Chaos bolts are what lava burst should be

Take away the instant lava bursts, but it should be as hard hitting as chaos bolts. Im ilvl 460 and my lava has a base of 12064. Absolutely no excuse for that

6 Likes

No thanks. I like my insta lava bursts. If anything Iā€™d like to go back to legion when you almost never hard cast them and could spam flame shock on multiple enemies quickly without a cooldown and the procs would go like crazy!

7 Likes

All that does is makes the devs lower the damage of it, making it just another lackluster spell

4 Likes

Id rather lackluster damage in an engaging and dynamic rotation than sitting behind loading screen after loading screen. The spec was also more mobile before too as so much of it was cast instantly.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that Chaos Bolts are limited by Shards. While Lava Burst does have a cooldown (which is a resource in of itself), the Shaman absolutely takes advantage of instant procs.

For Lava Burst to have comparable damage, would mean that is taken from other sources.

Shaman doesnā€™t need that, and is blatantly ignorant to think that Lava Burst is at all comparable to Chaos Bolt.

4 Likes

although im not sure what shaman needs to feel good again its definitely not what its doing right now you just run in circles until you have a earth shock to go off on and that just feels ā€¦wrong i want fat chain lightning and lava burst hits back not resource holding just to dump it on a earth shock all while we run in circles waiting for lasso to come off cd

1 Like

Change the name to lava tickle

5 Likes

Stack Strikethrough crit corruptions, use the Control of Lava PVP talent with the Skyfury Totem talent and youā€™ll get pretty close.

This is a complicated topic. On the one hand, Elemental ramp up is pretty awful in a single target scenario, so the Lava Surge -> Lava Burst mechanic is very important to minimize the ramp so you can unleash those meaty Earth Shocks sooner. On the other hand, Lava Burst used to be our highest damage dealing spell and reinforced our hard cast playstyle to explode enemies.

I personally like Earth Shock as the highest hitting spell as it feels somewhat like an Execute of sorts, allowing you to use it in burst combos more effectively and while moving to boot.

As mentioned above, it is possible to make certain abilities stick out more than others ā€“ see Igneous Potential Azerite trait + Control of Lava PvP talent to make Lava Burst more of a hard-casted, hard hitter. So, maybe itā€™s more a matter of shuffling things up to allow for those distinct playstyles in the non-PvP talent tree and without needing specific gear, e.g. Azerite traits, to support it.

1 Like

Make lava burst hit harder by 25% base level and tone down earth shock by 20%.
Remove flame shock CD.

I think that would give ele some great pressure while toning down the earth shock burst a bit to compensate for a more engaging play style rather than stacking your shock and going for the wombo combo all the time.

Sometimes it can be harder for ele to counter pressure because itā€™s always waiting on burst.

Personally, I would love to see Lava Burst gain damage based on your crit chance, similar to Chaos Bolt.

That, technically, is the ā€œappealā€ behind taking Ascendance - besides eliminating the CD of LvB thatā€™s exactly what it does.

Ya I have mixed feelings on that ability. But you are still stringing together relatively minor spells over and over to get the effect of what we should have in the first place.

When did we get lava burst anyways? TBC? I wonder what itā€™s damage was in comparison to other spells

Iā€™d rather not lose the mobility if offers PVE.

1 Like

Also consider that lava shock generates maelstrom; changes to the cast rate of lava shock would affect the rate of maelstrom generation.

WotLK, and it was our hardest hitting spell by far

2 Likes

Iā€™d much prefer Lava Burst be the ā€˜hard hitterā€™ to Earth Shock, which just feels so lame (to me) with its tiny visual and instant effect. I love that anticipation of a juicy Chaos Bolt/Pyroblast flying at some poor fool, and thatā€™s how LvB used to feel.

Obviously there are pros and cons, and as this thread shows, reasonable minds will disagree.

3 Likes

make mastery useful

3 Likes

I donā€™t disagree, but I always find it funny when non shaman are all ā€œREMEMBER MULTISTRIKE?!? THAT WAS THE BEST. WHY CANā€™T THEY BRING IT BACKā€

And then I think about shaman mastery. How its basically multistrike. And how its almost always our worst stat to target.

2 Likes

Ya I hate the design philosophy behind making it weaker and more ā€œspammyā€.

1 Like