Character Transfer Process Feedback

I’ve recently done an character account transfer or two using the service and have some thoughts. I went looking for a ‘Feedback’ forum and you don’t seem to have one. This omission is probably food for thought more broadly.

Transferring my characters has been, to put it bluntly, incredibly janky. When you consider the price of the service this jankiness is approaching insulting. I would also say that it doesn’t come close to the expectation of Blizzard polish but this is 2022, not 2002.

By far the biggest problem I have had is that the validation process is completely opaque. There are a LARGE number of pre-requisites that the player must meet before the transfer is able to go ahead, and these requirements are never relayed to the user. If the process fails it just refreshes the character list without explaining whether it was queued or failed, and why.

By UI design standards, this is completely unforgivable. Imagine filling out a long and complicated web form; the form doesn’t work because you didn’t include something, but it doesn’t display an error. The user is instead - as a regular part of the process - expected to research external resources as to why they could not submit.

Worse, the current process is also distinctly unethical. You purchase the transfer token first and try to execute it later, whether you realise that the character you want to transfer is eligible to do so or not. This can very easily result in a wasted token purchase.

I would like to think this is not by design, but you know, Diablo Immortal.

I hear you are trying to do better. This is my feedback.

1 Like

Token aren’t wasted… they just don’t get used until the errors are corrected.

That’s silly, if I can’t do the transfer I want to do without spending more money (in my case buying Shadowlands a few months before Dragonflight) then the token is wasted. QED.

But straight dope, what a weird point to make out of the whole pile of feedback. Its like you looked for a reason to defend AB.

I’m fairly sure the Character Transfer process warns you about common issues, especially mail in your mailbox.

It’s not an ethics issue. The character transfer will not be consumed. Your character wasn’t eligible when you thought it is. Resolve the issues and try again.

It takes 60sec to figure out what you need to do.

2 Likes

When executed in-game, no such warning or advice is given. No information is provided as to what caused a transfer to fail.

Do you think that it would be more user-friendly if read mail, instantiated heirlooms and pet cages were simply scrubbed from the character as part of the transfer process?

No.

Heirlooms might have enchants i dont want to bother with.
Pet Cages could be extremely valuable.
Auction House mail is included in that → What if someone deletes millions of gold?

It’s not that these aren’t uncommon issues, it’s that a single error is just very costly. So those restrictions help enforce a sanitized character. In general, deleting things without my consent is gonna be a bad time.

I disagree, but that’s my opinion. A simple dialog explaining that heirlooms etc are removed would be sufficient for this concern.

Should the system tell you what items caused it to fail? Should it be possible to request a transfer with a character that is unable to be transferred?

I think if the errors were generally easier to understand and correct, it would be only an improvement. However, I think programmatically removing items is simply too risky.

I’d personally be fine with the option to do it, however, I don’t think it should be implemented. I haven’t used anti-virus in a decade, I’ve had no issues. Yet somehow people still get viruses because they make dumb mistakes. I apply that logic here too – I know I’ll be fine, but there’s a sizable crowd of people who will royally screw up.

And FWIW, I do think it’s a give and take. Gain Convenience, Lose Security. Not gonna die on this hill though. :slight_smile:

To be honest I hadn’t considered expensive enchants. Its a good point.

But the thing is that these edge cases kind of distract from the sheer awfulness of the UI and process.

You can request a character transfer with a character that cannot be transferred.

I’ll never think that’s good enough for a premium service, and it’s a hill I will happily die on :smiley:

Huh you do get told why you can’t do a transfer.

I wanted to transfer a character from one account to another. I bought a token, tried to use it on one of my toons, then get an error message that said my character was wearing heirlooms. You’re also told if you have mail, an auction, account full or if you’re the leader of a guild.

1 Like

That was not my experience. The character screen just refreshed whether it succeeded or failed.
That’s literally what I’m here whinging about, its in the OP :smiley:

I can agree a bit here. I do think a “Transfer Readiness” check would be something good to offer. Being able to see a checklist of items on a character before you purchase a Transfer token would help modernize the process without really impacting the actual process itself. (It’s a dry run, effectively.)

I know it’s in the OP, I’m saying I don’t believe you. I’ve done a few transfers and I’m always told why it doesn’t go through. You also say the token is wasted which is also not true. It just sits on your character page until it’s used.

2 Likes

No. Players would transfer and wonder why things on their character are missing. Even if there was a warning about those items being deleted players would just click without reading it.

If I had enchanted heirlooms I would want the chance to mail the heirlooms to another character before transferring and then mailing them to the new realm. If I had extra pets I would want the opportunity to move them before transferring.

I think that calling someone a liar is out of line. I’m going to ignore you now.

I wasn’t that blunt but you are saying things that don’t make sense.

3 Likes

And yet you post.

That didn’t last long.

1 Like

I never said I was going to stop posting, I said I don’t care if you ignore me. Obviously you’re not ignoring me, so I’m not sure why you even made that statement :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I can’t find the option, I’m new here. Someone mentioned you could do it though!