Can't keep leveling

I played mostly vanilla -> halfway through MoP and then quit. At the time I just didn’t have the time, raiding was a job not something to enjoy and I just got sick of it. I came back a couple months ago. I have developed some health problems that give me way to much free time. Combine that with current world conditions and imho overblown reaction to Covid 19 and I’ve got a whole lot of nothing to do.

I just can’t get a character past the early 90’s. I haven’t been able to figure it out till today. I do like many of the changes in the game but there are some things that I feel have ruined it. Primarily LFG / LFR tools. Maybe these when introduced started me on my dislike of the game in general and were part of why I quit.

While these 2 things make it so the casual player can do content easy they have destroyed any sense of community and or individual reputation for players. I decided to dump my old characters and level from the start. I have never once grouped with anyone more than once in lfg. I’ve been in a few guilds on a few different characters. All of them totally dead guild chat. Even the guild’s don’t do anything together unless they are doing a guild achievement. They are all in dungeons or raid finder, rarely together. I’ve even seen people who clearly have an addon that automatically sends a grats or other message on someone’s achievement. Totally disconnected from the actual social interaction.

As far as reputation goes. I have seen people treated like dirt, been treated the same way, and may have done it myself because there is zero accountability. I remember a long time ago your attitude determined how far you managed to get. Now people can be totally harsh and rude to each other with absolutely no repurcussion. You will likely never see them again, and they won’t see you so what difference does it make how you treat each other. I haven’t managed to actually talk to anyone for more than a second. So there is no social aspect anymore. It’s just gone. That was one of the great things that brought me back. I’m just not sure where to go from here.

1 Like

Finding the right guild can be a tough and sometimes long process, but once you do I assure you, there is still plenty of social interaction in the end game. But that’s the catch. Making friends at end game. At some point in the last few expansions there was a dynamic shift away from leveling being a meaningful part of the game over the content available at max level.

Especially with the bonus XP event going on right now, most people you see leveling are veteran players that are leveling alts and are in a race to get to max level. These people by and large have no interest in social interaction at lower levels because the faster they get to 120, the faster they can start participating in raids, dungeons, and pvp at 120.

In the meantime I would suggest trying to find a guild specifically labelled as social, or new and returning player friendly. The revamped guild finder tool in game has largely been a success in directing people to guilds that fit their needs, and there is also a thread in the new player forums for friendly guilds willing to take on new players. That can be found here:

Aside from all of that, if you’re just not feeling the way wow currently is, your subscription also grants you access to WoW Classic, which is currently the game as it was in 2006. It almost sounds like that might be more up your alley.

That’s all the advice I can really offer though in lieu of providing specific questions you might have for us to answer. If you do run into trouble with something please always feel free to post it up in these forums. Trolling is very minimal, and the regulars here always do our best to provide a solution for posters.

Best of luck out there!