Canadian Spelling

Because it’s the Queen’s English and that is how she spells it you heathen.

2 Likes

The self realisation in that vid was priceless. Good vid, 10/10.

5 Likes

Oh, Canada!
Our stolen Native lands!
U’s that we love
Do all our wourds expaund!

2 Likes

Even though both forms of the spelling are correct.

Well, I’m from England so I speak English-English.

By all means fight it out.

4 Likes

I’d trade the whole tim hortons company for an invincible’s rein

The state of Timmy’s these days, I don’t think that would be enough for Invincible.

That was the joke.

1 Like

What about the letter S? It’s realise, not realize, damn it.

1 Like

Want some fun with this…work for the government.

I am murican. But a long history of being an anglophile. BBC comedies, British authors…always first choices for me.

So there I am spelling defence in mails and such. You are spelling wrong. No…I am not. Your word app needs to get a better English dictionary.

And armour.

3 Likes

That’s not how it’s spelled on Azeroth. Because Azeroth isn’t Canada. It’s obvious that Azeroth is America. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

There’s a flag on the moon that says it’s spelled without the extra “u”. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

No, we don’t want Blue Light Specials taking over Azeroth.

2 Likes

On a more serious note, British and American spellings are different in some cases, sure, but neither is wrong. Both spellings of various words were both accepted as the language developed. Then, when people wanted to formalize the spellings, creating the various dictionaries still used today (of course with modern versions), they chose the spellings that they liked the most and made that the official spelling for their country.

I’m just a little surprised to think that the British would intentionally choose the more French spellings…

1 Like

Americans walking right into jokes like they got the free healthcare to pay for it.

6 Likes

Color and honor do not ryhme with flour.

1 Like

All this talk about ‘U’, I just want to know where the ‘F’ went in Lieutenant.

1 Like

The divergence took place at the turn of the 19th century when Noah Webster was working on his dictionary. The “u” was removed as superfluous to pronunciation and out of a prejudice against the French influence that was leading the British to finalize their own spellings with the “u” in place.

Up to this point, spelling was not terribly particular or standardized, and there were many variants that enjoyed popularity in both nations prior to the big Webster vs. OED divergence.

Webster introduced the convention of dropping silent U’s to differentiate “ou” in words like sour and dour from words like colour and honour.

It wasn’t the middle finger to Great Britain that people today like to fancy that it was. It was far more practical, and if anything, it was more an attempt to de-franc-ify American English than to de-anglo-fy American English. It was also just done for simplicity’s sake.

This is precisely why it was done.

This convention was put into place in American English at exactly the same time and for the same reasons. “Ize” replaced “ise” in many words, and the reason for it is that Z and S don’t make the same sound. It was done for clarity and simplicity. Simple as that.

Ask an English-as-a-second-language speaker which convention for spelling makes it easier to learn the language.

The United States has ALWAYS had a wide array of people from other language groups moving here and learning to speak and read English. American English had its spelling conventions standardized with that in mind.

8 Likes

As someone whose first language is French, the Canadian/UK spellings make a lot more sense.

1 Like

Canadian Language? Brother, are you saying the AMERICAN Language isn’t PERFECT?

Damn commie. :sunglasses:

1 Like