Christie Golden has been laid off

Im glad she wrote a lighter side of the Forsaken, it reinforces that the Forsaken are diverse in their curse.

However, some of takes on the Forsaken where jarring. Like the Forsaken policing their past and Forsaken avoiding hugs because they will fall apart.

10 Likes

The duality of Forsaken. We can be chopped in half, sewn back together, and back on the front line like it was a normal Tuesday, but god forbid if we hug.

12 Likes

I don’t think Dungeons and Dragons has any official novels, but maybe. Mostly, I think she’s best with straightforward pulpy heroic characters, but people keep assigning her to write the edgy, morally grey types.

Cooties are not to be underestimated by the undead.

3 Likes

What she did to Forsaken lore is nothing short of a travesty, IMO. And as far as I can tell, most of that destruction was her own idea and not done on Blizzard’s instructions. It’s the single worst thing she has done to the overall lore, IMO again. (But I’m still not celebrating her layoff, to be clear.)

3 Likes

There’s a ton of DnD novels actually. :blush:

1 Like

I have mixed feelings but I also empathize with her situation. I hope she lands on her feet.

2 Likes

Few days ago I thought …

“I will know Blizzard is on it’s way to recovery when the current writing team is up in arms. Nothing could have possibly changed if there’s no broken eggs.”

Voila.

I guess they are getting serious about story.

2 Likes

And Hasbro axed the entire department because they weren’t “profitable” enough despite being profitable.

Garbage company.

1 Like

I don’t see how it’s disgusting. It seems relevant to her decision to not mention she was laid off considering she says that the emotional toll took her some time to adjust to. That was the context in which she said that her nephew died.

A family member died and she was laid off from a job she ostensibly enjoyed doing. Those happening within a day of each other are going to hurt no matter what, unless she wasn’t close to her nephew at all. I don’t know the extent of her relationship.

I don’t like much of Golden’s writing, but it strikes me as odd to see this as some sort of attention seeking ploy rather than its face value.

I think people kind of overblew this. Tbf I don’t really know the context in which it was written but my assumption was always that civilian Forsaken, those that do not carry out combat roles of any kind, are likely those that are too rotted to do much of anything else. Some are more capable than others. And I imagine it is those that are barely hanging on that are the ones that could fall apart at a moments notice. I don’t think Golden said that all Forsaken are like this, but again, I never read BTS.

Recent ones? I know there were some back in the day, but I wasn’t aware of the line being restarted. Unless you consider the Drizzt novels to be official D&D books, but I’m pretty sure only Salvatore writes those. (ETA: Just found out two tie-in novels to last year’s movie were released about a month ago. I should pick those up.)

I’m not aware of that being stated in any official game material, but if I’m wrong, hopefully someone can point me to it.

Even if it is stated, does it mean that Forsaken are constantly deteriorating, or just that some were in better shape than others at the time they were raised?

I liked Christie Golden’s older writing, but recently I’ve noticed some deviations in the characters and a bit of a lack of attention to WoW’s already established story. And for those who are at the forefront of history, not respecting what has been built so far is a big mistake.

I see this dismissal as something positive for the game’s history, as long as the successor respects the WoW canon. In my opinion, Golden wasn’t doing a good job currently.

4 Likes

This is my assumption. I don’t think Golden was insinuating that all Forsaken are constantly rotting and falling apart and no Forsaken are capable of fighting anymore.

To my knowledge, in the situations in which Sylvanas was interacting with Forsaken in Undercity in BTS, it would make sense for those that were severely decomposed when raised as shock troops to bury people under a wall of meat and bone would not be very stable and would be civilians of the Forsaken. Whereas others in better condition are to be Deathguards and the like. Like I said, I don’t know the context. So unless Golden wrote “literally all Forsaken are falling apart and literally all of them will fall to dust at some point in the near future” I don’t think it was charitable to assume that is what she was going for, it was just those specific Forsaken confined to the Undercity for their own safety who are in that state.

Yes, she was. She talked about how they wouldn’t even clap their hands because it would create wear and tear. She also had them constantly replacing worn-out limbs.

No, she didn’t say that. But under her system, any Forsaken who fights is going to be replacing parts like mad.

That was in fact the premise in Before the Storm, although the timeframe was vague.

4 Likes

Was it any Forsaken, or just the Forsaken in Undercity that she was interacting with in a scene?

I mean, that makes sense. I don’t think this is controversial. They lack any traditional healing capabilities.

I need an exact quote to know whether or not this is hyperbole. Because I don’t know if people are just extrapolating this from wording or not.

It was a large group, so presumably a cross-section of all Forsaken.

Pretty sure there were some quests in game where you could stitch them back together, rather than having to get entirely new parts? Anyway, I don’t see any logical reason why they shouldn’t be able to repair themselves with magic. It’s magic.

It’s not a single quotable line—it’s a pattern where she frequently talks about how the Forsaken are constantly having to evaluate every tiny action (like clapping for a speech) in terms of what damage it might do to their bodies.

2 Likes

While I haven’t been fond of her recent WoW work, I still enjoy her older stuff, am certainly sad to hear of the death of her nephew, and genuinely wish her well.

I definitely don’t blame her (one cog among many) for the story problems of the last several expansions.

Still have First Printings of all of her Ravenloft books, her first novels ever, and wouldn’t mind getting them signed if I ever met her in real life.

2 Likes

Both seem to be a thing. Forsaken using other body parts has been happening since Vanilla, in the Traveler books there’s a Forsaken who can pretty much instantly reattach every body part that’s been removed, including his torso, but it is noted that not many other Forsaken have figured out how to do that.

2 Likes

You know, celebrating a higher-up person losing their job, really isn’t the worst thing ever. Her own statement talks about the other opportunities she’s getting. She was fired three months ago and she hasn’t been put on the streets.