Can't log into my main. "A character with that name already exists"

Just like the title. When I tried to log on today I went through the loading screen, got to 100% and then got an error. “A character with that name already exists.” No kidding! Me!

It seems that my character is stuck in some sort of meta offline/online state. Friends lists and guild roster shows the character as offline for 3 hours. However, if you /who the name it shows my character in Tirisfal glades Or STV and AFK.

I’ve tried to contact support but for some reasons support hours are only from 7AM until 10AM. Man I’d love a 3 hour work shift. But what i’d love most of all is to be able to play my character after a few days of not being able to due to DDoS attacks and whatnot.

Any advice? Any help?

All of my alts work. All other realms work. Only my main receives this message.

I am not sure if this is important or not but this is for Classic Wow

It might not work, but start here

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/wow/197/834/solution

This should be the automated system, then if it doesn’t work,

Character With That Name Already Exists

Updated: 4 days ago

Article ID: 8387

Relevant Games:

World of Warcraft

Common Problems

I can’t login to a character, it says a character with the same name already exists.

When a World of Warcraft character is not properly logged out from the server, it’s possible to receive the error, “A character with the same name already exists” when attempting to login to that character.

1. Try logging into a different character and then logging fully out of the game
  2. Reset your user interface to make sure your files and addons are not corrupted
  3. You may need to wait to allow the server to remove the character, which happens after 30 minutes of inactivity
1 Like

Usually staying offline for about 30 minutes will make the server recognize that the character is offline and log them off. You could try using Kozzae’s stuck ticket, though.

That isn’t remotely accurate. The hours for the channel you were looking at were currently 7am to 10am, my guess is the call back option. We also have Live Chat, though like the Callback option it depends on the issue and is generally only available for Billing and Technical issues. Our ticket system is essentially 24/7.

I would agree with Kozzae here, and try using the “Unable to Move” ticket option. That should hopefully move the character to a safe location and allow you to log into it. If not, we can go from there.

5 Likes