Can you play on two different accounts under your battle.net account at the same time?

This may be true,

but you even agree that having multiple subscriptions on one account can happen. Which is all I was pointing out.

You can, but you can’t share with another adult, which is all the op wanted to know.

7 Likes

Kid, adult, how do you know who is playing the 2nd subscription?
In Orlyia’s post, they are saying playing on 2 computers is viable and “ok”. The link post is for a child, and that’s approved?

It’s in the rules we agree to. And if someone tries to slide by, then get caught? Then there is all sorts of upset and tantrums when the account gets sanctioned. Or better yet, when accounts get hacked and it comes time to verify account ownership. That’s always fun.

Don’t share accounts outside of the granted guardian/parent and minor child. Period.

5 Likes

10 required

8 Likes

Honestly, I don’t recommend even sharing with a minor child. Because inevitably they will need their own account eventually, and they will lose anything they earned on the parent’s account. Even for a minor child I’d recommend setting up their own bnet (even if it means having it in the parent’s name due to age at first).

6 Likes

Back in Vanilla my youngest son wanted to play wow like his Dad and sibling when he was considered a minor and unsure of his interest would be I was allowed to let him create a toon on my account. Only one of us could play at a time and I soon found out how amazing a game player he was and when he could opened his own account (under parental control )
Since his degree is a developer for a world wide major game development company so yea I guess it was the right thing to do.

Oh and for the OP , He was recently joined by his wife with her own account and they made new toons together and they are loving it !

5 Likes

Eh… maybe, maybe not.

When I split my account with my kid, we were both surprised at what copied over, even though I was the one that earned it.

Amani War Bear, the five CM mounts, all the TCG mounts, all the RAF mounts had I earned up to that point, and all the raid drop and store mounts I had again, earned up to that point.

But a lot of the transmog stuff didn’t copy, like the CM transmog armor set and weapons.

So I wouldn’t say they would lose everything but you’re gambling on what you get to keep so yeah probably better to just to make their own account.

I should note that over the years, due primarily to the complications of account security, we no longer split accounts. If a minor that you are the parent or legal guardian of plays on your account, which they are still allowed to do, you would need to use a character service to move any character to their own account (assuming you share a last name).

It is usually best now to either create an account in their name if they are over 13 but under 18 (with parental controls), or if they are under 13, create the account in your name which can be updated when they are of age.

10 Likes

So, about the terms in the updated EULA. How does that impact the advice we have been giving parents/new players?

You must be and hereby affirm that you are an adult of the legal age of majority in your country and state of residence. If you are under the legal age of majority, your parent or legal guardian must consent to this Agreement. By installing or using Blizzard’s online gaming platform, you represent that your parent or legal guardian consents to this Agreement.

But then the big change - children under 13 are not allowed to use the platform at all. Not even with parental permission.

Children under 13 may not utilize an Account, the Platform, nor enter into this Agreement even with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Account users 13 or older but under 18 or the age of majority where they live (a “Child”) must review this Agreement and the Privacy Policy together with your parent or guardian.

Based on the updated EULA nobody should be playing on an account that is not in their name, because under 13 can’t use the platform at all, and over 13 can have it in their name with parental controls set up.

Am I just reading that wrong? It would not be the first time.

2 Likes

As far as I am aware the “Child”, being under 13, cannot enter into the agreement, even with the consent of their parent or legal guardian, meaning they cannot be listed on the account. Nothing, as far as I am aware, has changed. Those under 13 cannot accept terms, etc… even with consent, so the parent must be on the account instead.

5 Likes

Yeah, this follows into what I said earlier where if someone’s child wants to play, while they are allowed to use the parent’s account, it’s not in their best interests to do so, as they will not be able to keep anything they earn that’s battle.net account bound when the character is eventually transferred. It’s best to start a new battle.net account.

That is not how I read it to be honest.

Children under 13 may not utilize an Account, the Platform, nor enter into this Agreement even with the consent of a parent or legal guardian.

This line has use of the account and the platform as separate from entering into the Agreement. Or at least that is how I read it.

To me that means under 13 can not do three different (although related) things. As in they can not use an account, nor can they use the Platform, nor can they enter into the Agreement even with parental permission.

Based on the updated EULA, under 13 can’t be on an account at all, and over 13 needs to be on their own account in their name with parental controls.

It basically eliminates account sharing. They got rid of the line about letting a minor use a parent’s account. It instead makes the parent responsible for the Minor’s account.

1 Like

Under that interpretation that would mean that no one under 13 could play our games… which seems a little silly for a gaming company.

3 Likes

Well, that is what the EULA now says…and I do think that is intentional.

It basically eliminates account sharing. They got rid of the line about letting a minor use a parent’s account. It instead makes the parent responsible for the Minor’s account.

Account users 13 or older but under 18 or the age of majority where they live (a “Child”) must review this Agreement and the Privacy Policy together with your parent or guardian. If you are the parent or legal guardian of an Account user who is a Child, you also agree to be bound by this Agreement on the Child’s behalf. In the event that you permit your Child to use an Account or the Platform (including any Game), you hereby agree to this Agreement on behalf of yourself and your Child, and you understand and agree that you will be responsible for all uses of the Account or the Platform by your Child whether or not any particular use was authorized by you. Parents/guardians are jointly and severally liable for all acts and omissions of their Child for all uses of the Account and Platform.

It also means they can very strictly enforce the no account sharing policy now and that the Support article needs to be updated.

Anyway, food for thought! I am off to feed the felines their food too :slight_smile:

4 Likes