Chicago Deep dish > NY Pizza

Pizza fight!

5 Likes

As a person living near Chicago, I am totally unbiased when I say that I agree with the OP.

3 Likes

Superior copy you mean. The square shape gives corner pieces which are the best pieces, and the cheese to the edge gives it extra crispiness on the crust.

Now I will say the “stuffed” style of pie from Chicago from places like Giordano’s is amazing, but that’s borderline a casserole and not a pizza.

Now look here. Actual pizza is made of 4, if not 5 layers.

1. Crust
  2. Sauce
  3. Cheese
  4. Toppings
  5. More Cheese (opt)

The unholy abomination that is Chicago Deep Dish adds another layer of toppings and sauce. That is NOT pizza by statute.

I used to be in MA where the HQ for Pizzeria Uno is.

It’s just thick pizza.

Heck I can make a meal out of like one or two slices. It fills you up way more than some tiny foldable pizza from NYC.

1 Like

To quote the great Jon Stewart…

“So let me explain something. Deep dish pizza is not only, not better than New York Pizza. It’s not Pizza. It’s a cassarole. I’m surprised you haven’t thought to complete your deep dish pizza by putting some canned onion rings on top of it. It’s a cornbread biscuit that YOU’VE MELTED CHEESE ON!! And then in defiance of god and man and all things holy, you poured uncooked marinara sauce atop the cheese. Atop! The cheese, atop! The sauce, naked, cold, on display like some sort of sauce …”

“You know the expression there’s no such thing as bad sex or bad pizza? Your pizza is like sex with a corpse made out of sandpaper! Let me tell you something! THIS IS NOT PIZZA!! This is tomato soup in a bread bowl. This is an above ground marinara swimming pool for rats. Let me tell you something about your ‘Not Pizza’. I wanna know, when I get drunk and pass out on my pizza? That I’m not gonna drown. Let me tell you something. When I look at your deep dish pizza I don’t know whether to eat it or throw a coin in it and make a wish. And if I did make a wish it would be for some real pizza!”

“Now! Now! In all due respect, I realize it’s very cold in Chicago. It’s very cold. It’s windy. You need to be able to, I don’t know, have a pizza and cut it open and climb inside it like a tauntaun to keep warm. Seriously who, who are you kidding? Who uses an iron skillet to make a pizza? You don’t use an iron skillet to make a pizza, you use an iron skillet to fend off anyone who tries to serve you pizza made in a skillet. Here’s how I know I’m right. You call it Chicago style pizza, you call it deep dish pizza, stuffed pizza. Do you know what we call it? Do you know what we call this? Pizza!”

8 Likes

I really like both Chicago Deep Dish and NY Pizza. However, eating too much cheese can make me feel funny. That’s why I usually stick with the thinner Pizza that has less cheese. So, I’ll usually go with something like NY styled Pizza over Chicago style.

More authentic doesn’t make a pizza taste better, I find authentic Italian pizza to be the worst version… but I’m not much of a pizza connoisseur to be fair.

Deep dish is the worst iteration of pizza. Why do you want all that bread?

1 Like

It’s more of a pie crust in consistancy.

But if you make pancake batter and pour it into a loaf pan it’s now bread. It shares its origin with pancakes but it’s not a pancake.

Chicago pizza isn’t pizza. That doesn’t make it bad.

ITT degenerates and philistines

i don’t expect anyone here to be cultured enough to appreciate chicago pizza in all it’s glory and splendor

3 Likes

Grandma pizza > then everything else

2 Likes

But it’s Deep dish pizza, just saying.

2 Likes

Deep dish is not a pizza, and therefore cannot be compared against one. Your logic systems must be askew.

Eventually you change a thing enough that it’s not the thing anymore. Call it what you’d like but it’s too removed to be a true pizza anymore.

Just like pancake bread isn’t a pancake; it’s not bad it’s just not the same.

Neapolitan is better than both x100

1 Like

OMG I just got done posting in a pizza thread, I also just got done eating a curry and now I want pizza lol

However BOTH is the correct answer to this thread!

In the winter you want that bread, so cold weather means deep dish, not to mention it retains it’s heat better during transport and you get warm pizza to eat, even in the cold.

In the summer you don’t want to be bloated with so much bread, but you want the yummy toppings and cheese, so that’s when you go with Brooklyn style, it’s already hot outside, so the thin pizza stays warm and can be enjoyed in all it’s floppy goodness.

/hugs

2 Likes