Can't access chat channels

Before the most recent patch, update, whatever they are calling it, accessing the various chat channels was as easy as typing /1, /2, or /3. Now when I do it I get the message ‘type /help for a listing of a few commands’

What gives and why is there always a series of bugs and increased difficulties in playing this game whenever they update and ESPECIALLY when they plan a new expansion (ALL MY horde CHARACTERS, as well as the companion realm they were on, on a different server realm, have vanished.)

Have you tried the command /resetchat for the chat issues.

3 Likes

I’d recommend some troubleshooting, Velonna. resetting your chat using the command Ravenhawk provided is one option. This article lists some others:

2 Likes

Thank you both for those suggestions, but neither of them worked.

I really hope the /resetchat ONLY reset my current characters chat and not every single other characters chat as well.

Chat HAD worked up until yesterday, but now it doesn’t and when i go into settings>channels all chats are listed and checked but also grayed out for some reason?
Why would this be?

This is a brand new character and when i started i opened the chat setting and found them like that and assumed maybe you had to be a certain level now to chat (even if that seems “ridiculous” its no more ridiculous as the way things change here, almost daily in some cases; ie. hp, stats, recipes, AH tax on various goods, etc.).

So should I just go into my WoW folder and delete the cache? That used to be a fix, once upon a time.

ALSO, just fyi, I don’t use add-ons. NEVER have and I don’t foresee any time in the future that I would, but you know how that goes. So, there should not be any issue relating to add-ons, past or present, factored into the potential cause of this.

In case it wasn’t made clear, resetting the chat did not change what takes place as described in my initial post.

You don’t have to use addons to have a UI related issue… Files sometimes become corrupted. A UI reset is a way to eliminate that as a possible cause.

3 Likes

Thank you.

I actually was just reading up on that part that connected to the previous link/article/suggestion and probably have to hold off on trying it until after dinner.

I will return and post the results though.
Tonight for certain.

Try typing:
/join General
/join Trade (must be in a friendly city)
/join LocalDefense

in case you were somehow booted out of those chat channels.

1 Like

Thank you, but it did suggest that as well in the link provided earlier. I type each just EXACTLY the way you did and the result was unchanged. Although I didn’t get the ‘type / help…etc.’ command after i did it.

Do you have Parental Controls enabled?

Lol. No.
I’m an adult who plays and no kids in the house, but thanks for helping me check off that box (BTW, the ‘Mature Language Filter’ box remains UNCHECKED).

I’m an adult too, but I used it when RealID first came out. There are other uses for Parental Controls. We’ve seen a case on the forums where Parental Controls was enabled and blocked chat.

I find the filtering more offensive than the language it replaces.

So, apparently I’ve done this already (previously, at some unknown date long before posting here; properties state the date as April 30, 2016) as I already have two folders called " InterfaceOld & WTFOld" along with the regular WTF & Interface folders.
What do I do with those, before changing the unchanged folders to those names? Do they get deleted? Should I try to just delete the cache?

One thing of note which I really don’t know has any relevancy, or not; I usually only play horde for a few years now and only went to my original alliance realm because those two connecting realms, for my horde toons, were down all day at the onset of all this.
So I went back to my Alliance realm where I had characters, DID NOT open any of the previously made ones, created this one and encountered the problem stated above.

Then yesterday I opened up the first original main character I ever made, that exists on this same realm, and it DID NOT have the problem (typed /1 and general chat opened, no probs.) SO THEN, I tried it again with the next alt I’d made after that one and the problem was the same as before.

I haven’t tried every single character yet on this realm, or any on the other realm(s), but as I write this I think that’s what I am going to do. Along with deleting the cache. At least for now.

Yes. You’ve been using the new ones since you renamed them that unknown time ago.

You can try that first. For some issues that’s all that is needed.

You can go through the WTF folder and delete the folder for each character one by one to see if it resolves, it’s just faster to rename the folders (cache, interface, WTF).

You can delete the folders that you may have previously renamed with “old”. Those are no longer used once you log in for the first time, but that option allows you to revert to the previous set up if needed. Odds are those are pretty old now and out of date.

You mentioned you had a character that seemed to not have an issue but others were. Can you give me some character names for reference? I’d like to check those out if I could to see if I experience the same thing. Maybe figure out what is going on.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread.

In the end I just deleted the cache (the cache only) and it does appear to have resolved the problem for at least 4 characters on this realm, that I’ve checked so far.

Though I still haven’t had a chance to see if that applies to the other realm (primarily all horde characters, but for two) and its respective connected realm. I will update once I get a chance to check it.

Just want to touch on this if its a corrupted UI deleting 1/3 important forlders wont fix the over all issue gota delete all 3.

Yeah, I’m probably not going to delete all 3 until I see evidence that I might need to. I’m not interested in going through the arduous task of resetting all my UI ans other game performance etc (font size, distance, camera angles).

So, I’ll definitely be updating this once I have the time to check everyone else.
Thanks for your input though.

1 Like

Thats teh funny thing about a corrupted UI it can affect many toons a single toon honestly you dont even have to delete the folders just either rename or take outa the wow folder altogether.