Can't quote anymore?

I tried quoting someone in a previous thread and then the system took it away. Is this a bug?

1 Like

The same is happening to me lately. I just edit it and quote it again.

No. You just can’t quote the entire comment of the person directly above you. It auto-removes it if you do. At least, it has to me a couple of times.

Also, quoting to test.

4 Likes

I think it is.

You can bring the quoted part back in during reply composition. Just click the word balloon.

Nope. You cannot change what other people quote or it doesn’t like it. Additionally, the last [ /quote ] has to be on the line after the end of the quote. If you try to remove a piece of the quote and move it up it doesn’t like that either. Literally just highlight the text you want to quote and click the quote button that pops up. Then don’t mess with it at all.

I didn’t. It removed it anyways.

Ah ok

You can, and it’s hit-or-miss as to whether the system will leave it as-is, or automatically prune it “to remove quote of entire post,” which can literally be added back in by one button click if you just edit the edited post.

Like, I don’t really get why this is happening, because it doesn’t happen all the time, and it doesn’t happen if you just do the same thing over again. I get the idea of discouraging quoting of entire posts when they’re really long (it’s better to break them up into manageable chunks for ease of reading/replying), but since easily 90% of posts are a short paragraph or less in length, it seems superfluous and annoying.

EDIT: OH! I get it! You mean that it only prunes the post if you quote the entire post immediately above yours. I see.

…that’s still stupid, but at least I get it now. I mean, ostensibly if you don’t directly provide a quote in your reply, it would seem to apply to the post directly above your own, but since it hasn’t, in my experience, ever demonstrably put the indicator to directly confirm that in the upper-right-hand corner of the post if it’s the one immediately above yours, this is still a poor substitute for just having left the fool thing alone in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not sure what to tell you then. I’ve had no problems with quoting and I spend way too much time on these forums. If it’s bugging out for you I’d wager it’s something you’re doing and not the feature being bugged in general or it’d be a consistent issue. It’s not.

Man, you quoted me before I fixed my typos…

Stupid phone hates my fingers. Much better on a real keyboard. lol

Ahem. Anyway, I just took the message being sporadic as being a new feature that isn’t fully implemented yet.

Edit: Yep, that is what I meant!

2 Likes

…

Others said it happened to them too.

So? That doesn’t prove anything. Tell me the steps I need to do to reproduce the problem.

Yeah, basically this. Weird, honestly. Not sure why the change. I like my quotes. It doesn’t ever say who you’re replying to if it’s right below, and now we can’t quote a post if it’s right below. Makes things confusing, imo.

2 Likes

Testing to see if this is the case.

Edit: Clearly not the case. Just quoted your entire post with no issue at all.

You on a computer or a phone?

If you try quoting their complete post, then it will be removed when you save the post. Seems detrimental to conversion to me. Especially with how quickly a topic will go off-topic here.

2 Likes

You didn’t get the quote inside of the post, which counts as part of it.

I’ve had a message appear on mobile multiple times that said “system automatically removed quote due to containing an entire post” or some such.

1 Like

Ahar, hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

And now? How’s this gonna work?

It’s oddly inconsistent. I have seen the message though.

No problem here, I highlight the text I want then a quote bubble pops up and goes straight to a new post for me.