Can't log in anymore

Ok, it’s been 7 hours sitting in the tech support section without so much as a whiff of a response. Time for General

Game played fine yesterday.

Probably 1 in 10 attempts make it to the character screen, rest permanently try to find the server. Logging into a character just disconnects me. The News in the launcher has to be reloaded occasionally.

• Did a repair, it didn’t help
  • Emptied the cache, didn’t help.
  • Emptied WTF, didn’t help.
  • Flushdns, it didn’t help
  • Speed tests are fine
  • Websites work fine, including watching Youtube vids.
  • Getting occasional “World Server Is Down” windows, IE Blizzard is outright lying to me.
  • Deleted my addons, didn’t help.
  • Deleted the battle.net folder in programdata, didn’t help.
  • Deleted the Blizzard Entertainment folder in programdata, didn’t help.
  • I have used the self-service to move my toon to a “safe” graveyard from outside the game, it didn’t help. Also, most of the time I don’t even make it to the character screen.
  • Unistalled, including registry entries.

If I clear the first huge hurdle of actually making it to the character screen, jump the second of it not being black/blank, backflip over "World Server Is Down”, and promise my firstborn’s soul to Ion I can rarely get onto a character that isn’t in Dragonflight or anywhere touched by Dragonflight like my old mage sitting in the Eternal Vale.

I have almost 2 weeks left on my time. Do you want a chargeback Blizz? This is how you get one and the ensuing permaban isn’t exactly a threat when I’m already effectively banned by your broken game.

Oh well, luckily this is a f2p game so I’m not losing money sitting here. /s

2 Likes

Use the move stuck character, click on the “stuck character service” that the bottom of the page, select a character then click “move character.”

Good luck.

That would require me to have access to the character and as I said, I have already tried using the out-of-game character mover.

1 Like

Try using a VPN proxy and see if you have any issues getting connected.

I had a weird problem like that with another game and it worked fine with a VPN so I forced my router to change IP addresses to finally fix it for good.

I missed that part, I might be blind, my apologies. Well I tried. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I’m not going to go pay for a bloody VPN. :dracthyr_no1: :dracthyr_no2:

I didn’t say pay for a VPN, but given your response I don’t think it’s a troubleshooting technique that is going to be helpful.

Find a friend that knows computers and can fix it for you.

Have you tried restarting your router?

2 Likes

Did you try loging on from a different computer? Then the flip side would be creating another WoW account and see if that works. You can play free up to level 20.

Just a way of ruling things out.

Yep

My trial accounts are also a no-go

Only one character or all?

That has a link to move the character while not in the game.

Also: try the CS forums, not tech support.

4 Likes

If you’ve tried everying else, uninstall, shut down your computer, clear your registry, and reinstall.

1 Like

Perhaps someone in Customer Support can help, blues won’t be at work til tomorrow they are most likely off of work at this time. Make the thread in the morning going into afternoon.

1 Like

Have you tred running “gpupdate /force” in command prompt? Found some thread from a few years ago and it fixed a similar issue for a few users. No idea how a group policy update could help, but maybe worth a shot?

Already in the list of things I tried.

Did reinstall, and with a proper uninstall program that removed the registry entries too.

Nope, didn’t help.

Then I suggest asking in Customer Support. If they cannot help with options, they can then give you the correct ticket path.

Get ProtonVPN (it’s free) or TunnelBear (has a trial version). See if that works. Connect to any center that is close to Chicago or to your current location.

I for one, have been experiencing lots of disconnects, and occasional lag, even when using a top-notch VPN (PIA). But for the most part it has been very stable (because of my VPN; blizzard has terrible routing from SA to NA).

To anyone that may say it’s my ISP; I’m pretty sure it’s not, since it’s the only game input lag is an issue on.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re sore the pounding Blizz gave you

I asked this in another thread, but got no answer.

Is it really OK to use a VPN to reduce lag? Would that not actually increase latency? Way I understand it, is you are connecting to blizzard, right, normally? But if you put a VPN in the way, its gotta route from your setup, to the VPN, then to blizzard, then back through the VPN, back to you.

My sysop friend agreed with me, on that.

1 Like

To my understanding, yes it is ok. It wasn’t in the past, but as of now, it is; at least from what I’ve heard from my fellow Latinos in SA.

This depends on the server you play on. In my case I play in Area-52 and by connecting through Mexico or Brazil, my pings is a stable 132ms. Though playing from, for example Moon Guard, it is around 155ms, while in… Frostmourne (OCE) it would be around 250ms. Ragnaros and Quel’Thalas gives me around 160ms each.

I would also like to add that the VPN gives me stability and it does reduce my input lag, though not by much… But it does gives me incredible stability. Before using a VPN to play WoW; instancing or zoning would increase my input lag by a lot! But not with my current VPN. It has truly made my WoW experience a lot better.