"Cancel Culture" is not real. Its literally just the free market working like its supposed too

No one forced Hasbro to change their Potato Head brand. No one forced the Dr. Suess publisher to stop publishing certain books. No one forced Gina Carano to repeatedly ignore Disneys warnings over her social media account.

Funny how those that claim to love the free market are so outraged by it.

9 Likes

Harassing people and getting them fired or ousted from society due to subjective normative standards is ‘cancel culture.’ Due to terms notoriety and fitting definition to explain a phenomenon in the ongoing culture wars, the term has broadened to refer to other aspects of coercive societal change.

The examples you used are just a broadening of the term. I reject your arguments because there is a clear defined independent value influencing the dependent values you point out. Private business is as much of an avenue for coercion and forum as it is elsewhere.

Pro free market people have always been wrong on the topic because they ignored the possibility of corporate censorship (i.e. its ok to ban books and speech when we do it etc.).

12 Likes

People who whine about “Cancel Culture” are people who are accustomed to being able to say absolutely anything, and are shocked to discover that nobody’s actually obligated to put up with their BS. They are people who are, for the first time in their lives, having to face consequences for their speech and are outraged because consequences are supposed to be for other people, not for them.

16 Likes

Freedom of speech is being squashed one book at a time… There is no ‘free’ speech someone is going to be offended and you either need to apologize or deal with consequences…

IF a group of people don’t like you, you are done. It’s that simple. we are supposed to be able to stand up for ourselves but friends and co-workers will just abandon you without even a passing glance.

I see books (recently Dr. Seuss) getting frowns… Disney OLD Disney movies with disclaimer and cartoon (that were NEVER intended for kids in the first place) getting blocked because they smoke, drink or make too many adult references.

It’s not cancel culture I am worried about it’s overly sensitive zealots that pretend everything bothers them… can’t argue can’t ignore… it’s better to not engage at all… we are all silently being censored…

A few years ago there was a guy who wrote a book about some social experiment and could not find anyone to side with him. Amazon banned his books… saying they were ‘hurtful and conveyed hate’… and YET you can buy Mein Kampf at ANY bookstore today. And it doesn’t offend an entire culture of jewish anywhere…nah.

Yeah so some guy who wants to exercise free speech gets banned but literally one of the most controversial books in history is OK?!?!? Whatever. What Mein Kampf is a classic?!

-Mein Kampf is a 1925 autobiographical manifesto by ~N~ Party leader Adolf Hitler. The work describes the process by which Hitler became antisemitic and outlines his political ideology and future plans for Germany. Volume 1 of Mein Kampf was published in 1925 and Volume 2 in 1926. The book was edited first by Emil Maurice, then by Hitler’s deputy Rudolf Hess.-

4 Likes

Stopped reading right here. Come back when you learn what Freedom of Speech actually means.

7 Likes

Freedom of speech, in a nutshell, basically means that a person cannot be actively punished by the government (ie thrown in jail) for something they have said. It does not mean that a private entity has to subsidize something that they do not agree with, nor does it mean that the public can be forced to consume something they don’t agree with. So a book publisher, to use a recent example, is absolutely free to stop publishing any book they wish, for any reason they wish. I personally do not agree with most such decisions but I recognize the right of a private company to make these decisions. By the same token, I am free to no longer give that company my money in the future if I choose.

I have very strong concerns about “cancel culture” in general. But cancel culture issues and free speech issues are two different things.

4 Likes

It’s cancel culture. If they don’t caved to the woke mob on Twitter, they will be cancel. So they will change gender, book burning or fired a popular celebrity to gain their support business. The woke mob are nothing but bunch of activists that wants to permanently change America’s culture forever because they just hate America.

5 Likes

You’re not even describing the issue correctly,

1 Like

Funny enough The Simpsons made an episode all about Cancel Culture way back in the day.

That episode where Homer grabbed that candy statue that was sticked on the “lower back” of the Babysitter, which gets him in a lot of trouble after being wrongfully accused of s**** harassment, and the mob and media start making up lies and twisting the true to make him look even worse.

Hell i even remember one scene of one of the person of the mod afraid about Homer despite not knowing him in the slightest or meeting him and crying at the mere though, and the woman doing the interview going as far as to say that “Your tears say more than real evidence ever could”

Even the Babysitter after seeing her error doesnt even apologizes to Homer after basically trying to ruin his life over a misunderstanding.

Which describes a lot about how the Cancel Culture works, demonize the target, make up lies about him, twist the truth, harass them and anyone that defends them, etc.

5 Likes

Although the USA dresses in diversity, racist remain there is nothing more than seeing the same face of the other coin From what they themselves criticize and hate about what was more than 30 or 50 years ago in the entertainment world, it only becomes the same in a different way…

Apu from the Simpsons, Pee Pee le Pew, Gina Garano, James Gunn, Henry Canvil, the classic books from Dr. Seuss and some Tarantino movies, did not become victims of the supremasist repression of the SJW, BLM, ANTIFA, and everything that comes from the Puritans that come with the content of political agendas, PC and inclusive message that does not help the world and the USA to establish as a diverse and bureaucratic country where no one is afraid to express freely no matter what they say, what is really the true free will.

