Chromie Fairytales and Fable SPOILER

That seems to me like an overwrought comparison.

2 Likes

You can equate hobbies and careers together. They tend to intersect.

5 Likes

I imagine that you’d have to have a traumatically bad experience with a hobby’s side issues if a community or toxic behavior surrounding the hobby is enough to kill someone’s interest in it altogether. If you really like playing videogames, but gamers you interact with suck, I doubt you’re just going to stop enjoying games and wanting to share that with others.

If anything, being uncritically accepting is a bad thing because you turn a blind eye to parts that could be improved.

11 Likes

Just so happens that 90% of them pick pale elves and lay their eggs in the basement of some Titan pillar. Dragon lore in Warcraft hasn’t made sense for decades and this doesn’t help.
As I already pointed out, of all the 5 original Aspects, all them were mature long before elves were a thing, yet all of them choose elves as their ‘true form.’ Except for Deathwing because he wanted do… something with humans. It makes this whole ceremony seem pointless because eventually the dragon will just adopt another form.

3 Likes

Are we really gonna talk about stuff that doesnt exist again? “Toxicity is scaring people away from video games” is basically the “Video games makes our child violent” of the 21st century.

1 Like

You can, sure, but maybe not as effectively as one might desire. It seems a reasonable presumption that for most people careers are livelihoods and hobbies are leisure, and people have much more ability to move between hobbies than their careers.

The intersect is not as strong, and the ability to pick up or drop them is not the same.

This is obviously true. The United States constitution is an example of something observed to be falling short of an ideal, modified over time to arrive closer to the values it espoused. Fighting for change where it needs to be is admirable. One of the last surviving Tuskeegee Airmen, when asked why he was willing to fight for a country that fell short of its ideals in a way that affected him very keenly, answered that the vision of what it could be was not worth abandoning. It needed to be changed, and that was fought for valiantly.

Hobbies are not something that need to be rescued from themselves. They’re either a niche interest with a small but very dedicated following or they’re intellectual properties that live or die by its engagement with its consumers.

I don’t find it admirable for anyone to decide it’s up to them to change any aspect of a hobby. It’s a willful fantasy that echoes the noble pursuits of great men, but it’s just play.

With regards to gaming, there are so many subgroups and subcultures in the broader hobby that a player who is absolutely turned off by a bad social experience can disengage entirely but still enjoy single-player games in various ways. It’s not up to that player to try to make the parts they don’t like better, to find what they like and indulge. It’s obvious that Blizzard has an interest in making their spaces as inclusive as possible, but the interest is economic, not moral. They are very fortunate that they can pretend its both.

2 Likes

… what? How does this disprove anything? The Aspects were the first dragons to gain proper sentience before much of Azeroth’s races organized - by the time they were mature, draconic society and traditions didn’t exist. It’s entirely believable to think that as draconic and mortal races advanced, the idea of a Visage Day would come to be.

And even if they DO adopt another form, doing so is brief and situational if they need to disguise themselves. When it’s time to present as a dragon again, they use their chosen form. When Vaelastrasz was introduced to us in orcish form, he didn’t simply tell us he was a dragon - he literally changed his entire form back to his preferred human state, because this is how he had chosen to represent himself. Dragons can adopt other guises, but one is permanent in a social sense.

You’re grasping really weakly at straws to try and make this seem nonsensical. You’re acting as if dragons are this big group of people who only use their guise to manipulate and infiltrate mortals, but only a handful of dragons have done this - hell, there’s a passage in Visage Day where Onyxia says this very thing, and Chromie doesn’t agree.

yeah druids are trans.

Making dragons less dragony with a weird coming of age ritual centered around your humanoid form doesnt enrich the world. Also idgaf about representation. Do more pelagos stuff or make actual new interesting characters. Not convuluting dragon lore for brownie points. Tool.

1 Like

How does this make dragons less “dragony?” What quantifies as “dragony” to you?

Having them not be slowly turned into different flavors of humanoid with colored hair.

1 Like

How does this do that? Dragon guises have always been a thing, and it doesn’t cancel out that they’re dragons.

5 Likes

Dragons have fairly static and carefully considered out preferred forms, so they obviously seems like they matter a lot to the dragons. It is the form they interact with basically anyone but a dragon, after all. It makes sense to me they would have ritualized the process over time.

8 Likes

Admittedly the “folklore” angle causes me to wonder at its veracity, as making their choice of mortal form some profound decision does kind of contradict the portrayal of Korialstrasz (who in effect, alongside Deathwing were the original examples of WarCraft dragons we first heard about wearing a mortal guises), whose disguise was presented as straight-up utilitarian and adopted for covertly working in the Kirin Tor and Council of Six as he plotted to free Alexstrasza. Which was why he basically had a somewhat “made-up” mortal form that looked kinda/sorta human and kinda/sorta like an elf so that it was hard upon really close examination to be sure he was either, but members of both primary races in Dalaran were prone to just assume he was one of them with slightly odd features and be inclined to trust him.

(I.e. he was our first “half elf” (though not really), but only for the purpose of blending in among elves and humans without either asking too many questions.)

