Can you max out WoW's graphics settings & get 60+ FPS?

It’s fine if you disagree. I was just looking at the landscapes last night thought to myself “man this looks pretty awesome”. I’m not talking about graphics like say Red Dead or something like that. WoW uses a completely different style of graphics but the detail and color makes the game look amazoing imo…bump it up to 1440 and it’s that much more impressive. FFXIV looks good as well but it’s really a very different style of graphics…

5 Likes

I run custom settings because I don’t like the way some things look on max, but all the important stuff to me is maxed. I do get usually 100+ fps and probably 50-60+ in heavier areas, but my PC is sort of outdated now. (GTX960, i7-6700K) If I purposely max settings it would probably drop down some.

Since all I play on it is WoW really, I probably won’t need to upgrade for several more years still.

Nice setup :blush:

I bet the 3 monitor display is cool for adding perpherial vision to shooters. I was thinking about doing that but I wanted to use floating arms instead of the base mounts the monitors come with to keep them off the desk for more space and a cleaner look.

I can get 100fps at max settings…while standing still zoomed in looking at my feet.

2 Likes

Maxed out everything is a whole new game.

I remember I played for years with limited view distance, than I got a good computer and realized how much of a disadvantage I was at lol

4 Likes

I’m running a 280x and I get 99fps on mid settings. According to my hubby, it can go to max, but I’m scared it will blow up. It already sounds like an Apache helicopter as it is when things get crazy in game.

You’re right, WoW is a very pretty game.

1 Like

My current pc is when I stepped up to 1440p 144hz and I could not be happier. In Boralus I get maybe 70-85 fps, but out and about it’s usually a capped 142. I play on a mix of settings, but would basically be somewhere between 7-8.

I7 6700k
EVGA 2080 XC (non ultra)
16 gig RAM

For the heck of it i did a comparison with my iMac at 5K native resolution (100% render scale). i9 9900k and a stock RX 580x graphics card. Wow looked absolutely stunning on max settings, but for obvious reason the graphics card didn’t come close to 60 FPS (it’s a 60hz panel)

However nice the game can look at higher resolutions, I would rather have 100+ fps on a variable refresh rate monitor. After 1 or 2 more GPU generations we will be able to do 4k 100 fps at decent settings on a non xx80 Ti card.

WoW looks nice compared to how it looked in the past but it still looks like crap compared to modern games that are using engines made in the last decade. I have a 7700+GTX 1080 but i get higher FPS on Witcher 3 than i do on WoW, Witcher 3 btw is actually a beautiful game.

I know it’ll probably never happen but WoW could really use an upgrade, it’s hard to attract new people to the game when they fire the game up and the character creation and starter areas look like something from a Playstation 3.

1 Like

Could not disagree more.
Personally I like the cartoon style of the game.
Interesting you’re not getting higher frame rate.

3 Likes

I play on a haunted toaster… what’s a frame rate?

3 Likes

I still think WoW looks pretty.

I don’t think I would like every game looking realistic. And certain games have certain styles I would instantly recognize.

And ‘art styles’ age better.

2 Likes

Can run max settings but I’d hesitate to say it’s particularly impressive. It’s more of a “looks less old now”.

I dislike the current trend of dense locales with camera issues and confusing paths. Miss the old spread out areas that made the ‘world’ feel huge.

4 Likes

as long as your CPU has the chops maxing out wow’s settings isn’t that hard. most moder(ie less than three years old) graphics cards can do it. the bottleneck is the cpu handing off draw calls, so any of the latest intel or amd chips can pull it off.

1 Like

I honestly couldn’t count how many times i adjust my camera position every day because the view gets caught up in something, feels like it’s something that changed when WoD hit, prior to that expansion interiors were bigger, terrain wasn’t designed to waste your time and they seemed to take more care about what the camera can and can’t have collision with.

1 Like

My PC is wildly overkill for basically everything, but it’s my 34" 1440p 144hz ultrawide monitor that changed the game for me.

So long as WoW is mostly a single core process, it’s not likely to stay over 60 in raids with full spell effects, boss mechanics and weak auras going off.

wow is multi-threaded now. i’m not sure how many cores it can take advantage of, but it’s at least four if i recall. spell effects and stuff like animated weakauras would be part of the GPU side of the load.

Im running a i9900k 2080 super 16gb ram 1tb SDD and im on ultra settings in 4k and i average anywhere from 50-100 depending on where and what im doing. it’s weird

Not since they took away full screen

I upgraded from my 8 year old PC ( i7-3820 (4 cores), 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 1080p monitor) to a new one a couple months ago: i9-9900KS, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080ti and a 1440p monitor. Went from 30-60 FPS at a 7 setting on the old PC to max settings and buttery smooth FPS on the new one. Not to mention I can play other more demanding games on this new PC. It’s kinda nice.