Can't tell if real or phishing email from Blizz

So I just received an email earlier today from “Inc Blizzard Entertainment” (which I’ve never seen that before) using the email address noreply@e.blizzard.com (which seems sus to me) and it was sent to my iCloud email address (which Blizz doesn’t have), yet used my Btag name (that is attached to an entirely different email address).

The email was to sign up for Game Pass on PC and give a free month.

Should I report this or is it actually legit?

Id be suspicious usualy its noreply@blizzrd.com can also forward it to hacks@blizzard.com

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, too.

A blue could respond in the morning but considering it didnt go to ur blizz email id call phony.

1 Like

I just got the same one, though in my case it did go to the correct email.

1 Like

I have that email too and it went to an email that only Blizzard has, so there is that. Same sender email and such.

4 Likes

Okies, thanks! At least I know the email address is legit. Akston said the same in a thread on GD.

I can’t PROMISE it is legit, but it seems that a lot of us have that same one to our Bnet only emails.

2 Likes

When I can get on my computer, I’ll look into the email further. Sometimes Apple mail shows me the wrong address that it was sent to, so it’s possible it was sent to my Bnet email address.

e.blizzard.com is a subdomain of blizzard.com, which is controlled by blizzard. Now, if it was something like blizzard.com.co, or something odd at the end of the domain, that’s where it gets fishy.

If you’re ever unsure who’s using a domain, you can put it into lookup.icann.org, and that will tell you who it’s registered to.

7 Likes

when in doubt, never click on any link on the email but go to your bnet account and go from there. if it’s legit, it’ll be with your account stuff too.

2 Likes

We usually keep a list of emails in the following Support Article that should be fairly up to date.

Keep in mind that list is not exhaustive new ones may pop up from time to time.

8 Likes

Just as an FYI, the “from” address on an email does not tell you where it’s from. The from address is filled out by the sender with whatever they want to put there, much like a real envelope. If you want to see the actual origin of an email, you have to check the headers. As far as icloud, the last time I touched an Apple device was an Apple IIGS in 1989 so I can’t help you there, I have no clue how to find the headers on that. Maybe someone else does.

Also, while there is a legit email about the game pass stuff going on (I got one, deleted it because I’m not interested in game pass even for free), phishers are known to copy legitimate emails and alter them to go to their phishing sites.

So even though there is a legitimate email of this sort going around, that does not mean yours is.

2 Likes

Just wanted to provide some information here for those that may use Microsoft Outlook as their E-Mail provider.

Microsoft has added a nice security feature to their E-Mail client. If you are unsure of the sender, You can hover over the name of the senders E-Mail address and it will show you the actual senders E-Mail. Without you clicking on it or anything of that sort.

Discovered this recently when I had a phishing E-Mail show up in my inbox.

4 Likes