Can we un-simplify stats a bit?

WoW has moved far too close to Diablo 3 style stats, where everything is just scaling off your main stat, and you basically just have secondary stats to fill things out.

If we’re doing a level squish, and a return to form level 60 thing, that’s probably also going to include a stat re-work, as well as gear rearranging, and the promised “Class unprunings”

Honestly, I think part of the reason why gear’s so boring these days is because there’s nothing to them.

It’s just, whatever has the better secondary stats for your class, whatever has the highest main stat, and compare.

Only things that really have any changes are trinkets, and alot of those are also just flat stats these days it feels like. (There are some that aren’t, but still)

If we’re unpruning abilities, squishing and revamping equipment and stats to fit the level 60 stuff, we should also make stats matter again I say.

29 Likes

Which stats specifically are you wanting to come back?

The majority of the ones we are missing didn’t really add anything to the game aside from a bit of tedium in maintaining them (thinking about hit rating/expertise for example.)

In most of the more complex rpgs I play that sort of thing is (mostly) passively obtained through leveling with a few exceptional items that modify it.

7 Likes

I’d personally like Intelligence to bolster mana again, more spell casts would be nice. I still am not a fan of what they did with mana cataclysm onwards.

Spell damage / Spell healing also felt like rewarding stats personally, now it’s just an invisibly modifier rolled into Intellegence.

I miss spirit and MP5 as a healer. as well. :woman_shrugging:

I’m sure other people have some stats they miss from pervious expansions they’d want back.

Hit/Expertise were kind of annoying I agree tho.

13 Likes

They’re not going to bring back old stats. The current dev team is very obviously fine with everything being homogenized into a boring soup of mediocrity.

19 Likes

There’s that buzzword again!

13 Likes

Did you have a point, or did you really think that pointing out a single word would be enough?

6 Likes

I don’t think current raid design can support going back to everyone using mana. I dont think I want it to. If the choice is between

1.) sit around doing nothing to conserve for burn phase, repeat x4 or

2.) manage CDs instead of mana

I’m going for option 2.

16 Likes

Funny cause you didn’t really add anything to the discussion either except throw out buzzwords,.

6 Likes

I don’t think they’ll bring back old stats either. If anything I believe they’ll simplify stats more but keep adding more bonuses to roll on top of sockets/tertiary stats.

Even if it is a buzzword.

In the current context of stats in WoW, it’s not inaccurate.

Intellegence is just a catch all for casters
Strength is a catch all for non-dex based fighters
Dex is the catch all for non-str based fighters
Stamina is universal.

Haste is just faster no matter what
Critical, is just crit.
Verse is a stat that just reduces damage taken and increased damage dealt and healing done.
Mastery is the only thing that seems to really change from class to class, but some classes masteries are awful to the point no one gets it.

8 Likes

Fair enough. Personally, I always felt things like attack/spell power were redundant because strength/agility/intelligence already modified those values to begin with.

Spirit should 100% come back though. There was no reason to remove it.

5 Likes

Right, and adding annoying stats most people probably don’t want back is going to make things better how?

In fact, stats like mastery and versatility should just be removed. They bring NOTHING exciting to your character nor do they change any aspect of it.

2 Likes

And you’re of the assumption that “buzzwords” can’t add to a discussion because… Why exactly?

1 Like

I liked the differentiation of attack power vs str/agil.

If you got attack power, instead of str, that means your more damage orientated, and get less parry / block. So your not as tanky.

Same with dex, it’s pure damage increase, no crit, or dodge.

It still gave Agility / Str a purpose ,but also gave a neutral option to those just wanting more damage.

5 Likes

They’ve been adding other things to modify classes instead of having it on the gear. That’s what azerite and the legion weapon were supposed to be all about, thats what essences are about.

The execution is certainly debatable, but calling gear bland and ignoring what they’ve done to add change isn’t looking at the whole picture. Especially since traits and such are still part of the gear.

1% hit chance pls.

2 Likes

Versitility is a pretty boring stat. I can agree with that.

Mastery was suppose to have major impacts on all classes and help give classes and specializations a better feeling of the class. Since it was different for every class/specc

Blizzard dropped the ball on that.

Honestly, WoW is -too- simple IMHO. They keep cutting stuff, and it feels like less of an RPG, and more of a very basic dungeon crawler. :confused:

1 Like

I also think mastery and versatility are really boring stats.

3 Likes

It never felt like a deep rpg. Not when I started in BC, not now, and not in classic. MMOs are always rpg-lite/arpgs or they fall flat on their faces pretty quickly with very few exceptions.

That being said, a well designed stat system does not require bloat where you have two modifiers affecting the same value. It is redundant and does nothing but clutter things, imo.

Where Blizzard dropped the ball was in trying to balance the relative power of the existing secondaries and in doing so, making them feel less impactful with few exceptions.

One such exception, for example, is a noIL frost mage. A noIL mage with 15% mastery is going to hit like a noodle (like 200Kish on a shattered glacial.) A noIL frost mage with 30-35% mastery or more will have glacial spikes critting for 400-500k each.

That is impactful and it’s just one example. If more specs had such drastic performance disparities based off of their stats folks would be happier I think.

4 Likes

They said it’s not a stat rework