Cape corruption cap catch up

Did it Monday at r1. The quest chain gives you enough momentos to buy the orbs. 3 full refills on sanity. With R2 I cleared a side zone and some trash from a third zone to maximize momentos. It was 120 for 2 days and I know I played horribly.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/illidan/hellsack

/Sigh anything that is mind numbing time fillers is a chore. Doing dailies is 100% a chore. Doing a m+ to push a key isn’t a chore. That’s actual engaging gameplay with interesting mechanics and gameplay. Same with PvP or raiding. You’re vastly misaligning what a chore is.

The difference is those are cosmetic, not barriers to entry. If my friend wants to play wow now he’d have to doing a metric crap ton of dailies. For visions and essneces. He’d have to get his ilvl up. The grind to jump into a heroic raid with me or try and play at 2k rating is massive.

You hop into a game of league or fortnite and the only thing you’re progressing is cosmetic. Zero barriers to entry. Hence they’re popular, unlike wow which is slowly bleeding to death.

Lol but you’re making dumb claims that it’s the players fault. You’re defending super bad game design because it’s advantageous to you. You’re just as culpable with your green ink over there.

Or I’ll keep on giving people who support bad game design a hard time. I have 471 ilvl with good corruptions. Doesn’t make it any less boring or time consuming for the simple sake of giving people stuff to do (when there is tons to do). I don’t want the game to die and I’m tired of bad game design.

Is there a way for me to filter MVPs so I don’t have to see their posts anymore? This guy is deranged.

They really do need to fix this somehow. Visions were interesting for a while but now they’re just a chore to get currency for and do. I have 3 characters that are easily 5 masking them, but that doesn’t mean that they’re any fun.

They made essences BoA just to give us another chore in the form of the cloak/corruption resist. It’s definitely going to turn people away who would otherwise want to gear up an alt.

Yep but the legendary ring didn’t have a 9 month long arc to max it out.

This from a guy who is actively memed about in the DK discord. Maybe stop making terrible YT videos and take your own advice. Stop giving bad advice when it seems that you have no idea what you’re talking about in any aspect of the game.

In this particular case I think we need a new color for least valuable player.

So, is it better to cap the cloak and stop the gradual soft nerf it provides through more corruption gear being able to be equipped or let it go and continue the soft nerf?

Capping is a direct nerf to the nerf mechanism (is that a buff? :thinking:)

I think they should cap it. Corruption has already had a degenerate effect on pvp and made raiding completely faceroll. We don’t need more of it.

The lack of mythic clears suggests raiding has, in fact, not become faceroll.

But PvP has been crapped on all expansion so no surprise there.

You can catch up with 2 a week. Kill Nzoth and full clear a vision.

All the damage in the world will not help people who can’t execute mechanics and mythic just has more of those mechanics. Either way, we’ve already received a crazy amount of power from corruptions and don’t need more. Capping it now will make the game less of a chore, prevent pvp from becoming more of a meme, and makes it easier to get alts going.

Yup. This argument 100% for everything Blizzard does. (Limited timed content / timed gating, cosmetics, mounts, pets, promotions, etc.)

2 Likes

Diligence is rewarded by being at the cap every week that’s not to say you can’t have catch up mechanics that don’t take months to accomplish. The visions themselves are way too punishing on players who mess up or get messed up by trying to run them with people who don’t know any better and it certainly doesn’t change the fact that there is far too much time gating in this expansion it doesn’t feel smooth at all… Time gating doesn’t make up for lack of content, spreading your content out over an 8 month patch with time gating doesn’t make the content great or actually worth 8 months of content.

You don’t make the game you’re just a useful idiot to the people who do. you only have green text because you defend bad game design and nawat is right the people in charge of BFA are killing people’s already dwindling desire to play world of warcraft.

Life happens and when it does it has to take priority why should people be punished for that? I’m not saying bring back previously exclusive items mounts or the ilk but when something like corruption resistance is tied to end game progression as strongly as it is there is no excuse to not have a catch up mechanic and that goes for pvp as well. Like the mage tower stuff should stay exclusive to people who did it, that should not come back but as long as 8.3 is active they need to make the game accessible to players who would play 8.3 and 8 months is a long patch with plenty of players who wouldn’t play for a straight 8 months. You want to feel rewarded for doing everything right away? great there is a timer on your achievment, you will be the first one to show off that aotc mount / cutting edge title, you’ll have more chances at RNG drops than players who took a break and that should be enough.