Every day I see the worst in images in character color change that even so, no matter who you are, you were already identified as he/she is and that his story was developing without any problem.

Just to further support the black community only in the USA, a from new examples is new reboot Superman from J.J. Adams would have been better if he had the Mile Morales formula while there is still only one Peter Parker (except Tom Holland’s millenian that’s sucks) But in DC there was a Black superman in an alternate universe by another name. Calvin Ellis from an alternate universe and Steel was the only black Supermens wearing the S, and in fact he was better than Clark Kent himself.

I don’t know why it was necessary to reboot the man of steel when Henry Canvil is already loved by all? It would have been even better to see 2 supermen in an epic moment like the animated movie Spiderman: spiderverse, not to kill the classic Clark Kent for the inclusive community for a minority that is not the indicated one that in the end was always for the toxic fan of the SJW .

And that is not because of being super-prudent but in Hollywood rules we must never ignore it, and we do not know what will happen to the new actor and the same pseudo idiot director of J.J. Abrams is affected by the curse of Superman as it was in all the movies including Snyder version sadly to date.

1 Like

pepe le pew is now cancel

1 Like

Yeah heard about how he promoted r*** culture and it was bloody stupid…

1 Like

They going after JK rowling, our founding fathers and anyone who speak out against them.

1 Like

Meh, the simpsons were never funny.

Their humor is for people stuck at the 90s.

1 Like

They were hilarious and awesome… in the 90s.

South Park did an episode about this.

Did you read the user agreement? You signed a contract agreeing to a private entities rules. (We’re talking about websites here).

Every forums/stuff on the internet i have ever signed up for have had me agree to their Terms of Service.

Also: it’s gonna be alright. Just means we only have to buy 1 Potato Head. It’s not some plot to get you two buy 2 Potato Heads.

Also, the Suess estate are the ones that made the call on 6 books.

I promise: it’s going to be all right.

I’d state my husband’s joke, but THAT would get me banned for a bit on the WoW forums.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8sdM1Btc4

every law has its loophole

That’s no problem about that, almost all forums have that agreement, in fact all video games or any software system.

Simple: it does not accept the agreement, it does not install the program, that is since the autorun was created in the O.S. like Windows 95

But the most important thing is how it affects the culture of today in a supremacy in which in ancient times it was compared with the inquisition without so much violence in which it is about liquidating people who are not in their opinion.

The social networks approve of them and I would do anything to keep my mouth shut for the minority’s liking, it doesn’t matter that I don’t know what? What is the reason that an authority is so afraid of a community that they can direct it themselves?

Cat in Hat will be cancel eventually, I see that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry is going after the Royal family because they aren’t woke. I do truly believe that the left wing zealous will go after Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn because in book because they called Black Americans the “N” word.

1 Like

Mark Twain’s anti-slavery satire The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Was published in 1884 and First banned in 1885 (Concord, Massachusetts).

A 1907 article in the Library Journal reported that Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn had been banned somewhere every year since its publication.

Resent challenges:

2001 – Challenged in both the Enid Oklahoma and Kankakee schools, in the end not banned in either case.

2003 - Challenged in Portland, Oregon schools by an African-American student offended by an ethnic slur.

2004 – 2005 Challenged in the Normal, Illinois Community High School sophomore literature class, degrading to African Americans.

Pulled from the reading lists of the three Renton, Washington high schools after an African American student said the book degraded her and her culture.

2007 - Pulled from classes in Taylor, Michigan schools because of complaints about its liberal use of common racial slurs.

Challenged as required reading at Cactus High in Peoria, Arizona.

Challenged in the Lakeville, Minnesota as required reading for sophomores.

2008 - Challenged but retained in the Lakeville, Minnesota High School and the St. Louis Park High School in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Challenged at Richland High School in North Richland Hills, Texas because of racial epithets.

Challenged at the Manchester, Connecticut High School “because the ‘N’ word is used in the book 212 times.”

2009 – Manchester, Connecticut School District required that teachers attend seminars on how to deal with issues of race before teaching the book in their classrooms.

2016 - Removed from the Montgomery County, Pennsylvania school curriculum after a group of students said the book’s use of the N-word made them uncomfortable and the students thought the school was not being inclusive.

2017 - Accomack County, Virginia Public Schools. A parent objected to racial slurs in the book, it was temporarily removed on November 29, 2016, the book was reinstated on December 6, 2016 by the school board.

2018 – Lawrence, Kansas High School, Challenged as an 11th-grade English class required reading assignment. Despite claims from the school district that the book is not banned, the book was removed from required reading in the curriculum, to be use only as a common novel for high school American Literature classes.

2019 - Citing the use of racial slurs in the books, Duluth, Minnesota school district administrators removed both Huckleberry Fin and To Kill a Mockingbird from the curriculum “to protect the dignity of our students”. The titles remain in the school library and are still optional reading for students.

2020 - During a virtual meeting on September 9th middle and high school English teachers in Burbank , California were told that, until further notice, they would not be allowed to teach five novels that had been challenged:
Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Mark Twain’s “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men,” Theodore Taylor’s “The Cay” and Mildred D. Taylor’s Newbery Medal-winning young-adult classic “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.”

This generation is full of wussies if you ask me.

4 Likes