Can we talk about the book?

This isnt true. He even mention he think the event was “unforgivable”.

1 Like

To add to this thread, these are the passages that people have been pointing out as being quite bad:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF_IWGrVIAEUeuF?format=png&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF-0bGYXsAQnPFD?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF_TuldVkAE-SuK?format=png&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGCvVVrVgAISt6W?format=png&name=small

Edit: What the OP posted was the rundown that I got from reading the passages folks posted on Twitter and on various other sites. The impression given is that Zekhan is an illiterate troll taught how to read and write by an elf that is horribly racist to Goblins at every chance he gets, doesn’t understand why Night Elves continue to fight a war no one wants (indicating he thinks they should let it go), and making note that apparently Rexxar is a slavedriver and Gazlowe is as bad as Gallywix. It isn’t a good look for him, nor anyone in Kalimdor.

6 Likes

That particular lore about the goblins was added since Cata. And I dont think it was ever suppose to relate to being jewish insert and suppose to be part of the whole “greedy capitalist that doesnt care about nature” aspect of the goblins.

1 Like

Sheesh. That’ll teach me to trust out-of-context statements.

I guess I’m so used to every instance of bad Blizzard writing being true. We’re living in a crazy time.

Thanks for expanding a bit Rhuor! I just had to come laugh about it as soon as I read it.

1 Like

The issue with the goblins polluting Kalimdor waters seems like a fair complaint to me. :woman_shrugging: The Southfury River water being so polluted that it cannot even be drank is pretty massive.

6 Likes

The complaint is that it’s a racial stereotype, actually.

No, but it definitely comes off as tone deaf along with everything else in the book. I think the part about Lore’themar teaching Zekhan how to write is the most egregious part of the book, especially since Zekhan apparently even mentions that letters are sent from the Echo Isles to Orgrimmar which makes no sense as to why he couldn’t read or write. But the correlation between Jewish culture and Goblins has been noted for quite a few years and continues to add to the issue that most of the Horde races are traditionally seen as low intelligence monsters, along with adding in very clear real world tie ins to minority races. This just makes it seem like a direct insult to those races they are based on.

This book was a chance to celebrate Kalimdor. Instead, it makes the Horde look horrible and inept, and the Night Elves just get stomped on more.

2 Likes

How? The Goblins had a literal polluted lake in Orgrimmar. It’s not a stereotype, that was a literal thing that had.

4 Likes

Looks good to me.

It’s hardly a stereotype when every goblin faction depicted so far does that sort of thing.

But regardless, it’s unimportant. The statement is technically true - “Our goblin allies spoiled the waters.” It is true, at least of the area the goblins are located at.

1 Like

Maybe. But this has been lore since Cata. And the goblins are just as readily capable of destroying entire forests. Why wouldnt they be reckless enough to pollute their main source of drinking water if profit was involved?

I hope Bliz is going with the reckless industrialist side of goblins for this.

Every time we visit a goblin area, it’s usually been exploited for short term profit.

Honestly, there’s so many better things to get mad about than goblins anyway.

1 Like

This is still WARcraft, right?

Or does everybody want less war and more topless pillow fights now to resolve conflicts? I’m okay with either, I just need to know what train I’m getting on.

Everyone needs to be reskinned humans with the same basic set of morals.

1 Like

Hey look, I’m never going to turn down a topless pillow fight.

The problem isn’t that conflicts exist, it’s that they’re so flimsy and poorly constructed. I just view the story as a comedy at this point, so it doesn’t bother me any :smiley:

5 Likes

One of my actual gripes about the book is that pretty much everything is back to status quo.

Which means the night elves and worgen trounced the Horde. Again. And we didn’t see it. Again. Just like Cata!

This is not what I had in mind when I said “I like a bit of nostalgia.”

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d say it’s because the writing is made for children but I’m fairly certain children don’t even play this game so I don’t know who TF they are writing this cliche story for.

They really, really are.

2 Likes

The main issue there is twofold, I think:

One point is Goblins have been tied to Jewish caricatures for quite a long time now, and poisoning the well is a derogatory remark to Jewish individuals.

Second point is that this shows there has been no advancement in Kalimdor since apparently Cataclysm, and this is the part I think I’m more frustrated with. While the racial connections to Jewish people was always loose with me compared to other parallels, the fact that this shows there hasn’t been any improvement just indicates that the Horde doesn’t care about nature or the like. Which goes directly against at least three of the main races.

That’s more my take on it, but I’m also just relaying what people have been complaining about on Twitter.

Yeah, from what I could read there hasn’t been any progress since the Cataclysm. Which honestly just feels like bad storytelling. It doesn’t paint anyone in a good light compared to the Eastern Kingdoms one which felt more like a buddy tour of victory for the Alliance.

3 Likes

It does confirm Warsong Gulch belongs to the Alliance now. So there is that one change.