Character Overpowered

This character has suddenly started one-shotting all mobs around it’s level. Basic attacks are doing thousands of damage and everything is dead in one shot.

it sounds like you have simply out leveled the mobs you are killing

7 Likes

open your adventure guide
choose a new place to quest.

5 Likes

Keep in mind that unless you’re in Chromie Time, expansions do have level ranges. Depending on which one you’re in, you may have hit the level cap for it. Open up your world map, mouse over the zone and it’ll show you the level range.

5 Likes

With your character being 35, I’m going to take a stab at you still being in the old world (Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor). Those levels only scale up to level 30, so you’ll need to move on to Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria zones - unless you go into Chromie time and choose another specific expansion to level through.

8 Likes

Appreciate the help - but I don’t believe it’s a mob level issue. My level 35 is hitting for 15,000 damage against the same mobs (in the same zone) that it was taking me 6-8 abilities to kill this morning. I did pick up a couple of pieces from the AH, but if you look at my profile - none of them should explain this damage increase.

What zone are you in? That would help us to pinpoint whats going on. If you are in a zone that you outlevel, your damage will be kindly insane. How hard you hit increases to match the zones I offered in my post before. So if you’re still in old world zones, yes. At 35 you’re going to be whaling on mobs in areas you outlevel. Get to an appropriate level zone, you’ll see a drastic difference, I promise you.

7 Likes

It happened in Stranglethorn Vale and then in Dustwallow Marsh - so you must be right. I just expected outleveling mobs to be a gradual thing - not going from taking 6-8 abilities to kill them to doing 5x their health with every ability. I’ll try moving continents next time I’m on.

You can also talk to Chromie at the Orgrimmar Embassy and opt to level in the Cataclysm timeline. All the zones will scale with you until level 60.

Unless this is your first character, that is.

4 Likes

you should have left Eastern Kingdoms about 5 levels ago.
your xp will be greatly reduced staying there.

check the chart above.

at 35, you should be doing Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria content

8 Likes

It usually works that way, but the lines between expansions are hard break-points.

So, for example, if the upper-limit for the area you’re questing in is 30, then from 1-29 you will gradually feel more powerful against mobs. At 30 you may or may not feel a drastic increase in your power, but at 31 you definitely will. At 31 you could look at a mob with a hard stare and cause them to fall over, dead.

I’m exaggerating but you know what I mean.

More importantly, actually, is what Nobully said. You’re gaining virtually no experience by continuing to quest where you are.

Now, you don’t need to move anywhere else. Personally if I am on a questline and I outlevel the zone, I continue the questlines despite the lack of XP and despite being overpowered. Just to finish the story and/or complete zone achievements. But I do acknowledge in this playstyle that I’m gaining virtually nothing except story advancement as I continue in low-level zones.

But certainly, if your main goal is to level up and fight challenging mobs, take Nobully’s suggestion and move to higher-level content.

6 Likes

Confirmed that changing continents resolved. Not at all what I recall from the last time I leveled up years ago - so surprised and grateful for the help. Thanks All!

6 Likes

They streamlined the lvl to make it easier thats why u tend op one content and get ur butt kicked when u move on to the next.

1 Like

Or BFA great if you have flying, good xp and gold from quests