Can't uninstall Overwolf or Curseforge

I discovered Overwolf running in the background after I closed it so i decided to uninstall it.

It takes me to a window to choose if i want to uninstall Curseforge as well. No matter what i do or select it does NOTHING. I haven’t seen an uninstall fail like this in over a decade.

3 Likes

The overwolf devs are trolling the forums looking for people talkign bad about their company and playing white knight tonight. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised given their history if they did such a thing, apparently there’s a program called wowup that works for now how twitch used to.

4 Likes

Try using Revo Uninstaller.

6 Likes

Overwolf isn’t malware, but it is bloated programming crud. Ops troubles don’t surprise me but headed to bed so can’t help.

Another plug for wowup. Solid addon manager.

7 Likes

Just noticed this weird comment. What are you talking about? Most people I see here use WoWup or Ajour.

1 Like

Per there Twitter

The Overwolf framework is the engine that lets the CurseForge app stay small and nimble. It handles updates, patching, analytics, ad placement, identifying the games, finding and working with the addons folder and more.

2 Likes

There are other overwolf threads open and in them there are two demon hunters who I can’t name because of forum rules that are on an all out crusade to defend overwolf’s new investment. Talking about how overwolf running without permission isn’t a big deal and all companies scrape and sell your information.

They know what a reputation their company has so they are here to defend it, you’ll know them when you see them, male and female demon hunter pair so far.

6 Likes

Eh, to be fair, they’re not wrong about the information stuffs. Google, Facebook, etc all do it. But I still won’t put Overwolf on my comp. None of the others make me run two programs just for one to function. And I dislike any company who threatens the little guy as blatantly as they did at first.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip about Revo Uninstaller. It worked.

If i was on the fence about Overwolf before i’m a hard F-NO now.

5 Likes

I’ll just keep manually updating my addons.

8 Likes

my only nitpick with wowup is everytime i open it, every single add on says update.
i could literally update every single one close wow up then open it again and every single one will say update.

And overwolf was garbage, it wouldnt even install right for me i uninstalled it.

It’s substantially better than Twitch was, as it functions exclusively to manage your mods with none of the bloat.

2 Likes

WowUp is pretty great. Though, I actually just switched from the v1.19 to v2.0 beta and have to say the next version is WAY better than the current stable version.

It does everything I need in an Addon Manager :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I changed too WowUP and love it…its small…not bloated…don’t have too register or give out my email addy…

2 Likes

I just downloaded, installed, then uninstalled OverWolf with no issue.

Using the Windows Apps and Features section to uninstall, it took a few seconds after selecting OverWolf to uninstall for its own uninstall pop up to come up. Then I selected uninstall and it all went away.

I set mine to only open Overwolf when running Curseforge, than have both close when I close Curseforge. Right now Curseforge is closed and I can find zero trace of Overwolf still running.

It’s not the program, at least it’s not for me. I don’t know why people talk so bad about it, I almost started to believe the negative hype about this program until I used it and found there to be no problems.

Open control panel you will find it running in the background even after being closed

1 Like

Don’t worry, you’re probably not the only one. Everyone else in your position who hasn’t used the program before will quickly realize it’s hot garbage just like you did.

Good call on your part! :slight_smile:

You can change that in the settings options. I have mine Cursed Forge app set to close both upon closing Cursed Forge and it does so correctly. And I just uninstalled both by using the control panel and selecting to uninstall Overwolf.

He considers anyone who doesn’t shallow his BS as one. Gone are the days when you can make up your own mind about something, now a days we have “Zijo” to tell us that!