Can't use usable weapon?

This character, Enhancement Shaman. I have a dagger and an axe equipped. It won’t let me use the ability Stormstrike. It says “requires one-handed melee weapon”. I have two one handed melee weapons equipped.

I swapped the dagger out for a fist weapon and now I can use the ability. The problem is the dagger. But Shaman can use daggers and they ARE a melee weapon. What’s going on? That dagger is a massive upgrade from that stupid fist weapon.

2 Likes

A quick google search shows that the ability does not work with Daggers, neither will lava lash.

You might want to investigate further with your fellow shaman, on the class forums.

(Edit) NM, moved from CS.

2 Likes

Stormstrike requires One-Handed Axes, One-Handed Maces, and Fist Weapons.

No daggers allowed.

Edit: Oops, no one-handed swords either.

1 Like

I’m feelin’ your pain. My enh shammy dusted an ilvl375 mace when he picked up a 390 weapon from a daily quest, but I overlooked that it was a dagger. It’s the first time in years I’ve used the item restoration service to get back my original weapon.

(Of course, not only was it a dagger, but it was a caster weapon with INT rather than AGI. That’s probably why I was suddenly smart enough to recognize my error. :joy:)

Daggers are a distinct class of weapons from “one-handed melee weapons”, never mind the fact that they are one-handed melee weapons.

Outlaw rogues have the same problem with daggers: at least one important special in their rotation is unusable with a dagger in the mainhand.

It’s apparently intentional. I recall it was related to normalization of attack speeds.

2 Likes

Shaman can use daggers because of intellect daggers. The same way that you’re able to equip agility maces at low levels in elemental or restoration despite them not doing much for you.

Definitely no swords!

1 Like

Daggers are not considered “one handed melee weapons” they’re a special category of weapon in relation to abilities known as daggers. Here is an example of what I mean.

Stormstrike for example has a req of “One-Handed Melee Weapons” to use weapons that fall under this category are One hand Axes, Swords, Maces, and Fist Weapons. Shaman as a class are unable to wield Swords, but if we could then yes you could Stormstrike with them per these rules. This requirement is also why you can’t use a 2hder to Stormstrike anymore even though Shamans can equip 2hd Maces/Axes.

Mutilate for Assassination has a requirement of “Daggers” to be used this means that even though you can equip any One Handed weapon as a rogue you can not use Mutilate as it can only be used by weapons that are considered Daggers.

Eviscerate has a requirement of Melee Weapon this category is one that means any weapon type so long as the class can use will work with the ability. This includes 2hders/Staffs rogues can’t use these, but per the requirement of “Melee Weapon” if they could equip such weapons then yes they could use Eviscerate with a 2hder/Staff.

3 Likes

Hey, my friend has an enh shaman and is having issues using one-handed melee weapon. Storm strike and lava lash wont work and he has tried with a mace, axe, and fist weapon. How is this being resolved or did wow break again?

1 Like

Your friend must have two one handed weapons equipped, not just one, and both must be axes, fists or maces.

1 Like

It’s sad Shaman’s can’t use daggers as Enhancement, again Blizzard restricting customisation. Now races such as the Kul Tiran can be Shaman it makes little sense that we’re not able to use swords either.

1 Like

This isn’t correct, you could use daggers on shamans for forever and had no issues. I was just using my shaman a few months ago with daggers and had no issues, also it doesn’t fix with a mace either so its a bug not a design choice.

Daggers haven’t worked with Stormstrike since like, literally WoD, when they changed it to prevent 2hs from working with it too (though back then you could equip the Ulduar set and use it for some weird reason)

bringing back 2h enh would complete my life

2 Likes

You could for a while. Dunno when they removed the ability to wear the 2 set for it. Prolly Legion cause they disabled a lot of legacy sets, maybe BFA.

I goofed around did gold proving grounds with it on (and also once without it on, with the 2h still equipped) to make fun of everyone who struggled with the silver requirement to queue heroics.

It wasn’t really usable but it was fun.

Just played my Shaman a few months ago and they worked fine, i logged into him with daggers equipped because they were working fine

I mean I’m not gonna be able to convince you otherwise but I promise, daggers haven’t worked with Enhance skills for literally multiple years, and you’re not remembering correctly.

Good luck with trying to get this “bug” fixed lol.

3 Likes

You can EQUIP daggers still but they don’t work with Enhance skills. They don’t count as One Handed Weapons, but as, you guessed it, Daggers. Daggers are mechanically different (for some reason) and this is on purpose.

Try playing an Outlaw Rogue with daggers equipped, they have the same issue as Enhance does (and the reverse for Sin and Sub IIRC).

the problem here is not that this is “on purpose”, but why would it secretly be “on purpose” to where a warrior told he can use a certain set of weapons has to find out on Torghast, in prot spec, that one of his most valuable abilities, Revenge, will not work with it, even though there’s no such indication even from the message given: “must equip a one-handed weapon”. The same applies to enhanc shamans & otherwise. Some actually save up for these, buy them, make them part of their whole spec, & then have to find out when they badly need an ability that now either the weapon or ability want to act funny. It’s called a bug. It doesn’t need a narrative. The history of the dagger and who & how someone should use it have no bearing on the need to preserve the strict reliablity of announced game mechanics at any given point in time; mechanics that, sure, can change, but not to the point of having people lose gold over it or disabling a character in the middle of time-sensitive content.

1 Like

No, it isn’t. This is a deliberate game design. You disagreeing with it doesn’t make it a bug. Check what loot you can get in dungeons/raids with the dungeon journal, check what your spec has listed for preferred weapons. If you choose to buy a weapon type that isn’t listed, that’s entirely on you.

If game designs we disagree with are bugs, then if you ask me no flying in SL is also a bug. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Oitlaw can have a dagger in the off hand and all abilities work. Must have a axe , mace , sord of fist in main hand.