Chains of Domination Storyline...That's It?

Alright so I about a week into 9.1 I realized that this patch just isn’t it. I then only logged in to do the weekly chore quests and progress story to find out what happens.

I wanted to wait until it was complete to give a review… overall pretty underwhelming. The only answer we got this week was that the Jailor was once the Arbitor…Okay?

Just as Sylvanas was about to give us some insight into their plan Anduin goes and interrupts her and we learn nothing. I’m so tired of this “Wait till next patch” style of storytelling. It’s just endless bread crumbs that lead to nowhere.

That’s not to say that it didn’t have some high points. I think rescuing the Primus was fun, and the dreadlord storyline was my personal favorite questline in a long time. However, everything else was pretty meh.

I think this style of having a handful of quests each week sucks. Prolly would’ve enjoyed it more if we could just grind through the quests all at once and at our own pace. I mean that cutscene with Anduin takes place BEFORE the raid end and we just now see it for the first time weeks later lmao.

Blizzard whatever you are planning for 9.2 you guys need to go back to the drawing board and make sure that we get some ANSWERS for what’s going on because this is getting pretty damn bad.

I’ll see you all in 9.2

10 Likes

they will have to burn it down and start from scratch, this lore pulled the rug under the feet of all the last xpacs

4 Likes

I think it’s fine personally. We know most things now. The stories of the covenants, the history of the Jailer and Arbiter, his origin, crimes and imprisonment. We know exactly where he’s going to right now, the Sepulcher, and his general plans.

The only detail that hasn’t been elaborated yet is exactly what knowledge he’s looking for and what’ll happen when he gets it. Which will surely be the main zone and story campaign revolving around 9.2. But otherwise I think we’re pretty up to speed on what’s happening.

Timegating is something they’ve always done throughout all of WoW’s history. It’s annoying, but it’s also a way to pace out the life of the content and give us something to look forward to. Otherwise it’s just do it all on day one and then “see you in six months for the next arc!”

5 Likes

Called it!!

1 Like

The Primus made a pretty big reveal at the end of today’s questline:

" The Primus says: Zovaal pursues the secrets locked within the Sepulcher. Should he find the knowledge he seeks, all that you know will be undone."

I’m not sure what more you guys want.

1 Like

I am so excited actually as I suspected there was a connection between the Jailer and the Arbiter months ago!! :smiley:

Not a super climatic end of a chapter, thats for sure.
Fine by me but the imprisionement of denathrius was much cooler.

2 Likes

this whole scene should have been tacked onto last weeks story, there was no reason for this to be end of 9.1’s story. They could have used this one to close out covenant story threads, or to actually set something up for the future, somehow they ended up half buttoxing both of those things leading to absolutely nothing. Couldnt even close out the sylvanus story.

To think a few weeks ago i was looking forwards to what today would bring.

2 Likes

Agreed, I want to know where Denathrius” story is heading.

This same “review” come out every time there is a patch.

No, that is not it. There is 9.2. Just like there was a 8.2… and a 7.2.

This is the way the story of an expansion has unfolded every time. Every. Time.

FFS, we have the attention span of a gnat.

I was thinking the same thing. I felt that this should have been attached to last weeks or something more to climatic, leaving us with unanswered questions but wanting to see 9.2. 9.0 had a good ending for the night fae quest line especially the final battle in that zone.

1 Like

I was just happy I didn’t have to go to several different zones to finish it.

1 Like

The Jailer (Who we don’t really know anything about, but don’t worry) got all the Sigils (What we don’t really know nothing about, but don’t worry) to open (We don’t really understand how, but don’t worry) the way to the Sepulcher of the First Ones (Which we don’t really know anything about, but don’t worry) to utilize some First Ones technology (Who we don’t know anything about, but don’t worry) to unmake reality (Which doesn’t really mean anything, but don’t worry).

Just FYI renown 80 unlocks November if anyone (like me wants to wait before playing without timegating.)

6 Likes

A storyline that isn’t atrocious, with well written dialogue, characters, good pacing, a world that engages me, and a sense of driving the story forward through my actions.

You know, the bare minimum of an RPG storyline? Why is the bar so low?

3 Likes

We don’t get answers because those simply don’t exist yet. Blizzard writes their stuff as they go, and I bet they have no idea where this trainwreck is going from now on.

1 Like

I mean…some idea of what it is rather than pointless speculation?

I’m not exactly shaking in my boots here or concerned, cause I know whatever it is won’t be ready and waiting for him to just use like flipping a switch. Odds are he’s waiting for us to rock up with this stupid key that the Primus is making when we should be showing up with a sack full of mana bombs.

1 Like

This right here.

I was standing there listening to the dialog and dreading how long it was going to take to finish this last chapter. I was already pondering what kind of insane boss fight i was getting myself into…or even worse, a hop between zones to perform small tasks and such.

I was actually relieved that i didnt have to do any of that. Its all done…until when ever this continues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Something other than vagaries, perhaps.

Also we still don’t know the Jailer’s motivation. He seems pretty persuasive…he got Sylvanas, Devos, and even Sire Denathrius on his side after having a chat. But we’ve never had that chat with him. So we don’t know what’s so compelling about Fake Thanos.

Our reason for coming to the Shadowlands (Sylvanas) has been resolved, and Blizzard has done a poor job connecting us to the Jailer. The Jailer has gotten everything he wants pretty much whenever he wants, the destruction of his lair and the slaughter of his minions has been inconsequential. How is that compelling? He’s an outright god now who can bend us to his will with no effort. That’s not an interesting villain.

Right now the story only makes sense if he is going to win. But when Thanos won, it was after tons of buildup and drama and character development. We have no idea what the consequences of the Jailer’s victory will be, unlike Thanos. For all we know Zovaal just wants “Taco Tuesday” etched into the fabric of reality so he can get those yummy tortillas on the regular.

3 Likes

What did expect a Pinata with Legendaries to fall off from it ?

I feel like the inspiration for the entire expansion was that the story writers just finished watching Season 6 of the walking dead and thought the cliffhanger was an amazing way to end each patch