Character transfer between battle.net accounts?

I’ve been playing on my bro’s account since Burning Crusade, and there’s a couple characters I’d like on my new battle.net account, one of whom I’ve had for over a decade and would sorely miss. Is there any way to move my characters from my bro’s battle.net account to mine? We’ve gone through the whole “character transfer” thing and it seems our accounts would have to merge and then split for me to get my own characters on my own account. Neither of us are clear on exactly how it works. Can anybody help clarify?

Technically no, characters are not meant to be given, gifted or sold between different peoples account, sorry.

6 Likes

So, should I abandon my account and just split his?

You should definitely have your own account, unless your brother also happens to be your guardian and you being a minor, you should not be sharing accounts.

I’m not sure what you mean there, but there really is no splitting or merging of wow accounts.

6 Likes

We’re both adults. I’d like to play WoW with him, you see. There are quite a few forum posts and a couple official FAQs about merging and splitting accounts, but they’re difficult to pin down (I just tried to find them and google failed me somehow). This is part of the clarification problem, lotta guff and not a lotta info.

Then that boils down to my original answer, there is no way to transfer characters from and too accounts unless you own both accounts, and they are in your name.

If the accounts are not in your name, then sadly you technically are not allowed access to them.

If you want to start your own account, then Refer a friend might help you catch up faster.

6 Likes

Let’s try to clear some of that up for you :wink:

• Merging accounts:
    This is the process of moving a single WoW account from one battle.net to another battle.net under the exact same name.
  • Splitting accounts:
    This would be the exact same as merging them. You’re just moving a WoW account to a different battle.net account under the exact same name.

As for you and your brother sharing an account, that’s just not something you guys should have done unfortunately. The rules are pretty clear on it that only one adult and one minor child/dependent can share an account.

Even if Blizz does let you transfer a character from your brother’s account to your account (and at the end of the day it’s at their discretion and your brother is welcome to put in a ticket and ask), you’ll be leaving behind anything that’s account-bound. That would include mounts/pets/achievements/transmogs/etc.

What you’re really best to do is start a new battle.net under your own name and have your brother send you a Recruit a Friend invite too.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I’m less worried about catching up and more worried about preserving a character for sentimental reasons. Losing access to the collections is similarly not a priority.
I just wanted to see if there were any sort of official system in place to facilitate transfers.
Also, that article’s just a declaration of personal responsibility for login info. Has absolutely nothing to do with whether it’s legal to share an account.

It is not legal (in Blizzard’s eyes) to share an account except under the conditions stated in the Support Article I linked above.

Here is a post from Blizzard:

The others are correct but I’ll put it in blue… It doesn’t matter who pays for an account, only the registered user for the account is permitted access with a single exception. That exception is that you may allow one minor child, that you are a parent or legal guardian of, to access an account you are registered to.

5 Likes

The system that’s in place is for player’s to transfer characters between their own accounts (exact same name). It’s not designed for transfer between siblings for the reasons already pointed out in this thread.

Feel free to open a ticket to see if Blizz is able to make an exception, but understand that it’s not likely.

6 Likes

Account Access Limitations

You must maintain the confidentiality of the Login Information, as you are responsible for all uses of the Login Information and the Account, including purchases, whether or not authorized by you.

Subject to the laws of your country of residence, minor children may utilize an Account established by their parent or legal guardian. In the event that you permit your minor child or legal ward (collectively, your “Child”) to use an Account on the Platform, you hereby agree to this Agreement on behalf of yourself and your Child, and you understand and agree that you will be responsible for all uses of the Account by your Child whether or not such uses were authorized by you.

You may not transfer your rights and obligations to use the Platform.

That’s legalese for “you are responsible for your account and any actions it takes. You cannot blame someone else.” Again, has nothing to do with who may access the account. The line in the beginning about “maintaining confidentiality of the Login Information” is simply placing the burden of responsibility of passwords on the account holder. Any rule attempting to limit someone else’s dissemination of information is unenforceable except in cases of national security and intelligence, and a video game is hardly that. They cannot legally tell me I’m not allowed to share my login info. They cannot physically stop me from sitting at my bro’s computer to play. Nor would they want to.

You missed this part in the EULA:

Subject to the laws of your country of residence, minor children may utilize an Account established by their parent or legal guardian.

Blizzard does indeed own the account and can state who is or is not allowed on it.

I’m not to sure why you’re arguing with us to be honest. You asked the question and have not only been given the absolute correct info, we’ve also linked to supporting Blizz documentation.

Your brother has been sharing his account with you. That alone “could” lead to its closure. While that’s unlikely, what you’re asking is if you can move the character that you weren’t allowed to be accessing over to an account in your name. Typically speaking, the answer is no.

5 Likes

You’re arguing a different point, one that’s moot because in my research I saw dozens of posts of people going “I share my account and would like to split/merge them”. Do you seriously think Blizzard is gonna start closing accounts because people share them? That would be idiotic and pointless, burning basically everyone on the platform and starting a PR nightmare. I’m not sure why you brought up this nonsense about “you’re not supposed to share accounts”.

The EULA is a legaly binding contract violation of it can lead anywhere from suspension and account closers blizzard wont hesitate to do do its blizzards sandbox if they say no then its no.

5 Likes

Mostly because it’s not nonsense. You might think it is, but Blizz doesn’t. That’s why we’ve seen so many threads from Blizz employees on the subject.

Are you able to transfer a character from your brother’s account to yours? No.

Are you allowed or should you have ever been on his account? No.

Can you ask Billing if they can make an exception? Sure, but they’ll likely say no.

This is what we’re trying to cover for you. The crux of your question.

6 Likes

Right. You still changed the subject tho. Good to know Blizzard still has some customer service growth to do.

O.o ??

Subject is whether or not you can move a character from your brother’s account to your own because you shared his account.

When exactly was it that the subject was changed? In fact, I’m the only one that said you’re welcome to ask Blizz directly as they have the final say. But as far as the systems and rules go, the answer is no.

I’m also confused why Blizz has “growth” to do just because you and your brother couldn’t follow the rules? I mean, you did say that you’re both adults after all.

8 Likes

You are making this harder than it needs to be.

Make a new bnet account. Have your brother ask billing if he can transfer a character over, explaining your circumstances. Be prepared for a no, because none of what you’ve been doing is actually allowed. Be pleasantly surprised if they say yes.

That’s all there is to it. Side note, it is pretty ridiculous to complain about a company’s customer service when you do something they do not allow and then get mad when it isn’t easy or possible to undo the thing they don’t allow you to do in the first place.

8 Likes