anymore. That is my problem. I can’t even be bothered to raid anymore because classes feel so hollow. This is coming from someone who stuck around for most of WoD to raid log but I can’t even be bothered to do that anymore. This is the first expansion i quit raiding since wrath and it feels bad.

7 Likes

Jeez. Can people please stop posting why “people are leaving” when in reality you have absolutely NO CLUE why people are leaving.

Certain stats were annoying like hit but oh well.

Mastery and versatility are insanely boring and were clearly intended to just give Blizzard easy knobs to turn to adjust power rather than provide anything interesting to players.

I miss having tons of gearing options. Having meaningful gem sockets in regular gear with bonuses, meta gems, reforging, lots of enchants, shield spikes, armor patches, etc.

It’s very whatever now. The system is so built for simming that you can just install pawn and forget what any of it means.

1 Like

It’s a valid reason for you, sure. But I don’t think that’s moving the needle in the big picture. I think a very poor Azerite system, RNG-at-all-costs, lack of meaningful progression after a few weeks, very bad professions, and a horrible mission board system are probably the largest reasons people have left.

Professions are SO bad that even Ion threw his hands in the air in the last Q&A with no ideas how to fix it. I’m really enjoying last week and this week, but I know that in a few weeks I’ll be left with not getting the slots I want for… months. Yuck.

I actually think GCD and class imbalance is not an issue really. The best players just adjust to that sort of thing… and the non-best it doesn’t matter in the first place. But all players don’t like it when they have no meaningful progression.

Class design.
Personal loot.
GCD.
Flight.

The top 4 right there everyone I read hates. The dev team cannot win on these and should obviously return them back to their original design. It’s simply better than what we have right now.

Itemization is another problem but IMO a smaller problem than the top 4.

5 Likes

They started this class pruning back when WOTLK launched.

For example, hunters, the pets used to be real dynamic and cool. Pets had hunger, if you didn’t keep your pet fed it wouldn’t do as much DPS.

You had to work with your pet so it liked you, there were levels of standing you had with it (like Best Friend i.e.). You had to befriend your pet , and keep it happy.

Pets didn’t automatically level to your level, you had to use that pet (kill stuff) and level it, just like your character. The skills the pets had, also had levels or ranks. Your pet could learn all skills for that pet class. A pet would learn a new skill by taming other certain pets and then using them. This is the same way you ranked your pet skills. This alone would have a hunter out adventuring in Azeroth, you could make your favorite pet super dynamic and powerful

Now, a hunter pet is on par with your vanity pet that follows you around. The only difference is it does damage with you. I dont even open my pet UI. This has removed all connection I had with my pets and they now feel meaningless.

5 Likes

I am not leaving, so your argument is in valid.

For Gnomeregan!

I agree that class design is a problem. The GCD change is a huge part of class design and also a massive failure.

I’m liking a lot of season 2 and the new raid, but class design is hurting for sure.

2 Likes

Mop homogenization was much worse than bfa

1 Like

No it’s not, gcd isn’t noticeable

1 Like

It’s very noticeable, if you don’t notice it you’ve never played any class at any sort of top level.

10 Likes

I notice a very slight delay every 3 min when I push my cd. Not game breaking at all

1 Like

I’d really like it if they would’ve at least added a new ability each time they removed one, like was stated by Ion during last Q&A, Blizzards methods have been “Remove 1 thing, add 1 thing”.

Right now Holy Paladins feel like they’ve removed three things and added nothing.

Definitely, I think I only have Lay on Hands and Divine Protection not on the GCD.

I see you’re here to disagree with everyone once again.

10 Likes

hmmmmmmmm

:thinking:

5 Likes

So ur mad?

I mean, making yourself look genuinely stupid isn’t something anyone is going to get mad about.

10 Likes

Except I didn’t? I pretty much pwned them and they are pushing semantics