Can you max out WoW's graphics settings & get 60+ FPS?

When I say max out I mean the all the sliders as well like draw distance and all that stuff.

I have to tell you, I can and @ 1440p maxed out at 60+fps WoW is a stunningly beautiful game.

Made me wonder just how many people who play it get the experience the way it’s meant to be played.

3 Likes

Not me. My computer is over 7 years old. Needs upgrading sometime this year.

*ps: I’ve since upgraded it. Game still runs with freezes as of 25 Feb 2020.

2 Likes

After taxes come in I’ll be able to. Right now the best I can muster 60 fps is about 5 on the main slider. (at 1080p)

This old relic of a game isn’t optimized for current hardware.

13 Likes

My new card works way too hard to run wow and it makes no sense. Gets hot like I’ve got a 4k game playing. Keeping it at medium graphics and limiting the frams to 60 on the advanced tab keeps it running smooth.

8 Likes

I can get sort-of close, but there is a definite threshold where the performance hit is very obvious, mainly due to either view distance and/or shadows.

Yes and it doesn’t look that impressive. Your claim is very overrated for what it looks like.

6 Likes

Game is a bit too foggy, tbh, even on max settings.

1 Like

I can, I run a 1440p 144hz predator monitor with gsync. The game is noticeably a lot more rich with full graphics on. However the game still doesn’t utilize hardware as good as it should, especially in heavy populated world areas like world bosses and world PvP (Nazjatar battle, etc).

The difference between my old PC (i7-2600k with SLI GTX 970’s) and my new PC (i9-9900k with RTX 2080) on the same monitor is minimal however. I saw maybe a 10fps increase in game with fully maxed sliders with a new build totalling ~$3500. It makes a difference but hardly worth the money if WoW is the only game you play.

11 Likes

Fair enough. I don’t agree but whatever. I play a 50" 4k TV at 1440p and I think it’s nice looking…especially at higher resolution than 1080p.

If your still using a 1080p monitor with 60hz you won’t notice a difference. Get to 1440p-4K with 100-144hz and the game is noticeably nicer and smoother if your hardware can push the frames.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Resolution 3440 x 1440 non-gsynch monitor.
I generally get 65-100+ fps

Yup! Everything is set on Ultra and max for me and I’m at 93 fps— so long as I’m not in Boralus. lol

1 Like

I don’t think so.

Even a RTX 2080 TI will beg you for mercy the moment you step into a dense area of players.

5 Likes

What’s your monitor’s hz? Hz = maximum viewable FPS. So if you are running a 60hz monitor you get minimal benefit from having good hardware since your viewable FPS is still locked at 60 by the monitor, regardless of what your graphics card is pushing out.

Also gsync. Highly recommended.

1 Like

That’s why I use reshade(dot)me. I can’t STAND that foggy haze, AdaptiveSharpen removes it completely ^-^

While true, a higher FPS will result in a smoother display and input, more frames for the monitor to pick from, regardless of your monitor’s hz.

It smooths the input/output and makes sure you are maximizing frames sure, but it doesn’t increase the amount of frames seen.

While higher then 60fps on a 60hz monitor is good, a 100hz+ with the same 60-100fps is still vastly superior.

I have my predator 1440p and BenQ 1080p monitor’s side by side on a mount. Playing any game with the same hardware is so noticeable I would never game on a 1080p-60hz again. Not without a significant loss of clarity / smoothness.

Just got a new system myself.

2080 SUPER
32g Ram
1TB SSD
9900 processor

(3) 1440p Monitors…and I run the outside ones at 60hz. The main monitor is the center one and the one I run WoW on.

The game is so nice in 1440… I ran triple 1080s on my old 780Ti and it was nice…but nothing like 1440…huge difference.

I don’t run all maxed settings on my new setup…don’t seem to need it.

Imagine getting 4k and being amazing by WoW, an outdated MMO, when there’s games that are designed around and should be for 4k. I’m not hating on WoW but just being real, it’s really not that impressive. FF14 looks great off the back. Add some Gshade and the game looks even better. Same goes for WoW with using ReShade and the game looks better.

Still, this game and being amazed by how it looks? Maybe for the time we’re in but the game is everything short of breathtaking or fantastic looking in terms of graphics set to maximum. I just think the claim is overrated, given the current environment and day we’re in.

1 Like