Chromie Fairytales and Fable SPOILER

Still salty I see.

I’m not salty, you’re just acting like an idiot and getting called on it. If that’s salty to you, then everyone you meet must be salty.

Amusing as usual.

It’s just Blizzard’s way of skirting responsibility. They don’t want to be held accountable when it comes to story and lore. They don’t want to put the effort into making a comprehensive story with sturdy and consistent world building. They want free, creative reign so they have an endless source material for gameplay content and in-game microtransaction.

At the end of the day, Blizzard cares about money, not story, not consistent world building, not even their fans beyond the width of their wallet.

5 Likes

Still waiting for Tyrande to be confirmed as trans.

I’m amused that of all the countless retcons, Chromie’s confirmation which changes literally nothing is the hill people choose to die on.

18 Likes

On a slightly related note, a child in my family recently turned 18, moved away, and announced they were trans.

Alot of my family is taken aback and near devastated - but I am the Joker Uncle that is always kidding, so they (the trans youth) still talks with me, but not much of the rest of our family. I try to be supportive.

Maybe it’s because the topic hits close to home. But this thread reminds me of why the Trans Child in my family felt they had little choice but to run off.

If Trans folk feel more of a connection with the lore, because they are represented, I am glad for it. There is a lot in this world meant to hurt us, so I dont begrudge people finding happiness where they can.

22 Likes

Shaw helping them hiding it could be sound. It would keep Alexston out of the inevitable blowback when the Defias became traitors to the crown.

I should have said organic. I meant mortal as in biological. Old Gods appear as mounds of flesh and maw. The spread growths, tumors, blood, bile, and rot. It seems they corrupt things biologically and it makes sense given that they are referred to as an infestation.

There is without a doubt drama. The fact that the more in-depth stuff is recent is what makes it muddier for me. Alexston would have been an interesting choice if they didn’t kill him off. I like that there is precedent there.
Chromie would have been another perfect opportunity too if Metzen didn’t address the issue. I’m just not a fan of changing the past to justify an ever-shifting future. The Chronicles retcon is my biggest peeve.

Side note- Alexston could show up in Shadowlands. It would be nice to see him and Taylor (especially to wrap up the necromancer quest).

That’s fair, and that’s why I emphasized the stuff that was strictly from Vanilla in the earlier post, because it’s what makes the more recent hints not seem like they came out of nowhere. I would love to see Blizzard do some in-depth storytelling on Shaw’s history with VanCleef because I think there’s some room there for all sorts of personal drama and political intrigue and I find that sort of thing interesting, but that’s just me, and I don’t anticipate Blizzard having any particular reason to bring it up anytime soon unless Vanessa becomes important to the plot again.

Agreed.

1 Like

I have no problem with trans representation, it’s the ham-fisted retcons and ideological virtue signaling that grind my gears.

Pelagos is fine, Chromie being retconned as trans is harmless but unnecessary - and unfair to trans people if it’s just virtue-signaling instead of an expression genuine support.

5 Likes

In what way was chromie a retcon?

Explain without using the words virtue or signaling

2 Likes

I guess it depends on how you interpret the former statement about the character: it was stated that the character was a female as a dragon with the name being an exception from the regular naming scheme. And now, it’s not the case.

[looking for the source, that supposedly should be the WoW magazine, but I do not have access to it, including the 5th vol. 2011]

Is it a problem - not something big. But it’s a part of other elements though.

We have “retcon happy” dev team as is. So, would support for a retcon be a 1 time thing, or will it validate them to freely use that tool to further alter the story of WoW, changing the meaning of old events? Is it just about “let’s add some representation to a subset of the players”, or “well, Wrathgate as a part of Sylvanas’s plan should be accepted just fine, if the story is good and / or we can convince the audience that it is needed to improve the story” will follow the logic?

Hard to say. Be it another dev team, I would say “eh, whatever not a big deal for me, if it makes other people happy - why not?”
But given revisionist approach of the dev team I am looking at it and think “I can easily imagine how a good will of the community can be used to push further the replacement of other things people knew and liked by whatever the devs will prefer”.

It’s not Chromie that feels like a problem (to me), but the context, aka what these devs might do with approval of the approach.

gl hf

1 Like

Basically, backtracking on certain past statements that change the context of how we understood a character to be. It would of been better if they never made the original statement. But they did and this is a retcon.

I personally liked the previous direction more. Made the Character more interesting.

3 Likes

I can understand this perspective. Blizzard has largely used retcons to simply mold the lore around a story they want to tell, rather than building on the lore and advancing a story. And people do not want to support anything that even has the appearance of a retcon, because it may encourage them, or something?

But in cases like Chromie , or the previously white NPCs being given different skin tones, I see it more like the movie “Pleasantville”. Like, maybe the colors should have been there, and since they weren’t, maybe they needed to be. Maybe Chromie wasn’t designed as Trans, but being revealed as Trans later adds color to the world, and better reflects portions of the Playerbase that may have felt left out.

I am not wholesale against retcons. The retcon of the Draenei lore was a big improvement, imo. I guess it depends on what is changed and why. The Chromie reveal - whether we can even agree if it was a retcon or a clarification - seems like a positive, with little actual change to the main events of the lore.

6 Likes

Except that in Chromie’s case there is no retconning. Chromie has a male name in their dragon form and a female name in the form they’re seen in the vast majority of the time.

It’s only a retcon if it changes something in the past. That’s not the case here.

I know what “ham-fisted virtue signalling” means in this context, it’s the grinding of gears that shows up whenever a character anyone gives a dam about is revealed to have a non cis identity.

5 Likes

Nah the devs kinda stated she is a Trans female now coz of the whole pandering stuff.

Probably because they cant create an interesting trans character so they just turn an existing one into a trans character.

1 Like

In that same book they created another trans character. If the world was at all fair we would have had more trans characters/lgbt+/the ability to make more diverse humans. It is not and now you can stew at the fact that Blizzard is probably simply writing a character as trans that probably should have been trans all along(which had they done years ago would have been heavily criticized).

11 Likes

How is a trans woman less interesting, pray tell, do explain

1 Like

I mean this simply wasn’t a priority for blizzard. Having proper black, asian, or Brown Nondescript™ humans with comparable range of phenotype and hair styles to real life wasn’t a priority, nor was having LGBT characters.

Same thing with other areas, like disability. Zero characters to my knowledge use a wheelchair. Which is funny because in game someone who in real life would be forced to use a wheelchair could instead have a fully functioning Mech Suit made to their size by goblin or gnomish engineers.

But we know there were always nonwhite members of the dev team. We know there have been LGBT members of the dev team for many years. I am confident there are many members of the dev team with disabilities too.

We could speculate why. Was this something regularly suggested but always shut down by a higher up? Was this always on the back burner and the majority of the team just didn’t care? Was there simply not enough devs from Other Backgrounds And Identities until recently that cared about this?

I don’t buy the engine excuse because other games have had this for years with similar engines, so that’s a cop out.

Was it fear of the community by the devs? (Probably)

Dont need to make a character that is female trans though.