We have not passed the point at which you cannot catchup. That date is week of June 16. If you do not get a rank 15 cloak that week, and then do another run for your first upgrade (or go beyond and get your 2nd upgrade from normal+ nzoth) you will actually be behind everyone else.

On September 8th, that allows for the final +3 (25th) upgrade to the cloak. Using the current 2x +3 upgrade per week and ensuring you do both things every week. You will eventually catchup to everyone else on September 8th.

In essence, catchup is still possible as of right now. It may not happen in whatever your definition of it may be but it still exists. It’s only after that hard cut off week of June 16th that catchup becomes impossible to reach +125 along with everyone else at the same time.

The system we have now is just like crystalized fel. Blizzard is going to be nice, and with their catchup that may drop next week. But they aren’t going to wait until everyone gets all 25 upgrades at the exact same time. Cause just like crystalized fel, if you missed resets, or did not farm enough valor you could not get that 795 ring before legion launched on August 30.

i can’t believe you wrote all that out and thought that sounded reasonable to the average player. People are gonna hate me for saying this but it’s true. WoD was better than BFA even with the lack of content because it didn’t try to force players into pigeon holes by homogenizing everything (pvpers into pve, pvers into pvp ect ect) like essences did and because you could log in be caught up within a day or two no time gating and be on your way into raiding end game content. It may have wasted the Yrel raid / story on a freaking selfie camera / social media but at least the game was accessible to everyone.

Encouraging self-segregating behavior is why the game becomes unwieldy to balance (oh can’t give too much to this area otherwise another category whines). There should exist chase items in all aspects of the game.

Encouraging players not to come back because they’ve missed a week of game play makes this game impossible to defend. If you want players to play your content stop incentivizing it with core game play functions (LIKE ESSENCES WHICH WERE SUPPOSED TO REPLACE THE GAPING HOLE IN CLASS DESIGN LEFT BY THE ABSENCE OF ARTIFACT WEAPON ABILITIES) and give people cosmetic / mounts and if that doesn’t work MAYBE, JUST MAYBE MAKE MORE APPEALING CONTENT.

To me, for an RPG I view that as a bad thing.

Something more askin to an FPS and MOBA.

Working on your character for months should yield something stronger than playing for 2 days.

2 Likes

and if you are getting more chances at loot drops via RNG working on a character for months is more likely to yield something stronger than playing for 2 days where as capping someone out for 2 - 3 months on time gated content or forcing them into playing content they don’t want to play (pvpers who don’t want to PVE but have to if they want to PVP vice versa) is going to drive them away from the game.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree, as players we consume the content on blizzards schedule we are tied to cycles of weekly resets yes, specifically because blizzard charges us a subscription to access content. Its not because its fun to do it that way, its a function of time and income for blizzard.
Blizzard design the game, its systems and progression paths to match their business model. They also understand there are very negative consequences in the game when players are gated too far back in the status quo. Which is why they will often look at how the game is tracking and take corrective action. The current game model works best when players are working through the same content, its a compromise because blizzard doesn’t want to keep balancing an ever increasing stream of content… imagine if they had to make sure classes were balanced back in ulduar through current with all the new gearing systems/options specifically because they did not want to add catch up options.

Except that it detracts people from
a) returning to the game
b) new players from trying the game
c) burnt out or existing players from trying to new classes

I am currently levelling\gearing up alts in prep for shadowlands, do you really think I will stick around for the full duration if I have to run dailies for coalescing visions to level up 15 ranks of cloak BEFORE I can even start to catch up to the current cap of corruption resistance?

The reward for diligence is that you had access to the content/power x weeks before those that took advantage of the inevitable catch up systems. if blizzard break that expectation prepare to bleed out a heck of a lot of subs (they have already learned that lesson). Its a balancing act of just how much catch up should be in game.

You had me at WoD was better than BFA.

There is not enough space in a single post to fully expand upon why that statement is true.

would you try anyway you are the first person who hasn’t jumped down my throat for saying that and i’d like to hear your take on it tbqh