Choosing a Covenant?

Tough choice, will have to wait until we see the final iteration of those abilities and how my kit ends up.

As of right now, thematically, bastion just seems like a gorgeous zone so id love to be properly associated with it.

7 Likes

Which will you allow to be the best dps/hps boost for raids and M+?

8 Likes

Sigh. So true.

I do hope they all end up being balanced in terms of end-game viability though. It would be nice to choose an underrepresented skill/faction/trait/talent/covenant and not have people give you the side eye for your bad DPS for a change.

4 Likes

Probably the druids, the fey one.

Based on the zone aesthetics so far Night Fae followed by Venthyr. They look pretty cool. But not sure I will be playing it, so :woman_shrugging:.

1 Like

Necrolord.

1 Like

There was no option for “classic wow”. I’ll watch the new xpac with a healthy level of skepticism from the warm, loving embrace of classic. If the general consensus is good after 6 months I’ll come over and have a look.

The necromonger skill like in the chronicles of riddick is far too good to look past.

1 Like

I understand that you want to make covenants unique and impactful, but it really sucks that you decided to make the class specific ability so core.

We now have to choose between the aesthetic and playstyle, and it feels bad. For example, most healing priests will want to be Kyrian for the look, but the ability isn’t that compelling for priest. And given how the covenant abilities have a chance to impact your rotation, it feels bad to have to choose between gameplay and look/style/roleplay/fantasy.

Why not keep the covenant movement abilities, they seem like a choice that is fun, but not core to your rotation. Then give each class a chance to choose between two abilities “using the power of all the covenants combine” or something. This would also help reduce the number of abilities people have to think up. Because honestly… it is apparent that 48 new abilities is straining the imagination. Some are pretty lame, and I don’t blame you, hard to make 48 unique abilities. Better to try for quality than quantity.

10 Likes

Aesthetic >>>>> gameplay to me, so the choice is quite easy.

I’ll pick Kyrian for most/all chars.
Possible Exceptions: Necrolord for my DK, Night Fae for my Druid, Venthyr for my Warlock.

8 Likes

The Kyrian are the ones that initially grabbed my attention. The aesthetics are appealing from what I have seen and the good guy vibe is another plus to me.

I also have some interest in the Night Fae as well. The twilight of nature and the Faun-looking npcs have some appeal for me.

The Venthyr don’t appeal to me as far as their aesthetic and “evil guy” vibe I get from them. I do like the teleport ability they grant though.

The Necrolords are too “undead” seeming for my taste though I will likely end up joining each covenant at some point to unlock everything I can.

How about not give “performance” abilities at all… movement, QoL or looks should be the only differences

QoL = things that do not impact performance.
Call a (insert name) to carry you back to your home location pressing again will get you back to where you where. No CD
Call a (insert name) that acts as a bank and vendor
You choose to sacrifice yourself and can res at a GY with no durability loss or res sickness
Gives an ability that allows setting of a second hearth location.

No matter what you have it will come in handy at some point as a flavour but if you don’t have it it’s no big deal.

Stop wasting time giving boosts for damage for things that are outside good class design…

Fix the classes not add more “features”

12 Likes

Okay I have one dilemma, it’s with playing multiple specs and having to switch covenants

Let’s say you only care about a covenant for the ability; you play all the dk specs often but the covenant ability for Venthyr is only good for one spec and bad for the others? Are we going to be spec locked? Will we be forced through massive gameplay gymnastics to be able to play all the specs of one character?

I say let us unlock, for example, the Venthyr for blood, the Kyrian for frost spec and Necolord for unholy and when you switch specs your covenant allegiance switches with it?

23 Likes

TEAM VENTHYR! I do like the fae faction too though, but I’m going vampires all the way. Honestly, all of them look amazing, but Venthyr is the one I’m going with on my main for sure.

3 Likes

It’ll be Venthyr for me to begin with, but I have multiple alts so I look forward to new stories for at least 4 of my characters!

I can’t choose one until I see which one sims better for my character…and if dps simming didn’t matter, i still do not really want to choose. I like all of the potential plate armor sets except the Night Fae’s.

Thanks for making this system. I love that it connects to the story line. Azerite traits were cool in that way too. It’s also refreshing to have the ability to change the covenants and respect that we’d have to earn our way down each path for access to all sets of the abilities.

As for choosing which interests me more- i had a tough time answering because i was trying to balance how to handle being a mythic progression tank for my new guild,
Healing m+ with my cousins, and dpsing in arenas with friends I’ve known since vanilla.

How do you recommend a player handle their choice who just wants to play all aspects of this great game you’ve made, in a competitive/ try-hard fashion, from various roles you’ve given us access to through our character selection (druid, in my case)?

I want to play this fun game. I have more fun and become a better player when i can play multiple roles… yet, i feel like you guys are trying to discourage that. This, i think, is where the conflict with making a choice comes into play.

Tier set bonuses in legion were amazing that they swapped for your spec. Then you started charging for that versatility - which influenced people taking upgrades from other people for a duplicate piece they already had to accommodate. The same is happening with covenants, but at least taking upgrades from others is off the table. I don’t understand what good is added to the game in exchange for making people feel like you don’t want them play in ways that make them better players, don’t want to add tank/ healer options for the overall player base, and feel like we can’t play all the forms of great content you’ve created.

17 Likes

I Picked Night Fae because I play a Druid, and it feels right to go with the nature theme.

My answer will be cosmetic now but if I plan on launch it will be decided by min maxing.

I like the nercolord so far.

1 Like

Kyrian and Night Fae are close for me so I’m on the fence, picked Kyrian 'cause I’m all about what Kyrians are about and aesthetically are my cup of tea.

Which ever one Bwonsamdi is involved in. Love that guy and his snark.

3 Likes