Canadian Spelling

…and that makes a lot of sense. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s not a valid argument because I could say that “color” doesn’t rhyme with “decor” so it should be spelt “colour”.

English is not a phonetic language. “Though”, “through” and “tough” all end in “ough” and are pronounced differently.

3 Likes

And yet they didn’t do the same for S and C, the perfect example being right there ‘simplicity’. Both the s and c are being used for the same sound. I wonder why they decided to simplify one and not the other? Hell, I don’t know why c even exists it is used for two completely different sounds, both of which already have other letters associated with them.

1 Like

Be that as it may, these were the stated reasons behind Webster’s choices, and he didn’t make them in a vacuum or unilaterally.

They were put into place 200 years ago and have become the standard for spelling the United States. One can argue that he was wrong in those reasons or decisions, but they ARE the reasons for the differences.

5 Likes

That’s fair. Doesn’t mean his reasons make sense though, lol. Maybe they made more sense back then.

3 Likes

I think they display a very piece-by-piece approach to his work.

He made decisions for groupings rather than the language as a whole. I find these oddities interesting from a historical perspective.

5 Likes

I’m American, but I interchange gray and grey.

4 Likes

I’m American, as well, but I’ve spent huge chunks of my adulthood living abroad and part of that time was in Europe. I interchange a lot of words and spellings. I try to stick to the US standards, but I forget from habit a lot.

In the case of “gray” vs. “grey,” I learned to spell it with the E from early childhood, so I still spell it that way. In rural Arkansas in the 1980’s, Mrs. Edjin taught her 1st grade class to spell it with an e…and so we did. ha ha ha

1 Like

Somewhere, probably from playing online games on Vent/TS, I picked up habits like saying, “eh?” and “aye” but not consistently

1 Like

Unfortunately, OP, Actiblizz is an American company, and Canada has to play on the US client, so I’m afraid you’re going to have to put up with our silly American misspellings. Sorry about that, from a Yank who tries hard not to misspell anything.

Does anyone know if the Brits have to as well, or do they get their proper spellings on the European/UK client?

It’s not Canadian spelling.

It’s Every English speaking place on earth except America spelling.

7 Likes

No, decor should be decorps. Colour is dumb. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s very true, lol.

So which one is dumb then? Floor or poor? They’re spelt the same but they don’t rhyme. Should floor be spelt flor? If that’s the case, then color would have to rhyme with flor, which means that colour would be the correct spelling :upside_down_face:

Even without doing all that, color and ichor don’t rhyme. How do you fix that one?

Floor and poor do ryhme in American English so they are fine. Ichor needs to be icorps tho.

1 Like

No they don’t? Pronunciation from an American dictionary:

floor -> flôr
poor -> po͝or

It’s two completely different sounds. If you think they sound the same, you’re pronouncing one of them wrong.

looks like we still have some work to do.

1 Like

From merriam-webster:

poor - pȯr, pu̇r
floor - flȯr

Floor and poor do rhyme when pronounced correctly in American English, though poor does have an alternate accepted pronunciation.

1 Like

Well, if you take native English speakers, there are more than twice as many in the United States than there are in the rest of the world, combined.

2 Likes

Doesn’t make them right.

2 Likes

Must be a regional thing then because I’ve never heard any of my American friends pronounce “poor” in a way that rhymes with “floor”. Poor rhymes with “velours” when pronounced correctly, to use your words.

Also, you’re being disingenuous because the pu̇r spelling is literally listed first: