Can't delete or create new characters

My character limit is reached and character delete isn’t working. Can character delete be fixed? Currently, I’m on the wrath of the lich king - classic game version and have had this happen on world of warcraft - classic and on live too.

Are you receiving any kind of error code or anything when you try to delete a character? Or does it time out and just keep thinking about it forever?

2 Likes

“Character deletion failed”

Can not delete if you have BoA items … Delete them or send to another alt.
Not sure about caged pets…

Do either of these apply?

If so pass lead to another member and try again and if it still happens wait the 24 hours for it to actually stick.

4 Likes

Not sure about other BoA items, but having a heirloom doesn’t seem to prevent deletion now. Just tested on a brand new class trial character who equipped an heirloom before logging out. I was able to delete them without issue.

I also tested with a character who had a caged pet in their inventory, that didn’t prevent deletion either.

I do not have “BoA items” and I also do not have “caged pets”.

Neither “of these” apply -

• Character is a guild master
  • Character is the leader of an Arena team (Wrath of the Lich King Classic only)

I know several people who have lost multiple days of game time up to this point from this issue. Can character delete can be fixed?

Have you deleted any toons lately?

I started to delete all my toons about 2 years ago… I could delete several then would not let me delete anymore till I waited out a limit timer.

2 Likes

In that case I’d try the good ol’ interface reset, give the computer a reboot and try again after relaunching the game.

Should that fail I’d consider making a ticket and see if something behind the scenes can help.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t need to delete characters to play the game. If you are deleting and creating characters so much that you are hitting the limit you are doing it way too much. It was never meant as a way to juggle the character limit, it was meant as a way to get rid of characters that you don’t want anymore.

If you feel there is a bug in the character delete system you would need to open a bug report so that QA can look into it. We haven’t seen any reports of there being an issue here on the CS Forums and that would usually be something that would create a good deal of threads here.

4 Likes

You may well be onto something here. I didn’t even realize there was a timer on those - but it makes sense.

As far as I am aware - nothing wrong with the system itself.

4 Likes

I’ve seen 11 threads asking if character delete/create can be fixed recently, not including mine, and all were “Customer Support deleted” but I followed up with all 11 of them and not one subscriber had their delete/create character issue fixed while 10/11 of them had posted on the bug tracker over a month prior. I’ve made a report about this on the bug tracker multiple times over the last several years and seen this reported and “GM deleted” 364 times in the last year alone.

I’m going to go on a limb and assume there’s no grand conspiracy to keep your issue under wraps. In all honesty this is the first I’ve heard of this particular issue.

As mentioned if clearing the interface folder doesn’t help try filing a ticket under ‘account issue’ and trying that. Outside of that as others mentioned there may be a timer. Seeing how you’re at the absolute cap you may need to wait in between deletions or deletion attempts.

If I may ask why do you need another new character? Surely one of the other 49 can fulfill your needs.

3 Likes

59 in Retail.

5 Likes

I don’t know what “Customer Support deleted” or “GM deleted” means but GM’s don’t deleted forum posts, they don’t moderate the forums at all. And I’ve never (and I’ve been posting on the CS Forums since almost right after it was created) seen anything that said a forum had been deleted (by Customer Support or otherwise) the thread either disappears or goes to a 404 link.

It sounds like you are trying to say there is some kind of huge conspiracy that Blizzard is trying to cover up some weird issue with character deletion. You never answered the question though about how often or how many characters you are deleting. As stated earlier there are timers in place, since the delete function isn’t supposed to be used all that often. It is there as a way to get rid of the occasional character that isn’t being used anymore. If you are running into issues where you are constantly having to delete and recreate new characters then that would seem to be an issue with how you are wanting to play the game and currently isn’t something that would really be supported.

As the Blue stated there are currently no know issues with the character deletion system.

5 Likes

i was joining 7 other players for leveling and raiding on every class. 5 play on different servers