It also doesn’t seem like something that most of the dragonflights would treat that way. Frankly until only recently the reds and greens were the only dragonflights portrayed as not being generally indifferent, aloof or outright contemptuous of mortals, so suggesting that one’s choice of which “lesser” being to wear as a disguise is some profound ritualized decision seems a bit out of character for the other three flights. It was a major plot point surrounding Alexstrasza’s enslavement and the lack of coordinated effort to free her that the dragons had largely retreated from the outside world for 10,000 years and most of them held little affection for the mortal races as a result. So the modern WoW-era paradigm of friendly dragons routinely hobnobbing with mortals is a pretty recent development that only really began with Rhonin, Vereesa and Co. helping Krasus to free Alexstrasza, and even then was slow going until he Nexus War led to the flights’ more widespread cooperation with Azeroth’s champions.

1 Like

I might be speaking from a place of ignorance here. Super rambly anyway.

I’d hope that nobody thinks that Blizzard is suddenly everyone’s friend just because ultimately they’re just like any other company that chases the dollar, and being pandered to for the sake of advertising is pretty well-mocked, but I have a few thoughts about that.

1. I think there’s a trap in that wanting only the “right” type of representation might result in having none at all. We’ve seen the opposite happen with Pelagos, as well as Thiernax and Qadarin already; people complained that they were being shoehorned in / shoved down people’s throats despite the former’s backstory put behind a dialogue clicky and the latter two bringing it up as nonchalantly as you would when introducing a friend. On the other hand, Chromie is a fan favorite that’s long had speculation about this sort of thing that Blizzard initially shied away from before deciding to go with it after all. If none of those are good enough, I feel like that closes out the chance to include anything at all, which isn’t good.

2. I don’t know if the straight white male thing is so much of a niche as it has been the default for a long time in computer gaming. There’s a reason why the stereotypical nerd is depicted that way, and if you’ve already hooked that crowd, then a lot of that content is already passively aimed at them in various ways. But that gaming pandering’s been going on all long; they’ve just had a ~50 year head start in marketing and feeling out what sells.

3. People like to see themselves, or aspects of themselves, in the games they play. That’s a big reason why the increased customization options were such a big hit, especially for humans and elves; it had the direct effect of letting more people try to model their characters after themselves, or to better function as a totem to show how they want to be seen. And while this doesn’t have to do with Chromie directly, I think the concept is the same. These characters function as a representation for LGBT people where before there weren’t any. It’s cool.

4. And lastly, even if we accept that Blizzard did it purely for greedy reasons, I still think it’s worth acknowledging that originally they backed away from this idea before returning to it with the fairy tales book. If they truly didn’t care about how Chromie would be received, I imagine they’d probably roll with it just because it would have made some fans happy, so my guess would be that originally they may have been worried about pissing off a relatively larger portion of the playerbase by confirming it the first time around. Whether it’s the playerbase or the company itself, SOMETHING changed for them to reverse course on it. And in the end, Blizzard’s still an entertainment company. If it makes some fans happy, is that really a bad thing?

9 Likes

My guess is the fact a lot of the transphobes were using the lore-ambiguity of the book is a way to ignore the story entirely.

Which Danuser must have thought the playerbase wouldn’t do (naive maybe) but the playerbase did, and the Trans members of the team maybe also put pressure.

I might not have been clear, but I was talking about how Blizzard’s previous stance was “Chromie’s female with a male name” from years ago, and the book itself is them changing direction. I meant that if they hadn’t cared the first time around, they would have said Chromie was transgender before the book.

I kinda suck at being concise. >_>

1 Like

You are right. The issue isn’t that she is trans. Its that the question was answered years ago and now they are changing it.
The Chromie situation has more in common with the Chronicles debacle.
Chromie isn’t trans, now she is. Chronicles is an objective source, now it isn’t.
Blizzard changes their story to suit a present direction. That is the real issue.

5 Likes

Character details and flavor aren’t unimportant, as they’re an important tool for developing verisimilitude and giving a story depth. If we took out every little “unimportant” detail, the game story would be incredibly boring.

There is nothing in previously established canon that contradicts the possibility of Shaw having a love life. You are free to have your own impression of his character and to view him that way, but it’s not in the game, and the developers are free to interpret his character differently, since there’s no previous canon restricting them.

I find it especially realistic after everything Shaw went through in Legion. Getting captured and impersonated by a Dreadlord is one of the worst things that could happen to someone in Shaw’s position, and it makes sense to me that he might re-evaluate his priorities afterward.

This still isn’t the same as meaning that a character was intended to be straight or ace. As you said, romance is not central to a majority of WoW character stories. Unless we’re told otherwise, we can’t assume that Blizzard assigns any history or orientation to a given character ahead of such information actually being necessary to the writing. In the case of Mathias Shaw, the subject never came up before, so Blizzard didn’t need to plan out his romantic history (unless it turns out that the VanCleef theory is accurate and was intended since Vanilla, but I’d be very surprised if we learned that*). In the case of Flynn Fairwind, one of his obvious characteristics is his flirtatiousness, and so deciding who he flirts with was necessary in order to show that characteristic.

*There’s a fan theory that Shaw’s history with Edwin VanCleef was more than just him teaching Edwin how to fight and them having been childhood friends, based on certain pieces of information from Vanilla and with more recent information making that theory seem less unlikely. It’s still just a fan theory at the moment, though.

Metzen said she was a girl. Trans women are women. Nothing has changed.

12 Likes