Christie Golden has been laid off

It shows she has no regard for the lore.

She wanted some cutesy scene with Genn having some big reaction and his tail being there - so she included it.

When the guy doesn’t have a tail! But what does she care?

If she wanted Mia Greymane to be a talking car in one scene, and a living planet in the next, that would be ok with you, it seems. To the Shadowlands with consistency!

3 Likes

Who cares.

The lore is whatever they make of it in the moment.

If they just decided to say Worgen can have tails it means nothing and changes nothing.

Nothing beyond destroying whatever delusional self-made headcanon reason they couldn’t have tails.

She publicly apologized for this.

Even though it’s something that doesn’t matter.

‘Oh god! Overworked writer forgets miniscule detail about Worgen! What will we ever do!’

Like, no man. Who cares.
This doesn’t mean anything.

She’s far from the only person to forget some minor meaningless bit of lore.
There’s no malice behind writing something like that, and thinking there is is mentally-ill behavior, I’m sorry.

If that’s what the writers want, there’s no reason they couldn’t.

Not sure if you realize this, but the problem with that scenario you cooked up isn’t that it ‘doesn’t follow the lore’ it would be if it was interesting or well-written.

Contrary to what empty-headed lobotomites on the forums and RP servers will tell you, the lore doesn’t mean anything. The lore doesn’t matter the lore is only there to give background to the story, it’s nothing but thin setting.

The lore has never stopped anyone from writing anything because it never should. The lore changes based on what the writers want to write, and that’s a good thing. Whatever parameters you believe they should follow never existed because the writers, if they wanted to, could completely abolish them at any point.

What does matter is if a story is interesting, entertaining, or at least fun.
If following the lore doesn’t allow for that, then they change the lore.
Which is what they’ve been doing since literally forever.

If you can’t handle that kind of information, you should realize that this isn’t unique to Warcraft alone. EVERYONE DOES THIS.

People who don’t know anything about writing or have no cognitive ability to create criticism about the story rely on saying things like ‘erm… doesn’t follow the lore!’ ‘erm… retcon!’ because they can’t offer any real criticism that matters.

Which is what you’re doing right now.

Worgen with or without tails, means nothing.

I’m not a particular fan of her writing, but that sounds like a terrible thing to happen. I hope she is taking care of herself and that she will find more writing gigs—something that plays to her strengths.

8 Likes

Dungeons and Dragons is a better setting for her to write for I think.

Preferably Planescape Novels.

Surely figuring out the law of Belief Shapes the Planes while examining each of the Infinitely Vast Planes in various Novels would be interesting surely!

3 Likes

You prove yourself wrong.

So you prove your whole post is nonsense.

They did not just say Worgen will have tails. She mistakenly included it.

She included a scene with a prominent Worgen having a tail, when he does not. And she clarified it was a mistake.

It wasn’t “writer fiat” like you are comparing it to. It was a flat out mistake that she made, because she was not focused on the story she was telling. She was focused on including nonsense gobbledygook that is not lore accurate at all.

3 Likes

Self-made delusional headcanon from fans doesn’t matter.

If you can’t read, sure.

So then it’s a minor writing mistake.

You have as much thought put into your criticism as Cinema Sins.

Another ding for the counter :point_up: :nerd_face:

Good luck and best wishes to Christie Golden on her journey in life.

1 Like

Wrong again.

The lore wasn’t made by fans. It was made by Blizzard.

You might have a point if Blizzard said “yup, like Golden said, Worgen have tails, and Genn especially!” That would be going with your argument of writer fiat.

That is not what happened. She wrote he had a tail - and he doesn’t. Not because of fan lore - because of Warcraft’s lore.

She was able to admit the mistake. It wasn’t some new lore she was unfolding for us.

She would not make such a mistake if she focused on the story instead of what ever incongruent images she wants to insert.

3 Likes

What I was referring to was the idea that there would be some kind of reason that Worgen don’t have tails.

The only thing telling us they don’t is that we’ve never seen a Worgen with a tail.
If they introduced one it would change nothing and effect nothing.

Then it was an honest mistake that means nothing…

Except, that wasn’t your point.
Your point was that this was evidence towards her ‘not caring about the lore’ which is why I said what I said.

This is complete baseless extrapolation from something as minor as forgetting a wolf-man didn’t have a tail.

Hell, she isn’t even the first to do this. Wei Wang and Samwise have drawn Worgen characters with tails in the past… Yet you don’t say the same of them.

Oh, I get it now.

See, this is what writers do and you can’t stand that she has the ability to do it and you don’t.

You can’t stand to see that this person has control over the story, and you don’t…

Or am I extrapolating my own ideas of you as a person from something minor you said/did?

Maybe now you can understand what I’m trying to get across to you.

Then it was changed by Blizzard a million times. Including Golden who was given some authority to do so. Every lead writer has allowed this to happen.

Sure, Blizzard changes their lore. But her inclusion of Genn having a tail was not some official Lore change. It was a careless oversight, that was admitted as a mistake.

You guys might have a point if it was some official lore change. It wasn’t. It was an error.

An error by an author who cared more about inserting her inconsistencies than the story she is telling.

4 Likes

So she made an honest mistake and that’s all that it is.

Glad you finally see that.

Nevermind.

You’re still just unable to read.

see what you said was fine 'til you edited this in. Gotta make the bad blizzard writer seem malicious. No no no, no HONEST mistake.

Others have made bigger and more egregious errors. It happens, and the fact that you and so many other people laser focus in on the Worgen tail thing tells me one of two things:

1. You and others have a narrative to push about a specific writer because of your particular distaste of them.

2. You’re just parroting the minor thing everyone harps on about, and have no actual well thought out opinions on the matter.

I’m gambling on both of these simultaneously.

4 Likes

You know, I’ve been playing WoW on and off again since dragonflight came out, and I’ve been having a great time with the game. I mostly play ffxiv, but I’ve been growing bored with it lately and I haven’t been feeling very excited for Dawntrail. I’ve been debating in my mind back and forth over which game I wanted to stick with expansions coming up soon for both of them.

I’m bored of ffxiv, but I have close friends there, while I’ve been having a lot of fun playing WoW. However, I don’t really have any friends here and aside from occassionally playing with my guild I mostly play by myself. After reading all these reactions from Golden being laid off reminds me of the one thing that’s stopped me from going “Yeah, I like WoW more, let’s go with this”. It’s the players. The lack of common decency they show. Blizzard’s fumbled hard with WoW in the past, but I humbly believe the worst thing about this game is the people who play it.

Some of you are lovely people though. You know who you are :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

If I did not have as many amazing friends that I have on this game, I would have left years ago. The things I have heard and seen the general WoW community say and do are Netflix documentary-tier bad.
That being said, I wish the best for Golden and everyone else whos been laid off or hurt by Blizzard in the past.

2 Likes

Excuse me how dare you omit the Illidan book.

1 Like

Knowing she just lost a family member to cancer I can’t feel Schadenfreude I would have usually otherwise. Sad for her. But I can be calm knowing she can’t force Calia and Baine on us any more. RIP and best wishes for the future.

1 Like

I have talked mountains worth of crap about Christie Golden over the years and I will stand by most of it. But firing her was absolutely an awful move. Despite my mixed feelings about her, SHE IS SYNONYMOUS WITH WARCRAFT! Almost as much as Metzen.
WoW won’t recover from this. Losing her is just another nail in WoW’s coffin.

1 Like

Only thing I’m commenting on here is that War Crimes is incredibly based, and no one will convince me otherwise.

1 Like

At least we got Metzen back?

1 Like