Cathedral Square Policies

“I want to create a democratic project that will secretly be turned into a tyrannical mess where IC politics become OOC as people try to make their characters be badass political figures who own everyone who also rely on dirty OOC tactics to get rid of IC opposition while the leaders do absolutely nothing to stop this because they’re too cowardly and or participating in it.” - Geroux

edit: apparently this scenario ACTUALLY happened in SLP over the last week with some guild trying to convince people OOCly into voting on an IC proposition that would have favored said guild, so that’s kind of a self-fulfilling thing

5 Likes

Tbh I dont know how involved Geroux is involved in SLP anymore. I know who the other said leaders are, and you’re right, they still do that crap.

2 Likes

I’ve got no idea who you think you are, or why you think I should care about what you’re saying… but you’re just another random hateful voice who doesn’t know me (or Geroux) and has something to prove, standing out in no way from an ocean of people just like you.

Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

You cared enough to respond.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Again.

2 Likes

Regarding this whole topic, I think this is very much something that has to do with conflicting rp styles and basically who has the ability to enforce what in said situation. As it’s rp, no one truly has a say on the grand scheme of things and how they should be. By that I mean no one can tell someone else how to do something in their own personal rp.

The complication clearly arises once one rp interjects somewhat in another and this is very much what is being described in this post. There are only a couple things that can be done tbh and none of them involve dropping a hammer on the other player. One can either discuss with the person about it and how it could work to benefit one another or simply if a disagreement comes, just focus on the rp prior to the encounter. Disagreements happen all the time but it’s how one handles it that matters.

In my opinion, I disagree with putting a set of strict rules of how one should rp unless there was a clear consensus and agreement between the participants. By this I don’t mean someone and their friends, but between the person and whoever they’re rping with. It pushes one’s ideas onto other people and it forces conformity onto those who might not acknowledge said ideas/rules as legitimate. If this is the case, then it would be illegitimate if there wasn’t agreement of it via both parties.

Overall if there is a disagreement on rp, it’s just simple to move on and go on each other’s path. Obviously there could be complications via one party escalating the situation, but it should be okay to say that you don’t want to rp something. However, it’s not okay to say that how someone else is rping is wrong and that they should conform to how you rp. RP should be fun for both parties and if we aren’t having fun, then what’s the point? RP is a social activity and we should all be having fun regardless of different opinions or rp styles.

1 Like

Thankfully. I can think of nothing more silly than attempting to enforce some sort of “server legal system” to bind others to in RP.

3 Likes

That’s why it’s opt-in! :slight_smile: Keeps it simple.

I figured I’d mention it though, in case it’s something that might help resolve the dispute going on from OP’s post. It seems like an issue of “Guards say X, Paladins say Y.”

Erm… well. There’s a lot to unload here… but we can leave that for another thread. Don’t want to get too off-track!

My char’s purpose on MG is to help out folks who want to have redemption arcs for their chars involve punishments. My char’s never involved unless a player OOCly contacts me and asks me to help move their storylines along - a common scenario is a player wants their char to be sent to the warfront, have an arrest warrant issued on their char, get permits for something, or have their char be executed, in order to keep a RP storyline going.

What doesn’t happen - at least, for myself & my character - is politicking. Geroux here isn’t in any of the lawmaking bodies, and I’m not exactly the most active player ever. This is my… goodness, second post on the WoW forums in years?

But this isn’t an SLP thread… it’s a Cathedral District thread. Hopefully this helped spark some ideas.

P.S. This weekend was a vote for a city council body. We had around 150 voters, which was rad! IC voting’s to continue soon.

What you’re saying makes sense! But yeah, it’s quite tricky.

Nobody has a problem with the fact that SLP is entirely opt-in.

The issue is that and military guilds are the only two areas you’re going to encounter “serious” rpers, and those two areas are quite ripe with drama.

3 Likes

Me too, and only because wow does not have the systems needed in place. There are no rolls, skill checks, stat checks, etc. It’s not D&D. I’d be more inclined to accept someones outcome were there a system that was somewhat fair to determine so. But it’s wow, there isn’t. So the whole “im the boss cause I said so, and I punch you in the face and win” thing doesn’t fly for me.

4 Likes

Just want to say that the Priest (The NPC) welcomed me right in to the Church when I walked in.

So, all of this ranting is ‘voided’.

See what I did there?

4 Likes

LOL, you win the Internet today

I’m happy just being a Knight, no fancy commander title and not acting like I got a stick up my you know what.

Paladin’s should not be emotionless crones of authority, in fact they are people to but they should atleast (try) to uphold higher standards but just like real life, people are people, and they can get, upset at things.

Just my thought on the whole thing.

This all sounds like a contrived reason to stop players from having fun.

If someone summons a demon or a void tendril and they’re new, kindly explain the etiquette to them. If not, react in horror and roll with it.

It’s a classic example of the “Yes-and” rule of improv. Don’t fight it; embrace it and have fun.

3 Likes

I feel like people wanting to own a space is an aspect of any MMO-RP community. I get it, who doesn’t want their own backdrop for their own roleplay that enforces the quality and standards that you want to see in the game?

Unfortunately, unless Wow introduces actual player housing, that isn’t going to happen any time soon and if you try to enforce that in the open world - you’re just going to come off as kind of an butt.

It’s an age old problem with no real solution.

2 Likes

Except player housing. /wink

I’m not necessarily sure that inference holds up. I’m sure there have been instances where certain churches were considered governmental property.

I mean, certain government organizations have the authority to supersede the rights one has over private property as well.

Ultimately the argument seems irrelevant, though. If you don’t like the discussion IC (as in debating who has authority) and you can’t resolve it OoC (to see how they feel about the situation a step removed) then just worth ignoring it.

3 Likes

Essentially this.

In many historical countries where there was a state religion (and I’m not saying the CotHL is, but it’s a possibility as Blizz has given no lore on what it is) the religious buildings were owned by the state. Example: Carolean era Sweden or post-Henry VIII’s seisure of the monasteries and church property.

3 Likes

Well, and with the lore on lack of payment to the stonemasons, we do know that the Crown was responsible–at least financially–for the construction of the Cathedral.

If we want to go with the clues ingame, it’s reasonable to say the actual property and grounds fall to the monarchy or the civil government it oversees rather than the Church as an independent entity. The Church of the Holy Light probably owns the Northshire Abbey, but even that is conjecture.

4 Likes